People in the know re: BJJ honest question (Jacare, Roger, Maia)

Jacare's hands already look better than Maia's and his takedowns are good too. Maia's MMA grappling still looks better than Jacare's though. Not sure about Roger, I think he needs plenty more experience in the MMA world.

Roger is the BJJ GOAT of the modern era, nobody is even close to him......this is not debatable.
Jacare is also well ahead of Maia in terms of BJJ accomplishments.

Not that it means anything, but Roger tapped Alex Reid out 15 times in 5 mins in a rolling session at his gym in London.
Reid showed up with a team of cameramen supposedly making a documentary at Gracie's gym and proceeded to be humiliated.

wut? this is in bjj terms, AS did not want anything to do with maias ground game...

That's not the point I was making. I was saying that up til Anderson Silva, Maia was tearing up 185 with his BJJ, then after he lost to Anderson, he neglected his BJJ game for the most part. But now that he's in 170, he is back to his basics which he is the best at.

I think he's better than Jacare and Roger in MMA BJJ

The good thing now is all three are within walking distance of 185 lbs and likely in UFC at the same time, so hopefully UFC doesn't let the opportunity to match all three against each other slip away like they didn't do the Kimbo vs. Seth P rematch.

That's not the point I was making. I was saying that up til Anderson Silva, Maia was tearing up 185 with his BJJ, then after he lost to Anderson, he neglected his BJJ game for the most part. But now that he's in 170, he is back to his basics which he is the best at.

I think he's better than Jacare and Roger in MMA BJJ

I think he has achived more in MMA than both, I think he is a better fighter than Roger, but I think Jacare will beat him quite easily, as a matter of fact, jacare has better wins under his belt, if you compare the both of them, although, Maia has lost to better names than jacare.

Roger's BJJ isn't as good as it used to be either.

You dont know wtf you're talking about. The poster above sort of explains some things but not the most important one in that Roger was badly ill leading up to that fight. Just a few minutes in that match Roger is completely exhausted, but he still managed to be competitive throughout the match.
A healthy Roger would easily smash Buchecha and probably Rodolfo too.
But I agree with most that MMA is not the best place for him to be in. Many fighters can expose his weaknesses.

The real answer is, they are all high-level enough to catch each other on any given night. They are the cream of the crop elite of BJJ in all of MMA, and I would throw Vinny Magalhaes in there as well.

But with all three, their BJJ skills will probably deteriorate as they commit more to MMA. That has already happened with Jacare and Maia. Jacare has recently announced retirement from BJJ competition after losing badly in his most recent BJJ match. I am not sure how serious Roger is about his MMA career, but I'd think he's the most likely of the three to go back to being a full-time BJJ practitioner

THIS. A lot of people fail to realize this simple fact, especially here on Sherdog.

It doesn't matter what discipline it is, even if you were elite at it, your skills will go down if you spread your time over different arts. People think if you're a BJJ or kickboxing or wrestling champ, that when you transition to MMA, you're still "world class" in those skills. This is not true. This is what allows guys like GSP to catch up in wrestling ability (applicable to MMA), or why BJJ black belts can be subbed by lower or even non-ranked grapplers, or why K-1 strikers get knocked out in MMA.

im not sure if you didnt see the links i posted or you don't understand the notion of a gym. either way stop trolling

ugh.... when can this bullshit about blackhouse being some giant gym where all the top level fighters train together stop. Do some more research, every time i hear this it makes me cringe. AS, Machida, JDS and the NOGS ARENT TRAINING TOGETHER EVERYDAY IN SOME GIANT GYM IN BRAZIL. TRUTH IS THEY RARELY TRAIN WITH EACHOTHER. blackhouse is a management team

this gym is in LA -_-

your telling me you really think every black house fighter does his training camp there??? your such a noob

you must be the same troll as earlier. he didn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" either

this is a picture of a gym, just any old gym. anyone can go to it. like any other gym. you don't have to train with the same people all of the time. like any other gym.

1_gymempty.jpg

on another note I have recently received quite serious medical news that you were an accident. could you kindly report to your nearest hospital to be put down

You just can't keep at that super elite level imo. Once you start to train other things like striking, wrestling, etc you lose an edge.

Back