• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News PFL officially purchases Bellator

Three things they should / must do

1. Drop the tournaments

2. PFL vs Bellator Champs

3. Start a top 20 (?) rankings

I guess I'm a Zuffa Zombie these days because I just don't care at all about Bellator or PFL. I was really hoping Bellator was going to be the next Strikeforce (which I loved) but it never came close. I just don't like the production or presentation of either product. Hopefully since PFL is buying up some big stars, that will change but as of now, they really need some work to compete with the UFC.

I liked Strikeforce because it stood out as being different. It had almost a professional sports vibe to it. Bellator came across as a poor man's UFC and that's just not going to work. Do something different.

I don't see this as a big blow to the UFC or anything. PFL obtained some good fighters and need to capitalize on delivering fights we want to see (mostly comprised of Bellator fighters because there are like 5 PFL fighters that are of interest). Their (PFL) product is a bit convoluted. No one cares about the smart cage or how fast a punch was thrown. They need to do the following to make the product digestable for the average person:

1. Keep your play-off season to stand out but it should really just be a tournament to win a cash prize and fight the champion. PFL needs "champions" to market to the public audience. Can't have a "champion" relinquish their status each season. Makes no sense.
2. Have regular "fight night" cards. PFL and Bellator should have a roster to deliver cards. You get viewers by having shows. Bellator and PFL don't have enough shows so its hard for the product to just "stick".
3. Build out a mens 125, 135 and 185 division. You can't have Eblen and Mix just standing by without challengers.
4. Make your 2 PPV cards mean something. They should be offering Nate the bank to get this Paul fight and get Wilder on board. Throw in Cyborg/Harrison, some PFL vs Bellator champs and you've got a pretty decent card potentinally worth $50.

My $0.02

I like the PFL tournament structure, I hope they will succeed with this merger with Bellator.

dana-white-austin-powers.gif

If PFL folds Bellator you've literally deleted his only competition(in the US) because Bellators talent will mostly leave. If they do the opposite and migrate the PFL to Bellator they're just Bellator with better funding and cover the UFC's ass on the monopoly stuff. The UFCs brand advantage is big enough where if Bellator had surpassed UFC in the cage no one would acknowledge it.

Lol no. Unless PFL keeps getting investor money, they will be defunct in a couple of years. They are charging 50 bucks for their next card. The UFC draws more people to one show than will consume the PPV. Probably more than double. So the UFC isn't worried about a promotion that nobody cares about.

If PFL/Bellator CEO was smart they would sell all their assets and fighters so that they can acquire the GOAT Jon Jones.
Once Jones joins PFL everyone will want to come over and the UFC will be bankrupt

Back