Paulie Just Got Fired From Showtime

BluntTrauma21

Broner Brodie / Pulev Posse
@Gold
Reaction score
"Paulie Malignaggi’s mouth was one of his greatest assets when he was a fighter and has helped him become one of boxing’s best broadcasters.

Comments Malignaggi made three months ago, however, have cost Malignaggi his job as an analyst for Showtime.

BoxingScene.com has learned that Malignaggi will not be part of Showtime’s broadcasting team moving forward due to comments Malignaggi made regarding racism and other issues during an interview with IFL TV that posted to its YouTube channel April 22 ."

https://www.boxingscene.com/showtim...roadcasting-team-over-ifl-tv-comments--150561

Didn't know if it's thread worthy but decided to post it anyway. I enjoyed Paulie's insight, apparently he said something awhile back and they wanted him to apologize and he refused, so they canned him. Sad to see him go, personally.

Uh oh, I knew it'd be bad but it's about racial stuff:

Malignaggi was responding to comments made from 135-pound titlist Devin Haney (24-0, 15 knockouts) who stated in April that he’d “never let a white boy beat me.”

“He probably wasn’t talking about (Vasiliy) Lomachenko,” Malignaggi said. “I assume he was talking about Luke Campbell, who I think (is) the more viable opponent that Haney would be fighting.”

Malignaggi gave Haney the benefit of the doubt.

“When you’re in your early twenties, you probably don’t express that very well. It’s not something that great to make racial (statements) in 2020, especially with so many racial tensions in the world.”

Then Malignaggi delved into dominance in boxing and how throughout history, it has shifted via racial/ethnic lines.

“Boxing has had its course in history with certain demographics dominating more than others, right?” Malignaggi said in the video. “Maybe like 100 years ago, Irish fighters were better. And then the Jews and the Italians came in. I think the African-American fighter became most dominant in the sport in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s.”

Malignaggi (36-8, 7 knockouts), who retired in 2017 after suffering an eighth-round knockout at the hands of Sam Eggington, said “it’s not great to have the race discussion because it’s going to coordinate division,” before stating “it’s no longer the time of the African American anymore in boxing.”

“It’s (the Eastern Europeans) that has become the dominant species in boxing,” Malignaggi said. “I think stating something like (Haney’s statement) could be very dangerous.”

https://www.ringtv.com/606259-pauli...m-showtime-broadcast-team-over-race-comments/

In my own thread like:

<{ByeHomer}><{ByeHomer}><{ByeHomer}><{ByeHomer}>

Shit boxer, shit commentator
I thought he was a pretty decent fighter. Was never a huge fan but I enjoyed watching him box even if he wasn't the greatest.

I should've talked to him when I saw him at the hof but I used to hate him when I was a kid and this was right after the dread cutting incident so I thought I was too cool for him. I talked to Peter Manfredo instead. And Shaun George hahaha.

What exactly did he say wrong? I mean it was kind of hypocritical to get so worried about what Haney said but then go on an on about race but still, I don't see anything too out of line.

Last edited:
I thought he was a pretty decent fighter. Was never a huge fan but I enjoyed watching him box even if he wasn't the greatest.

I should've talked to him when I saw him at the hof but I used to hate him when I was a kid and this was right after the dread cutting incident so I thought I was too cool for him. I talked to Peter Manfredo instead. And Shaun George hahaha.

I don't think I ever enjoyed a fight he was in. Maybe when Broner beat tf out of him?
I just think he cried after every decision and it was always the judges were paid off, not the fact he had pillows for hands.

I don't think I ever enjoyed a fight he was in. Maybe when Broner beat tf out of him?
I just think he cried after every decision and it was always the judges were paid off, not the fact he had pillows for hands.
If you didn't like Paulie vs Cotto, I don't know what to say. the fights with Diaz were good too.

He dared say black people weren't necessarily superior to white people.
He didn’t even say that. He said a specific group of black people (African Americans) probably are not going to dominate Boxing anymore, and that it is probably going to be the Eastern Europeans who will be on top now.

I’m guessing I’m not seeing something that Showtime and the one dude who posted the Simpson smiley did see.

I genuinely don’t understand how it is offensive.

Does this mean more call outs of mcgregor m?

If you didn't like Paulie vs Cotto, I don't know what to say. the fights with Diaz were good too.

Never watched it. I had an intense dislike for Paulie.

That being said I don't think he should have been fired for what he said.

people been saying that about boxing since i was a kid, stupid shit. People were on the way to getting this sensitive when i was a kid but it's gotten beyond ridiculous today.

He didn’t even say that. He said a specific group of black people (African Americans) probably are not going to dominate Boxing anymore, and that it is probably going to be the Eastern Europeans who will be on top now.

I’m guessing I’m not seeing something that Showtime and the one dude who posted the Simpson smiley did see.

I genuinely don’t understand how it is offensive.
Meh I don't really have any problem w/ what he said.

I just didn't initially know it was about race until I already posted the op and I don't want this to become a wr type deal b/c of a thread I made and didn't research properly before posting.

Pretty stupid to say that Haney's words are dangerous because he's African-American and Eastern Europeans dominate the sport (which isn't even true). How many showtime fighters are black? I reckon its not great to have an analyst saying a bunch of your stable is in trouble because of their ethnicity.

Back