Pavlik

S

ShogunJZ360

Do you think Pavlik ahs any chance of ever reaching the top of the p4p list. i think floyd and even cotto will always be ahead of him but a win over who could elevate him high?

He beats Calzaghe, he gets p4p status instantly (dunno if it'll ever happen though) He could beat Winky and take his spot on the p4p charts.

Being #1... I can't say it'll ever happen, but anythings possible.

Pavlik isn't that good of a fighter. Nobody of his talrnt level has EVER been the best fighter in the world.

Pavlik isn't that good of a fighter. Nobody of his talrnt level has EVER been the best fighter in the world.

I'm not sure if youre serious but I actually agree with this. PAvlik has a style thats not going to keep him on top for long. I do think he is a good fighter, but seems one dimensional. Its not going to work forever.

What in my post would indicate that I'm not serious? It's just an opinion.

What in my post would indicate that I'm not serious? It's just an opinion.

Well, most people consider Pavlik a VERY good fighter. It was just a blunt statement you made.

Relax, I agreed with you.

Pavlik is a good fighter, but he's not that good. Certainly not "best fighter in the world" potential.

Look at the list of men who have carried that title:

Ray Robinson
Roberto Duran
Muhammad Ali
Ray Leonard
Marvin Hagler
Pernell Whitaker
Mike Tyson
Roy Jones Jr
Floyd Mayweather
Julio Cesar Chavez

Kelly Pavlik? Hmmm.

His skin tone makes many think he's better than he is.

His skin tone makes many think he's better than he is.

I don't know if I'd go that far, although I'm sure it plays a part in the amount of media exposure he gets.

People believe he's a great fighter because he KO'd Edision Miranda and Jermain Taylor and is now the middleweight champ.

i think he'll be somewhere in the top 10, granted he beats king arthur, winky and sturm, if he does that than instant pound for pound, maybe top 5 material

Pavlik is great, i love watching him fight but im not sure if he will be in the P4P list ever.

i really like pavlik but he has a ways to go before he can be put into a top p4p list

I actually think Pavlik is underrated. Many people think hes just a big puncher who punches in straight lines.

In my opinion, he can box a bit as well and shows great ring generalship in the ring.

Im not saying hes got #1 P4P in his future but I definitely think he can crack the top 5.

What ring generalship do you see with Pavlik?

In my opinion he does a great job of cutting the ring off, making his opponents fight his fight. He backed Miranda down, He backed Taylor down. And with Miranda most people thought it was going to be the other way around.

Plodding forward is not typically considered ring-generalship, and Kelly's not very good at cutting off the ring. Taylor doesn't use footwork all that well, as Cory Spinks boxed him into confusion with basic footwork more than once in their encounter, and Winky Wright also boxed him into corners by coming forward. Kelly comes forward well, but a ring general, not so much.

I actually think Pavlik is shitty at cutting off the ring, something I don't even really consider a skill. It's just the right thing to do. Like standing on two feet.

He was following Taylor around the ring A LOT in their rematch. It's also why Pavlik has a lot of late round KO's. Because most of the time, it takes him a number of rounds to track his opponent down. He's not unlike David Tua, in that respect.

I don't know if I'd go that far, although I'm sure it plays a part in the amount of media exposure he gets.

People believe he's a great fighter because he KO'd Edision Miranda and Jermain Taylor and is now the middleweight champ.

Pavlik got absolutely no national media exposure until he had what, 30 fights or so? Plenty of non white fighters have been on HBO getting title shots in the limelight much before that.

Knocking out Miranda and beating Taylor 2x is a good start, but to answer the threadstarters question, I don't think he'll ever be the top P4P fighter. He's just not talented enough IMO. I think he can crack the top 5, maybe.

And if beating Calzaghe will place him near the top in people's minds, I absolutely think it's an attainable goal.

Plodding forward is not typically considered ring-generalship, and Kelly's not very good at cutting off the ring. Taylor doesn't use footwork all that well, as Cory Spinks boxed him into confusion with basic footwork more than once in their encounter, and Winky Wright also boxed him into corners by coming forward. Kelly comes forward well, but a ring general, not so much.

True,

So what do you guys consider ring generalship?

And isnt coming forward relentlessly a skill? Hatton is a simple fighter but I was amazed at his footwork and relentless pressure on Mayweather. I think he comes forward better than Cotto but thats the only thing he does better than him.:icon_lol:

Back