Phil Robertson to Speak at GOP Convention

Opposition to gay marriage pretty much is hate. It has no practical purpose but to shit on gay people.

Robertson's recent notoriety (the reason they're bringing him in to speak) was based on an interview where he implied that homosexuality was the biggest problem with America. No, not hateful at all.

No it isn't. im glad you are not attacking me for my point of view, that I appreciate, but this isn't an argument you can win as I know how I feel, and I don't hate anybody except for a few notorious people and one dude who made my life hell as a kid.....no gay people have ever made my shit list except for that deranged bastard dan savage. but most of that hate stems from the fact that he is a bully, and advised some woman to have her dog put down because it didn't like her new boyfriend. I would stomp that son of a bitch flatter than a CD if I could..just a shame that there are people who will cry "homophobic Nazi", largely ignoring the fact that I want to stomp him out for being a dickhead

Well Americans were correct in coming to his defense over the initial comments that got him in trouble but they don't need to now try and use him as a spokesperson for the party or for an issue.

I can't imagine him having much of anything substantive to add.

Well he is a smart man. I just think its another pointless celebrity speaker.

Opposition to gay marriage pretty much is hate. It has no practical purpose but to shit on gay people.

Robertson's recent notoriety (the reason they're bringing him in to speak) was based on an interview where he implied that homosexuality was the biggest problem with America. No, not hateful at all.

Some people are against gays getting married because that is not marriage and it has never been marriage throughout history. Some like Phil believe homosexual acts are sinful acts. The Gay Mafia wants to change the definition of marriage. And they are spreading this lie that people who don't support gay marriage are bigots who hate gays.

Some people are against gays getting married because that is not marriage and it has never been marriage throughout history.

So they're against equal rights because of...tradition?

Sorry black people, you need to stay in the back of the bus. It's not because we dislike you or anything. This is totally just the way we've always done it.

Some like Phil believe homosexual acts are sinful acts.

I can't imagine why viewing people as inherently sinful would be considered hateful.

The Gay Mafia wants to change the definition of marriage. And they are spreading this lie that people who don't support gay marriage are bigots who hate gays.

The "Gay Mafia"?

So they're against equal rights because of...tradition?

Gays have the same rights as heteros. They can marry the opposite sex.

I can't imagine why viewing people as inherently sinful would be considered hateful.

I know that I'm a sinner. So are all my friends. I don't hate them.

The "Gay Mafia"?

[YT]watch?v=LoectiG_n7k[/YT]

Gays have the same rights as heteros. They can marry the opposite sex.

Give me a break. The current law, in most states, is set up to prevent gay people from marrying because gay people have no interest in the opposite sex.

We could ban Judaism and say "everyone has the same right" to practice things other than Judaism. It would be technically true, but not in a meaningful way.

I know that I'm a sinner. So are all my friends. I don't hate them.

Do you think you're a sinner based on an unchosen trait fundamental to your being?

[YT]watch?v=LoectiG_n7k[/YT]
[/QUOTE]

I don't think Bill Maher's joke is representative of the 50%+ of the population who support marriage equality.

Is ripskater TCK's twin or something?

"Marry the opposite sex" and all that.

Anyone have a guess as to the strategy behind having him as a speaker?

Honestly, I really don't. This is why my theory of the GOP intentionally taking a dive sounds somewhat plausible.

The fact of the matter is, the country is shying away from far right, religious zealots.

If you want to win local elections in backwood areas in Alabama, Kentucky, West Virgina, Mississippi, yeah...sure...appeal to people like Robertson...

if you want to win National Elections, it's best not to appease folk like Robertson.

Turnout. It could well be that they've given up on expanding their base beyond rural white guys, at least for the next election cycle. If they are going to stick with that increasingly smaller percentage of the population and not expand, then they need to get out the vote. On way to try to do that is to get people that normally don't vote mobilized early and invested in the campaign. What better way to get the whisky tangos of the world going than by putting Filthy Phil out front and center.

They need a real man with guts and courage to deliver some wisdom and common sense to them.

Turnout. It could well be that they've given up on expanding their base beyond rural white guys, at least for the next election cycle. If they are going to stick with that increasingly smaller percentage of the population and not expand, then they need to get out the vote. On way to try to do that is to get people that normally don't vote mobilized early and invested in the campaign. What better way to get the whisky tangos of the world going than by putting Filthy Phil out front and center.

Why him, specifically though? What about him is going to get their base excited?

Honestly, I really don't. This is why my theory of the GOP intentionally taking a dive sounds somewhat plausible.

The fact of the matter is, the country is shying away from far right, religious zealots.

If you want to win local elections in backwood areas in Alabama, Kentucky, West Virgina, Mississippi, yeah...sure...appeal to people like Robertson...

if you want to win National Elections, it's best not to appease folk like Robertson.

The GOP is not intentionally tanking the presidential election. Why the hell would they do that?

Why him, specifically though? What about him is going to get their base excited?

I don't know anything about that. But the Republican party is full of sissies. They need him to speak. That's what I mean.

This is just sad...

Its one thing to stand up for someone who is being witchhunted by overly pc zealots. Its another to give him a microphone and a platform to speak at your conference. It tells me that the GOP is hopelessly tone deaf and are going to stay that way.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/duck-dynastys-robertson-address-gop-conference

Wow, what a terrible mistake, the night he speaks, the coverage will be about him and his perceived bigotry, not about the GOP.

He's hugely popular in some circles. His show is popular. People look at him and the family he has and think that's the right way to live. He's got a message that appeals to more than just the religious base, because while his mouth says "I loves me some jeebus" his look says he is a hell-raising good time man.

Either that, or they are going to be running on a duck genocide platform.

Back