Palhares vs Mir situation.

Once Mir feels the tap he looks right at the ref. If the ref is stopping the fight he lets go.

Very big difference

Mir breaks the hold immediately when the ref tells him too. Palhares, not so much

Mirs IQ is probably double Palhares no joke.

They dont tap, it goes snap. Not Mirs fault at all. More like Noguiera and Tims fault.

Palahares is just a piece of shit. Plain and simple.

Anyone trying to compare Mir to Palhares is an idiot. It's tap, snap, or nap. That's the way this game is played. Mir has never held onto a submission after a ref's intervention that I know of. Palhares does it routinely.

I dont think you read the thread

I'll make this very easy for you:

Number of fighters injured by Frank Mir subs because he held them too long: 3
Number of fighters injured by Paul Harris: ZERO

Now how is Paul Harris the dirty one again?

he doesn't abide by the rules.

again?

he doesn't abide by the rules.

i think it was only one person who made that comparison. this thread is pointless lol.

Curious as to why you started a thread about this TS? I have not seen ANYONE on Sherdog defend Palhares at all. Do you have links to threads where someone actually defended Palhares?

His actions are completely INDEFENSIBLE! I cannot see any other MMA fighter ever coming to defend him. Seriously even fighters people in other organizations think he is a PoS.

He seems to go Full Retard. Just look at the GIF from his fight with Mike Pierce, he just sits there in a stupefied daze as the referee tries removing his arms from Pierce's leg. I think the guy just zones out in competition. I would actually LOVE to see someone of a similar skillset completely DOMINATE Palhares and break something on him.

palhares_zpsaws30wiq.gif

Yes, I actually condone injuring him. See if he understands then. Until someone does injure him, he just will not understand. He seems to be a simpleton honestly and I believe his manager and other fighters in his fight camp actually defend him because they know the truth. I'd love to be a fly on the wall of that gym (a fly that can understand Portuguese and Spanish!) after that last fight to see what other people think of him. He is giving this blood sport a bad reputation.

:icon_evil

20131009_ajl_ooo_329_0_zpsjia8l0jl.jpg

Pardon my color play. Got a bit carried away and had fun with it. ;-)

I've read plenty of people defending his actions. Links? nah, finding it yourself is half the fun. :p

"it's the journey, not the destination" or something like that.

EDIT:

I laughed at "blood sport a bad reputation". Nice touch.

Last edited:
Shields punched Palhares after the bell.
That's worse than anything Palhares has ever done.
Palhares is mentally slow (I'm a psychologist, so I'll stay vague), Shields is not.
That is the real difference here.
Stop saying Palhares is a dirty fighter, you ignorant people. He just does not know what he is doing.

Should he fight? Probably not. He will never be able to understand certain things.

But that is NOT his fault. Commissions should not allow him to fight.

I think you may be 100% correct. He's missing something vital that most human beings have.

Theres' been too many stupid comments about how Paul Harris gets shafted for holding on and Mir doesn't.

So lets break it down.

Mir broke Timmy's arm, Nogs shoulder and put Kongo to sleep.

In no instance did Timmy, Nog or Kongo tap, and when the ref intervened, he stopped immediately. He didn't cranked for a few seconds more, he let go. Even with Brock, when he knee barred him, when he tapped and the ref stepped in, he immediately let go.

Mir has never tested positive for PED's nor has he been banned from MMA for his conduct. I don't think he's even been warned in his entire MMA career by the ref.

Never has one of Frank's training partners or coaches come forward to say he hurts people in training on purpose.

Palhares on the other hand.

Tomsz Drwal, tapped, then the ref tried to pull him off and he kept cranking for a couple of seconds more before he released.
Mike Pierce, tapped, then the ref tried to pull him off an he kept cranking for a couple of seconds more before he released.
Jake Shields, tapped, then the ref tried to pull him off and he kept cranking for a couple of seconds more before he released.

ON top of that, he was warned for eye gouging multiple times against Shields, tested positive for Steroids against Hector Lombard, prematurely ran away from a fight against Miller and had his former coach, Bustamante saying he constantly hurt sparring partners in the gym, so he got him a psychologist and he still kept doing it.

What stupid argument is there left that Palhares is getting screwed while Frank is getting away with murder?

