Paulo Costa addresses his gameplan. Admits it was a mistake. (UPDATED WITH WALIDS INPUT)

This was immediately obvious to anyone who knows anything about fighting. Costa was hanging back because he was worried about gassing out in a 5 rounder. He was playing up the antics, trying to make it more of a tactical first round. By the time a few minutes had passed and he realized what was happening, it was too late and his leg was compromised. He wasn't scared, he isn't incapable of beating Adesanya. He went with the wrong gameplan and paid for it. Always go with what got you there.

It was a mistake, but any other strategy would also be a mistake, deal with it. Izzy moves a lot (unlike Johnny Hendricks and Romero) and Costa was reacting to every single feint. How can you fight aggressively when you bite faints like that? This is not a problem of strategy only
You are fucking smart man. I kept saying before the fight that Costa's physicality would not be enough. The fighter who was more intelligent that night would win. We already knew, if we weren't haters, that Israel is a smart man with great instincts in the cage. The question mark was on Costa.

This was a level test fight for him and right now he isn't even close to Israel. Mind you, I don't believe Costa is a dumb fighter. He just isn't diverse enough right now. He's good at what he does but can't adjust properly when he found a man that it would not work on. Correction, he did adjust but his adjustment was no good.

As time goes by, definitely more and more impressed with Gastelums fight v Izzy. Too bad he couldn’t string another few wins together, and get a rematch.
I also think Israel is getting better and more confident in every fight.

So today, Gastelum would have as much trouble duplicating his first effort as Marvin Vattori would.

That being said, Gastelum is obviously difficult to finish. Weidman did a great job of tenderizing him before submitting him.

I think even with a different plan, he'd get humped.

Izzy is just much better than Costa. He won’t beat him.

Kickboxing with a champion kickboxer is never a good idea.

Dumb ass camp.

Seriously like wtf lol

I was supporting Costa big time because I assume he was gonna bring the fight the same he does every other time. He needs a better team and coach, hopefully this wises him up

The thing is Yoel is a lot faster than Costa is. He can play that low output game all day. Costa's only chance I thought was to pressure Izzy and drag him to the ground or put him against a cage as soon as possible. I already know Izzy's stand up is phenomenal, I'd really like to see him against an offensive MMA wrestler a la Khabib and see how he does.
I wonder how Khamzat would do against him. I’m starting to think it’s the most dangerous fight for him at MW. Khamzat isn’t giving up much in height and reach to Izzy and probably weighs even heavier than Izzy. If he could pressure Izzy with his wrestling he might get Izzy to think about the TD and land something big on him( like Khabib against Conor) and with Khamzat’s power it might be enough to put him away.

Costa is just too slow to pose much of a challenge.

Sad sad sad. Playboy got played.

Next time dont bully your opponent if you can't walk the walk dont talk the talk.

Liars.
If you thought Izzy would cry while getting knocked out, why wait two rounds?

I also think Israel is getting better and more confident in every fight.

So today, Gastelum would have as much trouble duplicating his first effort as Marvin Vattori would.

That being said, Gastelum is obviously difficult to finish. Weidman did a great job of tenderizing him before submitting him.
Yeah I’m sure all fighters improve. Not saying Gastelum would beat him, but he has slick boxing and quick head movement. Very important vs Izzy.

I understand the gamelan but after a couple minutes of its utter failure, why didn't he adapt and adjust. Low fight IQ.

"We made this mistake as a team, but we will get it right as a team in the future. We already know we did wrong. It wasnt a good strategy. Thats true and we will change that. I know what happened. It wont happen again. Next time i wont be waiting for him"

<NoneOfMy>

*Walid also addressed this: “Costa’s game plan was to hold back during the first couple of rounds and unleash in the final three, but wasn’t the right call in the end. All merits to Adesanya for landing the kick, but ‘Borrachinha’ was too passive and the strategy was wrong,” Ismail said. “We should have changed (the strategy) after the first kicks landed and went to war. We know that now. He’s not a tactical fighter, he’s a war fighter.”

They just found out what all the world already knew, eh? Genius team there. Are they all pouring concrete into their ears?

The whole world was saying Costa isn't the most skilled but his pressure is crazy. So he decided to come in without pressure and hoping to rely on skills to survive 2 rounds without pressure? STUPID gameplan. They need waaaaaay more experience before a rematch. Just stupid.

Anyway, if he pressured more he would have only been KO'd sooner, from what we saw in there. His only path to victory is to grow as a fighter and hope Izzy declines at the same time.

I understand the gamelan but after a couple minutes of its utter failure, why didn't he adapt and adjust. Low fight IQ.
That whole team are muppets if this is what they did. That's sesame street stuff

I still dont know what the gameplan was.
Pretty obvious that he was expecting izzy to expect a coming forward gameplan, which is what we all expected too.

Thing is, if you dont do that, then you gotta play izzys game.

Still....cant believe he got dropped by that hit. Wish there was another angle.

What stupid fucking moron decided that the hulking smash guy's gameplan should be to wait for the later rounds on the smaller, more accurate guy?

You're winning by overwhelming KO, or going out on your shield. At least go out on your shield actually trying.

Paulo though he was Yoel Romero. Pretty dumb call. Yoel can explode and fuck you up in a moments hesitation, and has ridiculous durability.

Back