People in the know re: BJJ honest question (Jacare, Roger, Maia)

jacare and maia both only have 1 adcc championship. the rest are runner ups and superfight wins

the rest are a few world and pan championships. Jacare doesnt destroy maia in his list of accomplishments. he has just done a few more super fights and absolutes.

Jacare:
Grappling credentials
ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship:
ADCC 2011 Superfight Runner-up (against Braulio Estima)
ADCC 2009 Superfight Champion (against Robert Drysdale)
ADCC 2005 77 – 87kg: 1st Place
ADCC 2005 Openweight: 2nd Place
ADCC 2003 77 – 87kg: 2nd Place
ADCC 2003 Brazilian Qualifiers 77 – 87kg: 1st Place
CBJJ World Championships:
2005 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
2005 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
2004 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 2nd Place
2004 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
2003 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
2003 Brown Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
2002 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
2002 Brown Belt Open Weight: 2nd Place
2001 Purple Belt Middle: 1st Place
2001 Purple Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
CBJJ Pan American Championships:
2004Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
2004 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
CBJJ European Championships:
2005 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
2005 Black Belt Open Weight: 2nd Place
CBJJ Brazilian Championships:
2004 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
BJJ World Cup:
2005 Black belt: 2nd place
2004 Black belt: 1st place

Maia
Grappling credentials
ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships
ADCC 2007 77–87 kg: 1st place
ADCC 2005 77–87 kg: 2nd place
CBJJ World Championships
2001 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: 2nd Place
2000 Purple Belt Medio-Pesado: 1st Place
1999 Blue Belt Medio: 2nd Place
CBJJ Brazilian Championships
2006 Black Belt Absolute: 2nd Place
BlackBelt Medium Heavy: =3rd Place
2002 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: =3rd Place
2001 Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: 1st Place
Brown Belt Medio-Pesado: =3rd Place
CBJJ Brazilian Team Championships
2003 Brown/Black Pesada: Master, 1st Place
2002 Brown/Black Pesada: Alliance, 2nd Place
2001 Brown/Black Pesada: Alliance, 1st Place
2000 Purple Belt Pesada: Alliance, 1st Place
CBJJO Copa Del Mundo
2005 −85 kg Black Belt: 1st Place
2003 Black Belt Meio Pesado: 3rd Place
Black Belt Absolute: 1st Place
2002 Black Belt Meio Pesado: 1st Place
Black Belt Absolute: 2nd Place

lol you are terrible.

Jacare won the CBJJ worlds at black belt 3 times and Maia 0. That was the biggest BJJ tournament in the world. It's like being a 3 time UFC champ vs a 0 time UFC champ.

He also won the BJJ world cup and came in 2nd while Maia didn't even place.

I mean you can't even read the accomplishments when they are right in front of you. Also lol at posting blue, purple, & brown belt places to make it seem closer. Black belt is all the matters.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a dick, but you're being ridiculous.

Last edited:
I believe it's Jacare, Roger, then Maia, but you could interchange Roger and Jacare
Yea no.

Roger is the ONLY correct answer the man subbed all 8 of his opponents one year I mean come on. He is the MJ or BJJ.

lol you are terrible.

Jacare won the CBJJ worlds at black belt 3 times and Maia 0. That was the biggest BJJ tournament in the world. It's like being a 3 time UFC champ vs a 0 time UFC champ.

He also won the BJJ world cup and came in 2nd while Maia didn't even place.

I mean you can't even read the accomplishments when they are right in front of you. Also lol at posting blue, purple, & brown belt places to make it seem closer. Black belt is all the matters.

thats what i got from bjj heroes fool.
the fact that maia beat jacare at black belt is enough to say he has accomplished enough to hang with him.
marcelo hasnt even beat jacare.
both won ADCC.
and jacare recently lost a decision to braulio estima.. also, a runner up superfight championship isnt a championship, its a loss ebcause theres only 1 fight. why did you add that to his list.

youre one of the few posters that gets on my nerves.

Roger destroys both of them anyway so it doesnt matter.
in MMA, its a toss up imo

thats what i got from bjj heroes fool.
the fact that maia beat jacare at black belt is enough to say he has accomplished enough to hang with him.
marcelo hasnt even beat jacare.
both won ADCC.
and jacare recently lost a decision to braulio estima.. also, a runner up superfight championship isnt a championship, its a loss ebcause theres only 1 fight. why did you add that to his list.

youre one of the few posters that gets on my nerves.

Roger destroys both of them anyway so it doesnt matter.
in MMA, its a toss up imo

What in gods name are you talking about... I didn't list the super fights, you did. LOL.

I didn't say Maia couldn't hang with Jacare. But Jacare is vastly more accomplished and was looked upon as the better BJJ practitioner during both of their heights.

What in gods name are you talking about... I didn't list the super fights, you did. LOL.

