Palhares never cranked imo. It was the ref pushing him backward.

I do agree to a point about his history. Even at his best he'd be considered a brute and rough guy. I definitely understand others points of view on the matter.

The only thing I was hoping is that since he's moved camps (this was his first fight with Team Nogueira) that maybe he'd be given a stiff fine and the UFC could talk to his new team about getting him to release the hold immediately. Boustamante is a tough guy and he would also make a lot of excuses for him in the past and sort of baby Palhares. I was hoping they would let team Nog try to give him a swift kick in the ass before the was cut. I still feel this wasn't anything as severe as it's being made out to be but I get why his history is being taken into consideration.

While I agree a fighter (a person, for that matter) should be given 2nd and even 3rd chances, this right is lost when giving said "chances" is getting other people hurt.

It's funny that some of the same people who complain about fighter pay because "fighters are literally putting their lives on the line" for our entertainment are defending Palhares and bashing the UFC for this decision.

I will concede that death via leglock is highly unlikely, but jacking up another guys knee with a heelhook can seriously harm a guys ability to compete in the future, as well as being able to walk properly.

Furthermore the fact that someone is in the habit of holding submissions, any submission, too long is a bad precedent. Palhares is a repeat offender. By some counts he has done this kind of thing at least five times or more.

It would seem that he is either unable or unwilling to change his behavior.

On the surface I'm not happy with them cutting him. It sucks that a guy who probably doesn't have the mental capacity to do anything else is losing his spot. However I think that the evidence is mounting that he is a serious risk to anyone who competes against him.

I'd like to know what people think should be done? How should the UFC correct this? Why should they put their other fighters at greater than normal risk?

I do agree to a point about his history. Even at his best he'd be considered a brute and rough guy. I definitely understand others points of view on the matter.

The only thing I was hoping is that since he's moved camps (this was his first fight with Team Nogueira) that maybe he'd be given a stiff fine and the UFC could talk to his new team about getting him to release the hold immediately. Boustamante is a tough guy and he would also make a lot of excuses for him in the past and sort of baby Palhares. I was hoping they would let team Nog try to give him a swift kick in the ass before the was cut. I still feel this wasn't anything as severe as it's being made out to be but I get why his history is being taken into consideration.

And is was broadcasted on FOX instead of a PPV.

4.gif

It's a joke.

Rousimar did NOTHING WRONG

It's the referees job to STOP THE FIGHT. He didn't do a good enough job of stopping the fight

So it's the refs job to HAVE to pry Palhares off of fighters? The fighters themselves don't have to take any responsibility in terms of safety? I think the ref did very well then considering Palhares has the gorilla grip.

and your posts in this thread have been way dumb.

I'd not be surprised to find out the UFC had their shill posters hard at work at the forum demonizing Palhares immediately after the fight in order to soften the backlash once they cleared another fighter off their roster.

Lol @ backlash. Hahaha
From Shertards?
Too much

UFC fighters need sensitivity training.

Work those big muscles out, guys!

They should just have a rule. If a person taps then let go, no ref needed. If the tapper tries to weasel their way out of it replay shows they tapped and thats that.

They should just have a rule. If a person taps then let go, no ref needed. If the tapper tries to weasel their way out of it replay shows they tapped and thats that.

I do one hundred percent agree with this. They need to make a rule about releasing on taps and then institute replay in the case of a dispute. There's no need to have them hold it these days with the technology available.

You keep going until the ref stops it.

Fine, but then you don't get to claim you didnt notice the ref there. When the opponent is tapping like crazy you should be expecting the ref and ready to release, not need him to be driving his head into your arms trying to break your grip

Puts his body in between Rousimar and Pierce's (full homo) and seperates them forcefully. Jump on top of them and stop the fucking fight. There are plenty of gifs I could find of refs literally DIVING on top of the fighters in an effort to stop it, but meh

The fuck are you talking about?!! JUMPS ON THEM!?! Hello dude, they are engaged in a leg lock scramble and he is supposed to jump on top of the two of them? If you had ever trained a little you would know how delicate are leg locks not to mention heel fucking hooks. With a locked in heel and an exposed knee dropping ones body weight on top of someones leg in that position would break the fighters leg at the knee in a couple of places and at the heel. The only proper action the referee who by the way did a bad job should have done in a situation with a maniac like that is to grab his hands that are holding the lock and securing the defeated ones limb from moving any further. If the aggressor is not complying referee should be abled and trained enough to stop them physically until security steps inside...

The way the nerve endings are in your heel, is such that by the time you are screaming and tapping the damage is done. The black belts in our gym won't even sink the heel hooks on each other because of that very reason... you get it and release it.

Yeah he's done it four times in his career, lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

Paul obviously exaggerates the push to disguise the wrench.

The way the nerve endings are in your heel, is such that by the time you are screaming and tapping the damage is done. The black belts in our gym won't even sink the heel hooks on each other because of that very reason... you get it and release it.

this and again...

Anyone who's done jiu jitsu for a while knows that Palhares held that shit as long as he thought he could and still get away with it. He always does that shit, probably because he wants people to be afraid of him or maybe he enjoys hurting people. Either way it's terrible sportsmanship and people shouldn't defend his shitty actions.

I fully agree we know how little it takes to mess up your leg and how quickly it takes to do damage. And an expert like Palhares should even know better especially having so much experience in braking peoples limbs. I have NEVER EVER put some one in a lock and not have slowed down when i ve felt the limb to be tensioned from stress. If someone was being cheeky and trying to trick me by not taping and expecting me to let go i would only hold the submission and increase gently for 5-10 seconds to let him know that it is time to tap, and in training i ve let go to those kind of morons, and worked my way to a choke, everyone taps when the vision starts to narrow slowly. On the other hand you have a master going in destroying peoples legs, when they clearly have surrendered and that is despicable !!

Talk about clutching at straws...

The close up clearly shows him cranking the ankle. Whether the ref pushed or not, he simply should have let go of the ankle. Pretty simple.

Well ref is at fault too, instead of trying to touch Palhares to signal him to let go he was instead hugging Pierce's leg.

All I see is him not releasing a sub after the ref dives on him..why else would the ref do that!???

you see right
ignore the people that are trying to rationalize and minimize a clear example of unsportsmanship from a guy known for doing that.

I agree that it isn't necessarily the worst offense in the world, it could have been worse, and we can compare it to Hendo's post H-Bomb or such, but I still see Phalares holding on and cranking the leg. Agreed it could have been worse, but no doubt it was some foul play.

Back