Pearson, "I'm hurting right now..."

Do some people realize not every fight or fighter can just be finished with more effort? Some fighters rarely get finished and some fighters aren't gonna finish certain guys. And it shouldn't be necessary.

Ross had the perfect game-plan. I expected him to be more conservative than Gil and use power, movement, and accuracy to pick Diego apart instead of just going toe-to-toe with him. And Gil is one of the best ever and still got caught and knocked down by an upper-cut he ran into by Diego in the third round of a fight he was killing him in. For a fighter to take huge risks and leave themselves open in a fight they have fought perfectly to go for a finish they may not even get makes no sense. Ross continued to stay aggressive in the 3rd instead of sitting on what should have been a 2-0 lead. But despite there being some horrendous decisions, most fights still get judged correctly. We just remember the bad ones because they were so bad.

But why even have a game-plan and strategy if your mind-set is I can't win without a finish before the fight even starts? It isn't the fighter's fault some of these judges are a joke. And it is one thing if it is a close fight and you think you are ahead where it is still better to guarantee of a stoppage then leave it to the judges. But Ross should have been very comfortable he had that fight won easily.

Do some people realize not every fight or fighter can just be finished with more effort? Some fighters rarely get finished and some fighters aren't gonna finish certain guys. And it shouldn't be necessary.

Ross had the perfect game-plan. I expected him to be more conservative than Gil and use power, movement, and accuracy to pick Diego apart instead of just going toe-to-toe with him. And Gil is one of the best ever and still got caught and knocked down by an upper-cut he ran into by Diego in the third round of a fight he was killing him in. For a fighter to take huge risks and leave themselves open in a fight they have fought perfectly to go for a finish they may not even get makes no sense. Ross continued to stay aggressive in the 3rd instead of sitting on what should have been a 2-0 lead. But despite there being some horrendous decisions, most fights still get judged correctly. We just remember the bad ones because they were so bad.

But why even have a game-plan and strategy if your mind-set is I can't win without a finish before the fight even starts? It isn't the fighter's fault some of these judges are a joke. And it is one thing if it is a close fight and you think you are ahead where it is still better to guarantee of a stoppage then leave it to the judges. But Ross should have been very comfortable he had that fight won easily.

Word, 100% my train of thought

See the fight was IMHO 30-27 clearly for Ross. But you can't just sit back and counter the way he did. He had multiple chances to really put a stamp on the fight and he didn't.

Yeah, but it was pretty easy to score it for Ross.

He can counter all he wants, Ross did a great job.

I disagree. If he accepted the reality that the judging is shifty and he's fighting overseas against someone fighting in there own town who's a fan and company favorite then you need to push the pace and not fight to win.

I felt like Ross was fighting to win, not to finish Diego and guess the fuck? He left opportunity for a lost like he did.

Right, hometown and home country advantage totally justify a whack judges decision in favor of a guy who wanted to look good and survive more than he wanted to win. I see your point.

I agree. That Jeff guy that scored it for Diego should not be a judge. He should lose his job for that one, or at least get a different AC job than judging.

Take a bum off the street to replace him. Couldn't be worse.

Said bum is probably owed fewer favors by members of the NMAC. It is really hard to hold government employees responsible for incompetence.

You are spot on!

I personally think he won 29-28 eeaasssyyyy if not a 30-27 but he needs to blame himself, not the judges. You can't win back pedaling popshooting. Machida vs Rampage told us this.
fuck that. Im sick of people blaming the fighter because they were under the impression judges would do their jobs competently. Its the judges and only the judges at fault.

Strange usually when Dana feels the decision was wrong he usually pays the fighter. It's happened in the past for far less controversial decisions. Why not now?

I don't even think he was at the fight. But he'll most likely give him a win bonus.

Here is another case in point that I want to bring up to those in disagreement with ross' performance or the whole 'don't leave it in the hands of the judges' / 'didn't do enough' disagreeing argument.

While those disagreements are true in some cases, with Ross it wasn't - like I've explained he fought an effective, clear winning strategy. It was wise and deserved the W.

Luke Barnette vs. Sean Strickland last weekend is a fight and controversial decision that I would agree to the whole 'don't leave it in the hands of the judges' or 'should have done more' argument. I bet on Strickland, but obviously got damn lucky as I think Barnatte was robbed of a decision.

Yet unlike the diego / pearson robbery, I think that Barnatte could have done more and didn't fight to a smart strategy. While Strickland was backpeddling most the fight, barnatte was not necessarily engaging from the outside and taking it to Strickland. He fought too conservative and tried to blame Strickland for not fighting. While there is some truth to that, I also think there is some truth to the fact that barnatte did nor pursue as much as he could have and did not go for fight ending flurries that were there. Simply put, he did not fight to a good strategy and should have utilized more / done things differently to not let it go to the judges.

Ross did enough, and did enough to clearly win a decision. You cannot blame him for fighting the strategy he did an for it going to the scorecards; it was effective, damaging, well planned, and a winner.

Strange usually when Dana feels the decision was wrong he usually pays the fighter. It's happened in the past for far less controversial decisions. Why not now?

Dana wasn't at the fights last night because he had personal obligations. I'm assuming he hasn't watched it back yet.

I'm willing to bet he pays Ross his win bonus and schedules his next fight as if he won.

Dana wasn't at the fights last night because he had personal obligations. I'm assuming he hasn't watched it back yet.

I'm willing to bet he pays Ross his win bonus and schedules his next fight as if he won.

Hope so.

I also hope the thought of a rematch isn't even in question, no thank you.

Sucks for Pearson, Diego should at least have said "it could've gone either way"
but instead start saying he won the 1st and 3rd round lol...

It is fucked up that judges aren't trained on how to judge MMA fights or held accountable for their decisions. Their decisions effect fighters lives and how much they make, yet they have zero accountability.

Back