Palhares never cranked imo. It was the ref pushing him backward.

I'd not be surprised to find out the UFC had their shill posters hard at work at the forum demonizing Palhares immediately after the fight in order to soften the backlash once they cleared another fighter off their roster.

They were doing so immediately after the fight ended. Dana saw a perfect excuse to cut somebody who would very likely beat upcoming brawlers and just bleed type fighters, which the UFC wants more of

Please tell me again how a referee stops that.

Puts his body in between Rousimar and Pierce's (full homo) and seperates them forcefully. Jump on top of them and stop the fucking fight. There are plenty of gifs I could find of refs literally DIVING on top of the fighters in an effort to stop it, but meh

The fact that you don't think that he cranked really shows your lack of understanding of grappling, and leg locks more specifically.

The refs arm is extending out and touches Palhares leg while he's running to get down on top of them to stop it. Mike was already tapping at this point. So he has to feel his arm touching his leg before the ref is even on the ground elbow deep around his leg. He has to feel that foriegn arm before the ref is even on him "pushing" him away. And he's still not letting go & is cranking at that point. Combined with the frantic tapping, maybe yelling, the nature of the hold, unspoken honor code and what the ref was actually doing he shouldnt be cranking and he is. No way around it.

We need a slo-mo. It wasnt the ref and it doesnt matter how many seconds it is. To me it's clear as day. I'm not even sure if he should be banned but this rearffirms what happened to me. I dont agree with what you're seeing here.

Notice how close Dan Miragliotta stands to the fighters during subs. He crouches infront of both of them, very closely (often drawing complaints for viewers for being too close). He's in both of their vision and he STOPS THE FIGHT

He was tapping furiously before the ref even jumped down there. Palhares should have been looking to the ref for the stoppage since it was over, but he was slow in even responding to the ref. Either he is just retarded or mean spirited.

Chris Camozzi posted this on the UG

I'm seeing some people saying the ref messed up and palares didn't know the fight was being stopped.

I disagree. My Bjj coach and I were talking this morning and I think the ref did a great job in trying to save pierces knee. Watch it again. The ref dives in very quick and he try's to secure pierces knee/leg and at the same time he uses this head to try and push Palares grip. By grabbing the leg he was trying to stop the heel hook from cranking and rotating the knee anymore.

Don't tell me Palares didn't realize the 3rd guy in the ring jumping on them both. He knows what a tap and pierce scream for that matter as well as the ref grabbing them. The lock was held after the official
Stoppage and hopefully pierces knee is not
Too damaged.

IMO great job by the ref

Fighters need to go back to dropping elbows on unconscious opponents.

I understand that is what bugs a lot of people but the rules are it's not over at a tap. Also if you'll notice Pierce mostly taps the referee. Not Palhares. So he wouldn't feel the taps. Like I said I don't want this to be a name calling thread or a fan thread.

Just more of a view on what happened thread. As far as the rules go, I feel like the being banned was probably based on what they felt was a crank. And imo it never happened.

My comments didn't bring in name calling or fandom...?

The fact that Pierce tapped on the ref 3-5 times, having already tapped on Stump 4-5 is the problem encapsulated. If a ref is on you, in between the two combatants, to the point you can tap on him it's time to let go.

And none of this excuses Palhares from the 4-5 clear taps prior to the ref intervention.

This 'go until the ref says otherwise' is just nonsense. Josh would have killed Fitch and Pettis broken Ben's arm.

Dana's assessment of unsportsmanlike conduct is perfect. As a fighter you still have an obligation not to go awol.

As for why he's banned. Please see the Drwal Gif and tell me it's not a carbon copy. That got him 90 days from an independent entity.
submissions_Rousimar_Palhares_Heel_Hooks_Tomasz_Drwal_UFC_111.gif

*I almost can't tell them apart minus position in the cage

He held the sub way after the tap, way after the ref yelling and trying to get to them, and way after the ref was on top of them.

He's done this shit more that once in the past and has been previously suspended for it. It's a dangerous move and he's TRYING to injure people.

I like watching him fight but he got what he deserved.

Lol @ ref pushing him backwards..... why the hell where his hands still clasped????? He should have opened them big ass arms and then he would have just fell back when ref pushed him and not taken a knee with him...

And from a fighter that has been a cheat in the past, yeah that's the guy you give the benefit of doubt too..

The ref pushing him backwards wouldn't have bent Pierce's leg if Palhares didn't keep holding after the ref got involved.

I'm with these guys, even if the ref caused the crank, had he just loosened his grip he'd have been pushed back instead of trying to bring Pierce's leg with him.

I don't think he should be cut, because I hate to see any fighter cut when they're winning, but I think they need to have someone sit down with him and have a serious talk that this is a sport and they can't have guys going apeshit after the fight is clearly over.

Had he cranked it on and tore Pierce's knee up BEFORE the tap and the ref coming, I'd say it's a legit submission and that's an unfortunate part of the game, but to do it AFTER he's clearly tapping for like 3 seconds and the ref is getting in your face, that's clear that he has something wrong with him mentally.

Really difficult to judge this one, but banning him is just extreme...
I guess Palhares' past played a big part on his ban.

Puts his body in between Rousimar and Pierce's (full homo) and seperates them forcefully. Jump on top of them and stop the fucking fight. There are plenty of gifs I could find of refs literally DIVING on top of the fighters in an effort to stop it, but meh
I see. You drop your body on top a someone that is cranking up your leg to breaking point?!?!?
That should do the job..

Please...

Pierce was tapping and he wouldn't let go. The ref jumped in and he STILL wouldn't let go. He actually had to pry Palhares out of the submission. Fuck him. As a repeat offender, he deserves what he got.

I see. You drop your body on top a someone that is cranking up your leg to breaking point?!?!?
That should do the job..

Please...

Better bet then lightly placing your hand on the leg being torn apart

Back