WHile all you said it is true, Palhares has yet to break a limb...
And yes, he holds on too much, but I think people scrutinize his fights too much.
WHile I do think he does stay one extra second, if you watched his last fight, the fight before him (Marlus Moraes) also stayed a second longer... and no one said a word about it. And don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Marlus!

As for the raking, he was not. He was pushing Jake's head back, though with open fingers. If you see Jake, he also pushed Palhares head back at some points in the fight.

IMO Palhares is not bright. And his submission just hurts more. And due top the history, people are all up in arms before he even locks the submission.
But as I said, it is not as bad as people make it up to be. It is just that he is so good at submissions, most his fights end up that way... But many submission sstay as long as Toquinho.... they are just not scrutinized as much.

Watch Paull Harris do it in ADCC vs David Avellan.
He is just a wreck to compete against in anything

^^^^THIS!!!!

The youtube video should be mandatory viewing for anyone facing Paul Harris, or even debating him.

He is seriously either a psychopath or extremely "slow" on the release trigger, yet lightning-fast reflexes for BJJ (a bit of a contradiction, which brings us back to psychopath)

I think it's a bit of Mir not having broken anyone's shit for a while (Nog's arm was 2011) while Palhares cranked too long again against Shields just last month.

But looking at their history, Mir has maybe 4 questionable acts:
Trevan - broke his arm
Sylvia - broke his arm
Lesnar - held the kneebar too long
Big Nog - ripped his arm out of its socket

Palhare has 2 that I know of, please let me know if I missed any:
Drwal - held leg lock too long, caused injury
Pierce - held a leg lock too long, caused injury
Shields - held a kimura too long, eye gouging
And some late holds in ADCC competition

I'm not defending Palhares except to say he's dim and therefore too dangerous to let him continue fighting in sanctioned sports events. But Mir is dirty in his own way and doesn't get enough criticism for it.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of Mir not having broken anyone's shit for a while (Nog's arm was 2011) while Palhares cranked too long again against Shields just last month.

But looking at their history, Mir has maybe 4 questionable acts:
Trevan - broke his arm
Sylvia - broke his arm
Lesnar - held the kneebar too long
Big Nog - ripped his arm out of its socket

Palhare has 2 that I know of, please let me know if I missed any:
Pierce - held a leg lock too long
Shields - held a kimura too long
And some late holds in ADCC competition

I'm not defending Palhares except to say he's dim and therefore too dangerous to let him continue fighting in sanctioned sports events. But Mir is dirty in his own way and doesn't get enough criticism for it.

You forgot that Mir choked Kongo out. So that's 5 people he's injured with subs. Paul Harris? Still ZERO.

You forgot that Mir choked Kongo out. So that's 5 people he's injured with subs. Paul Harris? Still ZERO.

Yep that's another one for Mir. I left it out since it's hard to know when a guy is out with all that arm fat in the way.

But zero for Palhares? How do you figure? He cranked too long on Pierce and Shields. The one on Fitch was pretty bad too, if not illegal.

the Lesnar "incident" was Mazzagatti doing a shit job. Kongo was another instance of the ref not realizing what was going on. Neither of those are anything significant.

Mir doesn't hold a sub after the ref stops the fight.

Are you actually arguing this because you believe it to be true or are you just doing it to argue? I have to believe the latter.

Yep that's another one for Mir. I left it out since it's hard to know when a guy is out with all that arm fat in the way.

But zero for Palhares? How do you figure? He cranked too long on Pierce and Shields. The one on Fitch was pretty bad too, if not illegal.

Drwal

TS, its simple. Mir is american. Paul Harris is brazilian. Big Nog is brazilian. Mir KO'd and snapped Big Nog's arm like a twig. Do you need me to break (pun intended) this topic down any further?

He's never injured anyone, Dana. Maybe he's gotten confused and held it too long once or twice but he hasn't hurt anyone with it. Compare this with your hero Frank Mir who seems to hurt someone every time he attempts a sub?

the Lesnar "incident" was Mazzagatti doing a shit job. Kongo was another instance of the ref not realizing what was going on. Neither of those are anything significant.

Mir doesn't hold a sub after the ref stops the fight.

Are you actually arguing this because you believe it to be true or are you just doing it to argue? I have to believe the latter.

Classy fighters will let go of a choke when they feel the guy is out. Lesnar was clearly tapping 5-6 times before Mir let go of the kneebar.

Back