Pfizer, BioNTech say Covid vaccine is more than 90% effective—‘great day for science and humanity’

This vaccine is first of it's kind, an mRNA vaccine, which is pretty cool. I'm sure this will revolutionize how vaccines are made in the future.

They chose the spike protein as the target of their vaccine, which is what the virus uses to penetrate cells and the main antigenic component that induces immune responses.

So mRNA codes proteins. This little strand mRNA they're using just codes the spike protein of the virus. So it's coated in this lipid barrier which is protecting the mRNA, gets it into cells, gets transcribed into this spike protein, and then the presence of this protein triggers an immune response against the spike protein.

They basically just need this little piece of mRNA and a vehicle to get it in the cell. Sounds simple, but it had never been done before in humans.

90% is super good. I think that is better than what they were probably hoping for. Still tons of questions to answer, including how long it lasts, safety issues, and subgroup analysis.

Another issue that people aren't talking much about is how this is going to get distributed. They say half a billion doses before end of the year, and Trump said something about the military or something. But these vaccines will have to be kept at cold temperatures. I think distribution will be a problem, especially in more rural areas.

Moderna is also mRNA and has been in development for 8 years. It was originally commissioned to fight MERS. Since both are coronavirus and since mRNA vaccines only create the protein spike it was easy to shift quickly to COVID.

U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and German biotech firm BioNTech announced Monday their coronavirus vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection, hailing the development as “a great day for science and humanity.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/cov...ercent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

This is great news and all, but it seems a little fishy that this is all happening immediately after the election.

China should pay for the global dissemination of the vaccine. If not they should get that vaccine last.

I'll likely have to be one of the first to get it due to my type of work. Hope I don't turn into a zombie

Dr Gottlieb who is FDA Commisioner and Pfizer BoD predicted that the data on this vaccine would come out in November.
He also said the Vaccine wont be available to the general public until Q2 or Q3 next year.

He still believes it will be Q2 when most people are able to get one

But the flu is highly transmissible and healthy people don't want to get the flu but we never did this for the influenza pandemics. Why would we do it for a coronavirus pandemic? The media has completely exaggerated this illness imo. People are finally starting to realize now that they were manipulated by MSM.
Who cares what the media says? Listen to your public health officials (they're scientists). No, they have no exaggerated the deadliness of COVID.

Last year only 22K people died from the flu. That's an unusually low year, but this year, due to the lockdown measures, it will be even less. Yet, this year, with those same lockdown measures, we already have 239K COVID deaths, and we're probably going to end up a little shy of 300K at the rate we're going.

COVID won't have proven 10x as deadly this year. It will probably end up around 25x-30x as deadly. The flu vaccine only prevents several thousand deaths a year.

This vaccine is first of it's kind, an mRNA vaccine, which is pretty cool. I'm sure this will revolutionize how vaccines are made in the future.

They chose the spike protein as the target of their vaccine, which is what the virus uses to penetrate cells and the main antigenic component that induces immune responses.

So mRNA codes proteins. This little strand mRNA they're using just codes the spike protein of the virus. So it's coated in this lipid barrier which is protecting the mRNA, gets it into cells, gets transcribed into this spike protein, and then the presence of this protein triggers an immune response against the spike protein.

They basically just need this little piece of mRNA and a vehicle to get it in the cell. Sounds simple, but it had never been done before in humans.

90% is super good. I think that is better than what they were probably hoping for. Still tons of questions to answer, including how long it lasts, safety issues, and subgroup analysis.

Another issue that people aren't talking much about is how this is going to get distributed. They say half a billion doses before end of the year, and Trump said something about the military or something. But these vaccines will have to be kept at cold temperatures. I think distribution will be a problem, especially in more rural areas.
I highly doubt it'll even be close to 90 percent effective. But saying so made some more insider traders money, so there's that.

How does that moot the point that Dems were undermining everything the pres did with covid?

And btw, the Mount Sinai study said that NY's outbreak was predominately from Europe.

Er, that's exactly what I said in my OP. And how did the Dems undermine everything the president did with Covid? The guy has openly mocked any form of state lockdown or the use of masks. The president couldn't even keep his own white house safe.

You know what, let's take a different approach.
If there hadn't been an OWS, would Pfizer have started development of this vaccine, yes or no?
Stop with the hypotheticals and read what the company itself said. Pfizer absolutely was part of Operation Warp Speed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.amp.html

Operation Warp Speed, the federal effort to rush a vaccine to market, has promised Pfizer $1.95 billion to deliver 100 million doses to the federal government, which will be given to Americans free of charge. But Dr. Jansen sought to distance the company from Operation Warp Speed and presidential politics, noting that the company — unlike the other vaccine front-runners — did not take any federal money to help pay for research and development.

“We were never part of the Warp Speed,” she said on Sunday. “We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.” On Monday, a spokeswoman for Pfizer clarified that the company is part of Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential coronavirus vaccine.

Russia already made a vaccine.

But trust corrupt for profit Pfizer

Er, that's exactly what I said in my OP. And how did the Dems undermine everything the president did with Covid? The guy has openly mocked any form of state lockdown or the use of masks. The president couldn't even keep his own white house safe.

Travel restriction were"racist and xenophobic"; "buying supplies from Russia was wrong because they're our adversary"; tried to goad him to declare national emergency while simultaneously claiming he was using the virus to become a dictator.

Fuck me, even Kamala Harris' top aide got covid - you can only control for yourself and even then you better hope the fest of your family take the right precautions 100% of the time.

Herd immunity is best achieved by natural infection, and those who have a very low chance of severe reactions and catch Covid serve the population much more than those who take a short acting vaccine.

200w.gif

I Think every Biden voter should be given the first round of injections..You know , kind of like a reward for your guy winning...

The injection won't do any good for people that died in 1980.

Last edited:
Reactions: 241
Back