Pfizer, BioNTech say Covid vaccine is more than 90% effective—‘great day for science and humanity’

Operation Warp Speed Has Invested Billions in Potential COVID-19 Vaccines
By Ambrish Shah

Updated 2 months ago

The U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed program has invested about 10 billion in six potential coronavirus vaccine candidates. The Trump administration has locked in a minimum of 800 million doses as soon as the vaccines are approved. So far, the coronavirus has infected about 6.4 million people in the U.S.

What is Operation Warp Speed?
The Operation Warp Speed (OWS) program was initiated by the Trump administration to accelerate the development, manufacturing, and distribution of the coronavirus vaccines and treatments. The goal of the OWS program is to provide about 300 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine by January 2021.

Drug giant AstraZeneca said it had paused a trial of its coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers.

It’s a standard precaution, meant to ensure experimental vaccines don’t cause serious reactions among volunteers. https://t.co/Z1uO0e0KPX

— CNN (@CNN) September 8, 2020

Operation Warp Speed funding
Under the OWS program, the U.S. government has invested about $10 billion in six vaccine candidates. The government has paid AstraZeneca, Moderna, Pfizer, and Novavax about $1.2 billion, $1.53 billion, $1.95 billion, and $1.6 billion as part of the OWS program, respectively. Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi, and GlaxoSmithKline have also received funding from the OWS program for their coronavirus vaccines. The drug makers have received funding from the U.S. government to pay for manufacturing or distributing the vaccines or to help support clinical development.

pfizer-owl-program-1599842693961.jpg

Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine
Pfizer is developing four COVID-19 vaccines in partnership with Germany-based BioNTech. The most advanced vaccine, BNT162b1, is in late-stage human trials. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said that it would pay Pfizer and BioNTech about $1.95 billion to produce and deliver 100 million doses of coronavirus vaccine with the option to buy 500 million additional doses. The companies expect to make up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and about 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021.

https://marketrealist.com/p/operation-warp-speed-companies/

<TheDonald>

But if the vulnerable people take it then it doesn't really matter if it spreads. It's not like it's an extremely dangerous virus, it's death rate is very similar to the flu. People can go back to work and just focus on protecting those with weakened immune systems.
The mortality rate aside, the bad thing about Covid-19 is that it can cause brain damage, which - even if it wasn't deadlier than the flu - makes it a far worse thing to contract.

I didn't realize Trump was a scientist at Pfizer! That's pretty cool!

But really, this shouldn't be politicized. Trump doesn't get credit, Biden doesn't get credit. Everyone should just be glad we are likely to have an effective vaccine and be able to get back to normal life by 2021.

Right? I agree. This shouldn't be a partisan thing. I have two kids who will be going to school in a couple years, I want them to have a normal life. Plus I haven't been to the movies on a date night with my wife since this started. Lets get this rolling and stop bickering left or right on this.

You and I are now pals...until we disagree on something. Then I'll report you to the mods for hurting my feelings.

If you think I'm behaving petty that's really a shame. Because I'm just trying to behave like you guys have for the past four years.
Edginess intensifies! But really, you've always acted exactly like this so whats the real answer?

Get used to it snowflake.
Like I said, your immaturity is not new.

Edginess intensifies! But really, you've always acted exactly like this so whats the real answer?

Like I said, your immaturity is not new.

Well that is correct, I've always did my best to play the mirror for you imbeciles.

Their vaccine is still part of the "operation".
It is not. Yes, Pfizer will be paid for the products they will deliver, obviously, and yes, the US government has pre-ordered x amount of doses (100 million I believe), just as many, MANY other nations have (we, The Netherlands, have a pre-order for ~10 million doses), but they explicitly stated they did not want to be a part of OWS, and took zero money from OWS for the development of this vaccine.

So you openly admit that one side of the aisle sat on a cure for a virus that killed hundreds of thousands because of TDS and you're fucking happy about it.

So much for humanity I guess.

That’s how I felt when trump said the virus was over for six months while a thousand people died each day and his supporters were like “TDS is the real virus”

Maybe you’re missing the point?

also how does it feel to be so wrong?

If, and that's a big if, Pfizer waited until election results to make this announcement, then it says a lot about their faith in Trump and what he would do with this information, or how this could influence his election chances. Withholding the announcement would mean they don't want Trump to benefit from it.

There’s more to it that that. In reality, they probably didn’t want Trump talking up their vaccine before the election because Kamala and the Democrats were on the record admitting that they’d wade right into the the politicization game. Anything Trump touted, they were going to take a hostile stance toward. Pfizer didn’t want their product to become a political football.

A bunch of soy boy scientists who hate Trump for being a jackass saved the economy

It is not. Yes, Pfizer will be paid for the products they will deliver, obviously, and yes, the US government has pre-ordered x amount of doses (100 million I believe), just as many, MANY other nations have (we, The Netherlands, have a pre-order for ~10 million doses), but they explicitly stated they did not want to be a part of OWS, and took zero money from OWS for the development of this vaccine.
So they are getting paid on the back end...U.S. Govt promised them billions if they developed an effective vaccine and I imagine they will take the money once it is ready for distribution. They had an incentive to develop it fast or they would possibly lose out to other companies. OWS worked.

Back