I didn't say Maia couldn't hang with Jacare. But Jacare is vastly more accomplished and was looked upon as the better BJJ practitioner during both of their heights.

Wouldnt say vastly. Look up the jacare mini doc. He says everyone hinks he is such an coomplished grappler, when really his career was short at hell. Dont feel like posting it cuz im on my phone.

Wouldnt say vastly. Look up the jacare mini doc. He says everyone hinks he is such an coomplished grappler, when really his career was short at hell. Dont feel like posting it cuz im on my phone.

He's being modest.

are you saying someone can't be accomplished if they have a short career?

Yea no.

Roger is the ONLY correct answer the man subbed all 8 of his opponents one year I mean come on. He is the MJ or BJJ.

instructor_lutter_pic.jpg

MMA: Jacare > Maia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roger
Pure BJJ: Maia > Jacare >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roger

Lol you couldn't be further from the truth in terms of BJJ

Roger is better in Pure BJJ by a fair way over Jacare, and a LONG way over Maia. In MMA, Jacare is by far the best out of the three (in my opinion)

Jacare is the best athlete.

I wouldn't really say Nate "nullified" Maia's BJJ; Maia got KO'd in 20 seconds, we don't really know how the fight would have gone if they had actually rolled.

As many other people have already stated, Gracie has the best BJJ of the three. He still has a lot to learn in terms of striking but with his massive reach he has the potential to do really well.

With his combination of BJJ, takedowns, and striking, I think Jacare is the most well-rounded of the three.

Quick black belt accomplishments for both

Jacare

Maia

Jacare is a multiple time world champ, while the only time Maia really won on the biggest stage at the highest level was his ADCC win in 2007. Not only did Jacare win way more tournaments at black belt, he won the most prestigious ones as well while Maia did not.

This, Maia's biggest accomplishment was winning ADCC which he almost certainly wouldn't have if Jacare was competing that year to beat him like he did the last time. Maia never won the Mundials, and not for lack of trying, while Jacare won the ABSOLUTE both times he competed. Maia's record is full of silver and bronze medals at less prestigious comps like nationals and team championships, while Jacare was taking home gold at the biggest stages.

I'd argue it's even more impressive that Jacare accomplished much more in his short competitive BJJ career as a black belt (less than two years before moving to MMA) than Maia managed in his much longer career. If Jacare had kept competing as long as Maia or Roger did, his medal count would almost certainly have approached Roger's, as the guys who were taking home gold after he left were the same guys he was dominating before.

Jacare's striking was very impressive vs. Herman.
I still think Maia's MMA > Jacare.

Yes you did. You said that black house is a gym of fighters. Which directly implies that the majority of fighters under BH train together. Similar to how the majority of aka train together under one roof. This was started by you when you told me it was a gym/team. I simply corrected you saying its a management team first and foremost. Then you showed me a video of Nogueiras gym which has BH in the title. This proved very little. I have repeated my self too many times so try to absorb all these information.

Roger worked at team Nogueira for a part of his training camp so lyoto cornered him. I believe he signed to BH recently but idk for sure so don't qoute me on that. I was wrong about roger not working with good strikers. He needs to continue working with good strikers in order to round out his game and become a force.

i shall try to absorb all "these information". you did not say that blackhouse was a management team first and foremost. you outright denied the issue that it was a gym and that is what the video proved.("Also black house isn't a gym, it's a management. So he must be at one of nogs gyms")

Moreover i said that blackhouse is a gym. i did not say that they all train together all of the time. you assumed that because you are a complete idiot/troll

I like Jacare's BJJ more than Roger's. He's won absolute against some BIG guys being a natural 170 at the time (he was so skinny back then) while Roger competed at HW. Jacare is probably the most naturally gifted BJJ practitioner of all time while Roger I'd say has been privy to certain Gracie "secrets" that other black belts will never know.

In terms of likingness.

I like maia the best. He's a treat to watch. jacare is okay. can get a lil boring. Roger don't care to see him lumbering around at all.

roger is like 3 weight class above jacare during their grappling heydays. maia impressed me the most because he looks unassuming & doesn't have the physical advantages that jacare has.

Roger has the best pure BJJ out of all three.

Jacare has the best TAKEDOWNS that actually allow him to put his elite BJJ to use. This aspect in addition to his solid striking makes him the most well-rounded Mixed Martial Artist of the three IMO

Maia is obviously the most seasoned/experienced of the three

But with all three, their BJJ skills will probably deteriorate as they commit more to MMA. That has already happened with Jacare and Maia. Jacare has recently announced retirement from BJJ competition after losing badly in his most recent BJJ match. I am not sure how serious Roger is about his MMA career, but I'd think he's the most likely of the three to go back to being a full-time BJJ practitioner

You're not going to get a better answer to this thread than the above.

Back