Paulo Costa addresses his gameplan. Admits it was a mistake. (UPDATED WITH WALIDS INPUT)

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

"We made this mistake as a team, but we will get it right as a team in the future. We already know we did wrong. It wasnt a good strategy. Thats true and we will change that. I know what happened. It wont happen again. Next time i wont be waiting for him"

<NoneOfMy>

*Walid also addressed this: “Costa’s game plan was to hold back during the first couple of rounds and unleash in the final three, but wasn’t the right call in the end. All merits to Adesanya for landing the kick, but ‘Borrachinha’ was too passive and the strategy was wrong,” Ismail said. “We should have changed (the strategy) after the first kicks landed and went to war. We know that now. He’s not a tactical fighter, he’s a war fighter.”

Last edited:
Not sure if Costa froze under the spotlight or the game plan was just that terrible, but the dude literally let Izzy completely destroy his lead leg within a few minutes. While taunting Izzy.

I honestly don't even know what the game plan was for the first round, but staying in striking range with Izzy while not attempting to strike, wrestle, clinch and eating leg kicks was absurd.

I like Costa, but definitely one of the worst championship showings I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
With a few wins I'd be ok with a run back but at this stage nah...

"We won't make the same mistake next time"

They always say that. Didn't his dumbass team see what happened in the Romero fight?

Good luck with that rematch. Better get some wins because it's going to take a while before he gets another shot.

Good god. I was hoping the team spent months training some other game plan and he just got in there and froze and didn't listen.

So they game planned staying in kickboxing range, thinking he was better. Good to know.

Godspeed. Wish you the best and that you some day make it back to another title shot. But there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Thanks for the translation TS.

Izzy is a real problem. Costa had to choose between Whittaker’s game plan and go out all guns blazing or Yoel’s peekaboo strategy to lure in Izzy and catch him. Costa choose to fight like Yoel, probably because Yoel was more successful than Rob.
Izzy would’ve probably knocked him out anyway

It was a mistake, but any other strategy would also be a mistake, deal with it. Izzy moves a lot (unlike Johnny Hendricks and Romero) and Costa was reacting to every single feint. How can you fight aggressively when you bite feints like that? This is not a problem of strategy only

Last edited:
Seems like they watched the romero fight and thought they could do similar, except get the nod. I don't know why anyone would watch that fight and think "Doing nothing for 97% of the fight sounds like a great gameplan" but that's exactly what Izzy's last two opponents did.

Back