Paulo Costa addresses his gameplan. Admits it was a mistake. (UPDATED WITH WALIDS INPUT)

Costa said a lot about ground game but i think he never shot.

Nice excuse. Just browsed through your recent post history and you’ve done everything to discredit Izzy’s victory. You were even slick enough to state that you weren’t trying to take anything away from Izzy’s victory before rambling off a bunch of excuses.

Not taking anything away from Izzy tonight, he had a great show of his skills.
But, he really did just fight a glorified punching bag in there tonight. The guy in there wasn’t the same Costa that we’ve watched. This wasn’t some strategic dismantling. He literally had no opposition in there tonight, the guy stuck his tongue out more times than he threw a punch.

And the only who needs to feel any sort of embarrassment tonight is Paulo Costa. He shit the bed HARD.

Someone brought up to me, it could have been a really bad weight cut mixed with the Dubai heat, along with they only got out there a week out, and that’s not enough time for your body to acclimate to timezones.
I believe Kavagnaugh, despite how I feel about him, said that Izzy has the travel advantage here, almost like playing in home court.

Yeah it was pretty obvious what the plan was. Costa needs to fight the same in 5 round fights and just accept that if he doesn't get a finish then he lost, like Vitor did.

I'd switch teams if this is the excuse they chose for why they lost.

Seriously? You thought holding back against a sharpshooter was a good idea?

Either they're lying or his head coach is a fucking moron.

Nice excuse. Just browsed through your recent post history and you’ve done everything to discredit Izzy’s victory. You were even slick enough to state that you weren’t trying to take anything away from Izzy’s victory before rambling off a bunch of excuses.
Hey man I can say Izzy looked great and his showcases his skills. Can’t take that away from him. I can look at fighters objectively.
He did fight a guy who didn’t fight back though, that’s truth. Whatever way you try and over analyze and spin it.
Also I was speaking exclusively on Costas weight cut, you came at me and made this about Izzy, what’s your problem?

Once his leg was fucked and he was swinging at air it should have been obvious that he needed to try and get after it immediately instead of continuing with the same game-plan. Even if he made it to the third round his mobility would be compromised badly.

Poor decision-making by Costa and his team but the outcome likely wouldn't have changed even if he tried to change strategy. Full credit to Israel for destroying him.

Hey man I can say Izzy looked great and his showcases his skills. Can’t take that away from him. I can look at fighters objectively.
He did fight a guy who didn’t fight back though, that’s truth. Whatever way you try and over analyze and spin it.
Also I was speaking exclusively on Costas weight cut, you came at me and made this about Izzy, what’s your problem?

So now it what was the weight cut?!?!

If he does try and be aggressive he'll just get knocked out even quicker lol. Would have been a 1st rd ko if he fought the way he normally does.

So now it what was the weight cut?!?!
All I did was brought forth an idea on why Costa shit the bed.
...For some reason you didn’t like it, and that made you review my post history and then bring up a point about a fighter who I wasn’t even speaking about?

Are you Ok pal?

Izzy is a real problem. Costa had to choose between Whittaker’s game plan and go out all guns blazing or Yoel’s peekaboo strategy to lure in Izzy and catch him. Costa choose to fight like Yoel, probably because Yoel was more successful than Rob.
Izzy would’ve probably knocked him out anyway

The thing is Yoel is a lot faster than Costa is. He can play that low output game all day. Costa's only chance I thought was to pressure Izzy and drag him to the ground or put him against a cage as soon as possible. I already know Izzy's stand up is phenomenal, I'd really like to see him against an offensive MMA wrestler a la Khabib and see how he does.

He has to have cardio for a 5-round fight when it's for the championship. Waiting until the 3rd to go on the offensive is too risky against a top quality sniper like Izzy. It's better to gas late than to take the punishment early.

I think the only way to hit Izzy cleanly is to catch him when he is expecting a takedown.

Engaging him in a pure kickboxing match is clearly not going to work.
Threat of the takedown, like when Conor got smoked by Khabibs overhand. Conor thought a take down was coming and bam.

I think the only way to hit Izzy cleanly is to catch him when he is expecting a takedown.

Engaging him in a pure kickboxing match is clearly not going to work.

As time goes by, definitely more and more impressed with Gastelums fight v Izzy. Too bad he couldn’t string another few wins together, and get a rematch.

So the plan was to not pressure the guy with 75+ kickboxing matches for the first 10 minutes & then after he’s kicked the shit out of you good and proper turn it on , maybe Walid isn’t the brilliant tactician I thought he was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back