Paulo Costa addresses his gameplan. Admits it was a mistake. (UPDATED WITH WALIDS INPUT)

They always say that. Didn't his dumbass team see what happened in the Romero fight?

Exactly.

Costa's team had everything they needed to implement a good gameplan.
I can't imagine a better scenario where you opponent just fought a guy who is pretty similar to you in several areas.

Someone brought up to me, it could have been a really bad weight cut mixed with the Dubai heat, along with they only got out there a week out, and that’s not enough time for your body to acclimate to timezones.
I believe Kavagnaugh, despite how I feel about him, said that Izzy has the travel advantage here, almost like playing in home court.

It was definitely stress under the spotlight. The clowning was tryhard because it was done to make him relaxed and confident, but it didn't work. He needs to see a fight psychologist or adjust his style that he would be able to trust it.

Actually, less than 40% thought Costa would even win. On this officially unofficial poll, at least.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/israel-adesanya-19-0-vs-paulo-costa-13-0.4024885/
  1. Israel (18-0)
    285 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. Paulo (13-0)
    170 vote(s)
    37.4%

Here is the poll after the bout was signed:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/adesanya-vs-costa-officially-signed.4122165/page-7

1. Israel Adesanya
    153 vote(s)
    39.1%

2. Paulo Costa
    238 vote(s)
    60.9%

You poll was from Oct 2019, I posted one from July 2020

lol izzy fucked him in the ass and made him humble!

images

sheiky baby style!

lol pretty obvious his game plan of standing there eating shots didn't work.

was his gameplan to let izzy break his skinny leg during a kick check ?? lmao.

Paulo has no chance of ever beating izzy with that rudimentary striking. he should move to LHW

I think they're trying to save face here. I think the gameplan was really to go hard at the end of the rounds, because he tried to rush a bit at the end of round 1 but he was so easily punished.

the feints completely froze him.

Good god. I was hoping the team spent months training some other game plan and he just got in there and froze and didn't listen.

So they game planned staying in kickboxing range, thinking he was better. Good to know.

Godspeed. Wish you the best and that you some day make it back to another title shot. But there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Thanks for the translation TS.

Lol id switch camps. His team doesnt sound too bright. I literally thought they were going to be smart and do the opposite. Getting into boxing range and clinch/dirty box and brawl.

It could have worked if he would have just adjusted his stance. He should have just adopted a thai stance so he could check izzy's kicks, it's not like izzy was going to shoot for a td anyways

Back