Palhares vs Mir situation.

Shields punched Palhares after the bell.
That's worse than anything Palhares has ever done.
Palhares is mentally slow (I'm a psychologist, so I'll stay vague), Shields is not.
That is the real difference here.
Stop saying Palhares is a dirty fighter, you ignorant people. He just does not know what he is doing.

Should he fight? Probably not. He will never be able to understand certain things.

But that is NOT his fault. Commissions should not allow him to fight.

As a psychologist how much time have you spent with Palhares to diagnose him as 'mentally slow' as supposed to someone who has a psychopathic personality? Do you have access to his WAIS score to determine his IQ?

Palhares is a veteran fighter and grappling competitor. He does not lack the mental capacity to be able to understand that when the ref intervenes you stop. He just ignores it. The guy is psychotic. If for arguments sake he is just to dumb to understand the rules of when the fight is stopped he should never have been licensed to fight to begin with.

Shields punched Palhares after the bell.
That's worse than anything Palhares has ever done.
Palhares is mentally slow (I'm a psychologist, so I'll stay vague), Shields is not.
That is the real difference here.
Stop saying Palhares is a dirty fighter, you ignorant people. He just does not know what he is doing.

Should he fight? Probably not. He will never be able to understand certain things.

But that is NOT his fault. Commissions should not allow him to fight.

Why do you think he's slow? Why doesn't he respond so slow to everything else? Why only when holding subs?

Were the eyepokes also due to him being slow? Or his steroid use?

I think Shields' reaction was understandable. Not right, but I get why he's pissed. Palhares on the other hand is a dick. Don't tell me it takes him 1.5 seconds to know the ref is stopping the fight. You'd never be a pro athlete if your reaction time is that slow.

Paul Harris is the Evil-Doer twin duplicate of a innocent farm hand from Brazil whose name is Rousimar Palhares. Paul Harris is a complete and utter asshole while Rousimar Palhares is just an innocent boy stuck in a man's body. Sheesh@you for not knowing the difference!

:icon_chee

LOL...nice! Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sceario haha

Theres' been too many stupid comments about how Paul Harris gets shafted for holding on and Mir doesn't.

What stupid argument is there left that Palhares is getting screwed while Frank is getting away with murder?

really? I have not seen any...but, if there are, the people making those comparisons are f**king morons (for the reasons you outlined).

As for Palhares, it is not terribly relevant if he is just a dirty fighter, or incapable of controlling himself in the cage, or something in between.

He has a history of failing to yield to taps and ref instructions, and therefore he should be severely punished (IMHO, he should be booted from WSOF and suspended for at least a year by the commission).

and for the person saying that Shields' punch was worse than anything Palhares has ever done...get a f**king clue. That is the dumbest shit I've read on Sherdog in a long time. wow.

Theres a big difference between Palhares past misdeeds and this match IMHO, previously he has clearly held subs when the ref moved in to call the fight but this time I don't think he held it nearly so long. Indeed I think this match looked VERY similar to a lot of Mir fights in terms of the sub being held a fraction of a second after the ref comes in.

Shields was IMHO basically looking to exploit Palhares rep to cover his loss and his punch after the bell. There are enough people blinded by hate for Palhares to avoid actually judging it on the action though and instead backing murica that WSOF(NOT the AC) felt they needed to strip Palhares.

I didn't see any eyepokes either, hand across face yes but not pokes, Shields face was marked up because Palhares was beating on him before that sub including a very big knee.

Our post game is virtually identical, bro :icon_lol:

-fist-bump-1c-Shirts.jpg

Curious as to why you started a thread about this TS? I have not seen ANYONE on Sherdog defend Palhares at all. Do you have links to threads where someone actually defended Palhares?

Have you read this thread? Because I was only perusing it and I saw several comments defending Palhares. Just because you think something is indefensible, and in this case I agree with you, doesn't mean no one will give it a try.

Have you read this thread? Because I was only perusing it and I saw several comments defending Palhares. Just because you think something is indefensible, and in this case I agree with you, doesn't mean no one will give it a try.

