Palhares never cranked imo. It was the ref pushing him backward.

It never looked like a crank to me. You can tell by his face that he wasn't cranking. People just making up shit to justify their hate.

You are oversimplifying it to suit your opinion. My opinion was is that with the close up gif image showing his face that he did indeed crank it. I thought before that he may have just slid onto his back when the referee intervened and it merely looked like an extra crank.

But either way he was not looking or responding to Pierce's taps UNTIL the ref physically got in front of them. Either way, crank or no crank he deserved some punishment for holding onto it even that extra second because Pierce had already tapped out and was slapping his arm and leg about 8-10 times.

My dispute about the supposed crank is that the sub was already fully applied. Heel hooks are all or nothing moves. There arent 'gears' that you can shift up a little higher and crank it in any more. The move is either on or its off. And it was on already.

So the notion of a crank is BS from the start. Complain that he released too late if you think so, but not about a crank

You keep fighting until the referee stops the fight

What you really mean is, keep fighting until the referee successfully rips you away from the opponent, and if he can't do it, too bad for your opponent.

Clown.

Hes the Ndamukong Suh of MMA.

Basically, as dirty as they come.

What you really mean is, keep fighting until the referee successfully rips you away from the opponent, and if he can't do it, too bad for your opponent.

Clown.

What you mean to say is "I disagree with you, but I'm 7 so FUCK YOU"

Pic related - how to stop a fight

MazzagattiGarza1.gif

That comment must have really got to you, to bump this after 6 hours of inactivity. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, man. Peace.

I have to say it is not the fighters responsibility to stop the fight, it is the refs. If we burn Palhares at the stake how about Mir? He held the knee bar on brock for alogn time. And think about those fighters that get in 5-10 more shots on an opponent that has already been KTFO. Lets burn them too and we will be left with dry humping on the ground and boring fights. Let refs do there jobs and hold them accountable. All the ref have to do is wave the arms and say its over, he didn't have to get all Rambo. Just saying.

I have to say it is not the fighters responsibility to stop the fight, it is the refs. If we burn Palhares at the stake how about Mir? He held the knee bar on brock for alogn time. And think about those fighters that get in 5-10 more shots on an opponent that has already been KTFO. Lets burn them too and we will be left with dry humping on the ground and boring fights. Let refs do there jobs and hold them accountable. All the ref have to do is wave the arms and say its over, he didn't have to get all Rambo. Just saying.

The outrage comes from him responding to the ref so slowly that the ref felt the need/had the time to "get all Rambo"

Hopefully we can keep this civil. Just looking for opinions. Leaving his rep aside and just looking at the gifs I really feel like he didn't crank.

If you'll notice the ref puts his hand under Pierce's leg and pushed up, while at the same time he puts his on Palhares' elbow and pushes forward. It's the perfect storm of controversy.

It's the ref moving Palhares, not a crank. Does anyone see this first gif and feel differently? The ref moves Palhares to make it look like a crank.

814119262.gif

unfortunately I see gifs trying to make it seems worse than it was. like this..

You can see in this one he lets go almost immediately after the ref comes into view.

I9lO.gif

you can really see how hard the ref pushes forward in this one.

2.gif

As someone who has practiced this technique and, more importantly, had it practiced on me many, many times, once you lock in and isolate the knee joint, the amount you have to "crank" on it is very minimal. An couple of inches of movement will devastate the knee. If it's a big, clearly visible crank, then you've totally messed up the other guy, or you didn't have the joint tightly isolated.

In this one, he has him down and tapping, and clearly torques it again. Bad.

As someone who has practiced this technique and, more importantly, had it practiced on me many, many times, once you lock in and isolate the knee joint, the amount you have to "crank" on it is very minimal. An couple of inches of movement will devastate the knee. If it's a big, clearly visible crank, then you've totally messed up the other guy, or you didn't have the joint tightly isolated.

In this one, he has him down and tapping, and clearly torques it again. Bad.

I agree. I might burn at the stake but I am stating the obvious. Palhares is a simpleton Or he is an utter moron. I cannot tell which. Look at the blank expression on his face as he torques it 1 last time. Complete blank look. He does not care or mind that he is possibly ending someone's career because I do not think he can understand. I think he is dumb and he has that god given fighting talent - The gift of blankness. He just goes into Toquinho Beast Mode and even with the referee physically on top of him and several taps from Mike Pierce on his leg there is NO way he failed to notice it. I believe he just doesn't give a shit. Kind of like the Brazilian Honey Badger.

I read through the first page and I agree with SHONUF. If nothing has already been said about knock outs or TKO's in comparison to subs than I will put my two cents in. I believe its the ref's duty to stop the fight regardless if someone is tapping because when someone gets TKO'd or KO'd, fighters are encouraged to keep going until the ref steps in. Why not the same reasoning for submissions? There are some moments where some one half taps and the person lets go of the tap or responds to the tap by putting less strength into it, which than affects the out come of the fight.

I read through the first page and I agree with SHONUF. If nothing has already been said about knock outs or TKO's in comparison to subs than I will put my two cents in. I believe its the ref's duty to stop the fight regardless if someone is tapping because when someone gets TKO'd or KO'd, fighters are encouraged to keep going until the ref steps in. Why not the same reasoning for submissions? There are some moments where some one half taps and the person lets go of the tap or responds to the tap by putting less strength into it, which than affects the out come of the fight.

It may be the referees job to stop the fight but that does not mean the fighters completely abrogate their responsibility to be good sportsmen and to try and NOT injure their opponents. Similar to Machida VS Munoz he stopped as soon as he was on top and seen Mark was knocked out. But to expect that out of Palhares is expecting too much. You can see the set of his biceps and the fact he is grimacing in the effort to give Peirce's leg that 1 last crank.

It is clear as day that he cranked it again. You do not put in that physical effort without expecting something to come of it. Namely a tap out for a submission. Mike Pierce tapped repeatedly and Palhares has been in this position before. He knows he can hurt people he just does not care or he is too stupid to realize how badly he can injure someone.

The mere fact that he is that good on the ground tells me he is NOT stupid in regards to submissions. It seems more likely then that it is just an effort to hurt his opponent. He does not have a very good fight IQ in anything aside from submissions and that seems to be his main problem. Plus after knowing the extent of Mike Pierce's injuries now and the damage done to his ankle I believe the UFC was right to fire him. With that torn ankle ligament and the sprained MCL it was clear that the damage was caused by holding onto the submission too long and that nasty ignorant crank of Mike's ankle.

I'm all for acting like a sportsmen with good conduct, but if he could have walked I would not have minded too much if Pierce went over after the match was lost and just BELT Palhares as hard as he could. The fan in me would not like that to happen. The vengeful take no prisoners fan in me says yeah, it would have been pretty awesome to see him lay Palhares out for what he did.

Back