Phil Davis Says That Vinny Magalh

It's saying stupid shit like this that keeps people from respecting the opinions of white belts. Phil has zero chance of subbing Vinny. Phil having comparable bjj to Vinny is so absurd that words cannot describe it.

Well, he can sub Vinny if he rocks him pretty bad before. That's how Jones gets most of his subs.

Yeah because jiu jitsu is exactly the same when your opponent can drop elbows on your face. This is an mma fight, not a bjj match, lighten up.

Saying that its totally absurd to claim that phil subbing vinny is possible shows that you fail to grasp what mma is.

Is it possible that Davis could "win by sub", yes. Someone rocks someone else and slaps on a choke -- they call it a win by sub, even though the getting rocked was the real game winner.

But the likelihood of Davis creating a sub out of whole cloth on Davis is pretty slim. I'd bet against that 99x out of a hundred.

OTOH, if Vinnie gets ahold of Davis on the ground, the smart bet is snappin or tappin (and in the case of stubbrnness, nappin).

Yeah because jiu jitsu is exactly the same when your opponent can drop elbows on your face. This is an mma fight, not a bjj match, lighten up.

Saying that its totally absurd to claim that phil subbing vinny is possible shows that you fail to grasp what mma is.

I was replying to someone who claimed their bjj skills were comparable. I happen to think Phil would win by decision in a mma match. I've followed mma for well over a decade so i'm perfectly cognizant of what it is and yes it is utterly absurd to think Phil can submit Vinny with anything other than strikes.

If either of their rear ends even comes close to the canvas I got Vinny by sub, no questions asked.

Why are you guys feeding ShaolinTroll and TrollNova?? It's obvious these retards are just getting a rise out of yall getting mad lol

Vinny easily could have met Phil Davis at a catch weight, I would say Vinny looks pretty stupid at this point.

Vinny isn't afraid of anyone, i doubt he'd duck Davis.

lol, if that fights turns out to be a grappling match Davis is fucked.

I haven't ever participated in one, but, if it happens, I'd sigbet that Phil would win that won in MMA. Vinny might outgrapple him at Abu-Dhabi, but in an MMA fight, with punch's/elbows etc...Phil would get the better of the wrestling exchanges. Vinny isn't going to stop Phil from taking him down and Phil's top game is pretty much the best at LHW (or really close to it).

Sure, Vinny can sub him, but, it seems as if Phil knows what hes doing on the ground and I don't think he's going to make a huge mistake and allow himself to get subbed. It can happen, I just don't think it will.

But, I'd be willing to sigbet on it whenever the fight happen.s

I was replying to someone who claimed their bjj skills were comparable. I happen to think Phil would win by decision in a mma match. I've followed mma for well over a decade so i'm perfectly cognizant of what it is and yes it is utterly absurd to think Phil can submit Vinny with anything other than strikes.

Ahh well obviously their overall bjj skills are totally not on the same level

But keep in mind that even a bjj wizard becomes vulnerable to submissions when rocked. The chances of phil tapping a full in control vinny are close to non existant though Ill give it to you.

Matt Hughes choked out Ricardo Almeida. What makes you think someone with a large arsenal of subs can't submit a high level black belt in the right situation?

Don't think you grasp the concept of MMA well if you've been a "fan for well over a decade" and don't understand that it can happen.

Last edited:
?? You are comparing a high level black belt in Belcher to a blue belt in Davis?

Davis has better BJJ than Belcher lol

Of course in the ADCC Vinny would have a HUGE advantage, and probably sub him, but this isn't ADCC or straight grappling. This is a MMA fight where he can punch Vinny in the face. Why couldn't Vinny sub Eliot Marshall in their fight?

save the white belt shit, does Vinny's nuts taste good? wtf do you mean Phil has ZERO chance at subbing Vinny? guess what purple belt noob? Vinny has no chance at beating Phil Davis at anything?

see how I can make up shit like you, shall we demote yo lame ass back to white belt

Lol someone is sensitive. Show in the doll where he touched you son.

On topic Vinny by sub or Davis by UD although Phil striking is so horrible that maybe Vinny can win on the feet

Matt Hughes choked out Ricardo Almeida. What makes you think someone with a larger arsenal of subs can't submit a high level black belt in the right situation?

Don't think you grasp the concept of MMA well if you've been a "fan for well over a decade" and don't understand that it can happen.

Yes and Hughes is a far superior submission grappler than Davis. I have no doubt Davis could rock Vinny and attempt a sub. However, Davis grabbing a sub and Hughes grabbing a sub are two different things. There is much less of a bjj skill gap between Hughes and Almeida than Phil and Vinny. And I don't agree that Davis has "a larger arsenal of subs" than Vinny. I can guarantee you that the last thing Davis will do if he rocks Vinny is go for a submission hold. He'll keep it standing or try to finish with ground & pound.

Oh boy this is a very bad matchup for Vinny.Phil has great top control and good BJJ.
Most of his wins are subs from the top.
Not sure what Vinny saw to make him think Phil would be good for him.

davis is probably one of the guys in the top 10 at 205 that vinny has the best chance against. i thought he'd be fighting someone like matt hammil.

Davis has better BJJ than Belcher lol

WTF? No

Davis has good top control and submissions but he's not on Belcher's level. Davis looked terrible off of his back against Rashad. Rashad was able to pass fairly easily and had him trapped in the crucifix multiple times. Granted, Rashad is a black belt but still

Yes and Hughes is a far superior submission grappler than Davis. I have no doubt Davis could rock Vinny and attempt a sub. However, Davis grabbing a sub and Hughes grabbing a sub are two different things. There is much less of a bjj skill gap between Hughes and Almeida than Phil and Vinny. And I don't agree that Davis has "a
larger arsenal of subs" than Vinny. I can guarantee you that the last thing Davis will do if he rocks Vinny is go for a submission hold. He'll keep it standing or try to finish with ground & pound.

Hughes was way better in grappling than Davis? Hmmm. No I dont think so.

I would comfortably put money on Davis if the match is made against Maghlaes. You know there's problems when people cant talk about MMA rankings but instead talk about other meaningless rankings like BJJ.

Davis is top 10.

Vinny is fringe top 20 at best.

Oh boy this is a very bad matchup for Vinny.Phil has great top control and good BJJ.
Most of his wins are subs from the top.
Not sure what Vinny saw to make him think Phil would be good for him.

Phil Davis would never submit Vinny. Never.

Back