Indeed you are correct. It is simply my opinion that his actions are indefensible. IF anyone does defend him and tear down Frank Mir that is PURE stupidity. It's trying to make a point just to prove someone else wrong. I doubt very much that most fans put much effort thinking about what they post on Sherdog. There are the usual suspects of course, you, me, others and the mods who have decent conversations/discussions but the white belts/alt accounts just defend him because they think it's cool to be fuckin' stupid AND contrary at the same time.

Frank Mir has NEVER to my knowledge held a submission LONGER where the referee needs to step in to stop it. The ONLY fight that was close to that was the Big Timmy fight. The referee stepped in because he seen the forearm break where Big Timmy didn't feel a thing because heat of the moment but he did NOT tap. There is a world of difference between NOT tapping, and tapping so frantically and in fear of your leg being permanently injured by Palhares who on the other hand has, repeatedly held submissions usually around 1.5 to 2 full seconds AFTER the referee stops the fight.

Plus there is literally NO defending of the eye gouges that &%$#@*% put Jake Shields ( Kind of funny and oddly ironic that Jake "I can't make a fist properly" Shields complaining about eye pokes) through. Not bashing him, but Palhares is stupid. Blatant cheating like that? What the hell did Palhares think was going to happen? Jake shut him down on the ground and went through his Human Blanket routine, eye gouging was the only way Palhares could seemingly escape.

LOL...nice! Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sceario haha

LOL sorry but there is a minor correction. It's more like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Dumb.

:icon_lol:

OOPS sorry MOD - double post could you please remove second post?

Thank you.

mir vs. palhares 2016

Please make this happen!!
For reals tho, palhares has nothing in common with Mir as far as holding submissions. As most have said, Mir lets go when the ref says and palhares doesn't... No comparison.

Really you take Mir as an example??

The guy that let Lesnar tap for like 10 minutes while still cranking and looking at him LOOOL

Mir stops when ref steps in. Mazagatti was standing there picking his nose and not even paying attention to the fight. Palhares keeps cranking the sub while ref is trying to pull his arms away

I'll make this very easy for you:

Number of fighters injured by Frank Mir subs because he held them too long: 3
Number of fighters injured by Paul Harris: ZERO

Now how is Paul Harris the dirty one again?

How Mir has anything on the planet to di with Harris is well, beyond me. There is no question that Paul Harris is shady and a dirty fighter. The only fight I would like to see him in is against Jones and it has to go 5 rounds regardless, maybe he will get a taste if his own medicine and it might be good fo him.

How the hell could anyone in their right mind compare the two? Yes, Mir is dangerous on the ground, but as soon as the ref says stop, he stops!

is who actually making this error comparison though?

I've only seen two people make the comparison, and one was being sarcastic.
But then I haven't seen this whole thread, and also for some reason, somebody always comes in with some opposing opinion likely for the sake of arguing.

Last edited:
Mir stops when ref steps in. Mazagatti was standing there picking his nose and not even paying attention to the fight. Palhares keeps cranking the sub while ref is trying to pull his arms away

I really wonder when the guy in the Brazilian BJJ gym looked at Palhares and said "your nickname is Toquinho" Which means tree stump. I wonder if he meant "Built Like" or "Dumb As" when they nicknamed him that.

3Al0GQA_zps9ubslflu.gif

/Sarcasm

Why did Mir hold too long? Did he keep cranking after the ref stopped it? Gifs? Opponents not tapping is not dirty. That's his opponents being stupid. Not Mir's fault.

Also, Palhares is dirty because he's a cheater. How is that not dirty? And he's risking injuring people, for no reason.

Mir doesn't have to keep cranking when shit is already broken. When you're a HW cranking a submission the likelihood of hurting someone before the ref can stop the fight is a lot greater. Even his training partner says you'd better scream to make Mir stop or your shit's getting broken. Palhares may be slow to react but Mir's arm-busting is more intentional to me.

Back