Paulie Just Got Fired From Showtime

It's a different context, it's still a stupid use of language imo.
it read just fine, i'm trying to think of which writer it was, it may have been nick tosches but I'm not sure.

it read just fine, i'm trying to think of which writer it was, it may have been nick tosches but I'm not sure.

Just to clarify you mean "different species of athlete" read just fine within the confines of a written piece?
I'd accept it as maybe an abstract regard to the horses that Jockeys sit on lol.. I understand why it's used, it's a kind of glorification of animalistic nature, but we are all animals imo so there's very little reason to compare us to animals that are historic enough to have considered species and breeds.. Just my thoughts, I can't say i'm an expert, happy to be proved wrong.

Just to clarify you mean "different species of athlete" read just fine within the confines of a written piece?
I'd accept it as maybe an abstract regard to the horses that Jockeys sit on lol.. I understand why it's used, it's a kind of glorification of animalistic nature, but we are all animals imo so there's very little reason to compare us to animals that are historic enough to have considered species and breeds.. Just my thoughts, I can't say i'm an expert, happy to be proved wrong.
it was clear what the writer meant, that Muhammad Ali was a newcomer in a new age of athlete, the fast big man, many people say that was the major event of modern athletics, Jim Brown is another of this new breed. So, there wasn't any weirdness about it. Anyway, context means everything which is why I was looking for direct quotes from paulie and even better yet, an audio of it. But I think Paulie has some racial animus based on the posts I saw so, it's likely he would say something off color, forgive the pun, about race.

However, i do know how easy it is for people to get their feelings hurt over practically nothing, it happens here all the time, just two weeks ago I was saying how urban/rural people think differently, didn't say anything particularly derogatory, I don't think I did anyway, then we have some jackass who wasn't even in the convo coming in calling me pompous and shit, people are weird about a lot of things, race is just one.

it was clear what the writer meant, that Muhammad Ali was a newcomer in a new age of athlete, the fast big man, many people say that was the major event of modern athletics, Jim Brown is another of this new breed. So, there wasn't any weirdness about it. Anyway, context means everything which is why I was looking for direct quotes from paulie and even better yet, an audio of it. But I think Paulie has some racial animus based on the posts I saw so, it's likely he would say something off color, forgive the pun, about race.

However, i do know how easy it is for people to get their feelings hurt over practically nothing, it happens here all the time, just two weeks ago I was saying how urban/rural people think differently, didn't say anything particularly derogatory, I don't think I did anyway, then we have some jackass who wasn't even in the convo coming in calling me pompous and shit, people are weird about a lot of things, race is just one.

Yeah I mean language evolves and develops new meanings too, as well as definitions and terminology often having variable interpretations.

I was talking to someone on here recently about the word "Prime" in regards to the prime of a fighters career, be it age prime or fighting prime we both came to the conclusion it's kind of lazy subjective word, I suggested it would probably be more helpful if it wasn't ever used based on the grounds that even if 100% agree someone's prime, it's still very much a subjective quality to assign to someone..
The fairly obvious argument against that, which we also agreed on, was that it would take for fucking ever to explain prime sufficiently.

Language isn't perfect for many reasons and situations, education is key to learning the many uses of language, not giving people shit because they think differently to you and use words differently to you, the more ways of understanding words and definitions you can understand, the more improved your communication becomes I think. Not sure my post is super coherent anyway so probably nonsense haha, I enjoyed your post though totally agree with you.

I can't stand Paulie, but what has he said thats out of order there?

Haney said a short while back that he'd never let a whiteboy beat him. Paulie was asked about it in an interview and he got a little carried away in his response.

I still don't understand. It's true there are era's in combat sports. If somebody said "the era of the midwest farm boy is over in MMA, this is the era of the daghestani grappler" nobody should be falling over themselves in offence. Seems like you can't talk matter of fact about race anymore.

Haney said a short while back that he'd never let a whiteboy beat him. Paulie was asked about it in an interview and he got a little carried away in his response.

Thanks for posting, it adds more insight.

After the comparisons of different groups of people in different eras, he starts saying how there’s no racial pressures now compared to years gone by.

This was said in April and with recent events, that kind of comment is a huge no no. Showtime are probably nervous his comments would go viral and they would be associated, so, tried to get in there first by asking Paulie to publicly apologise.

He refused, probably starting mouthing off at Espinosa, leaving him in a position where Showtime needed damage limitation (maybe going for some good PR) and publicly fired him.

I still don't understand. It's true there are era's in combat sports. If somebody said "the era of the midwest farm boy is over in MMA, this is the era of the daghestani grappler" nobody should be falling over themselves in offence. Seems like you can't talk matter of fact about race anymore.
I agree. But that's the current cancel culture or outrage culture. They hear something that isn't intended to be offensive (Paulie was asked about it), they get personally offended, then they pressure that person's employer to reprimand them. In this case though I think that Paulie offered a little too much information. He was given the chance to apologize to potentially keep his job but refused so he got canned.

BelatedDisloyalEagle-size_restricted.gif

"leave it alone" should have taken his own advice. hearing it, doesn't sound like a big deal. Race, sex and class are touchy subjects here in america. In watching some of Elvis' old interviews it's easy to see his rationale about dodging questions about the vietnam war and womens lib, saying, "i'm just an entertainer" which worked for him. Smart man.

I'm watching an interview on youtube with oliver stone right now, a guy who got into trouble saying something about jews a few years ago, even though he's jewish himself, he was forced to prostate himself and apologize. He also is a minor name in the me too era, grabbing titties or something.

Did joe rogan do something? I'm watching a podcast that seems to say he did but they haven't said what yet.

I'm not a fan of Paulie, but nothing he said was even remotely offensive. wtf is going on?

Why is he racist? Calling someone a racist these days is akin to calling someone a witch back in the day.

Guess you missed all the dumb shit he has been saying on Instagram, even tried to question the killing of Ahmaud Abery. You know the case where 3 racist white men case down a Black man jogging in their car, boxed him in and shot him dead.

All the screen shots here:

Last edited:
Guess you missed all the dumb shit he has been saying on Instagram, even tried to question the killing of Ahmaud Abery. You know the case where 3 racist white man case down a Black man jogging in their car, boxed him in and shot him dead.

All the screen shots here:

Thanks for posting that. This is what a lot of people were saying on YouTube that he was talking some crazy stuff about the Abery killing.
I'll listen to it to see if its worse than the earlier comments.

They ran him over too and called him the N word while doing it....Retired Cop
But racism doesn't exist there...You're playing the race card and starting trouble if speak out against that REAL LYNCHING/CRUCIFIXION/HATE CRIME/MURDER....

But when some rich well connected famous white guy loses his job for some ignorant self inflicted comments. "Oh my god they are crucifying us"
Still trying to wrap my head around that. Lol

Back