Overeem shows no signs of slurred speech or slowness after 17 (T)Kos, 21 years Of fighting

He’s still pretty well spoken and charming in his UFC Busan interview.

Rumours of his CTE are much exaggerated.

some people are more likely to be effected than others, but for him to have no physical signs of CTE after all the punishment he’s put his brain and body through is nothing short of a miracle

Overeem should have won that fight. His lip was split and the ref called the fight with 4 seconds left.

it’s similar to meldrixk Taylor vs jcc. But a significantly worse stoppage.
Stfu he got his face smashed and stopped, he was done. Doesn’t matter if there was 4 seconds left or .4 seconds left, he was finished

They should examine his brain for the cure to CTE.

Some of his KOs have been exceptionally brutal.

Shogun 2 is one that sticks in the memory, he should not have been still cutting to 205 in 2007.
He got stretchered out and rushed to a hospital after this. There's a behind the scenes but I couldn't find it.

RiW4.gif

In retrospect this win was one if his very best... Didn't mean THAT much at the time, awesome as it was.

And by "awesome" it's still to this day the only KO I can remember like that... He was throwing superman punches from the same position vs Lil Nog, and others, it was no fluke...

shogunnogueira.jpg

Shogun was so unbelievably good once... It's crazy how good he was. A genuius/psycho in total control of every limb, all of which felt like concrete to his opponent, but moved like rubber.

These kids today just don't understand...

Last edited:
In retrospect this win was one if his very best... Didn't mean THAT much at the time, awesome as it was.

And by "awesome" it's still to this day the only KO I can remember like that... He was throwing superman punches from the same position vs Lil Nog, and others, it was no fluke...

shogunnogueira.jpg

Shogun was so unbelievably good once... It's crazy how good he was. A genuius/psycho in total control of every limb, all of which felt like concrete to his opponent, but moved like rubber.
shogun was getting lit up in that fight, if nogueira had a good take down defense his hand would have been raised

Last edited:
My theory on overeem is that he gets knocked out so easily that it has actually saved him from getting brain damage.

yes a guy like Hendo who’s chin was iron for so long before finally getting cracked is the type of dude who ends up with brain damage. Reem always goes out quick and it’s saved him from career ending trauma

When a fighter has been knocked out quite a few times, you start to hear people saying he should retire for his own safety. For example Chuck Liddell, Dana said he wouldn't let him fight again because he really did not want to see him brain damaged. Overeem has been knocked out and battered in the head far more than Chuck, why is no one worried about him? Ko'ed in MMA 14 times and 3 times in kickboxing.
tamoe, Wednesday at 3:33 PM Report

shogun was getting lit up in that fight, if nogueira had a good take down defense his hand would have been raised in that fight
One of the best fights ever.

Slurred speech is not the only symptom of cte.
Plenty of nfl players had cte and never slurred.

I really hope he doesn't end up a semi vegetable as soon as he turns 60 or something

yes a guy like Hendo who’s chin was iron for so long before finally getting cracked is the type of dude who ends up with brain damage. Reem always goes out quick and it’s saved him from career ending trauma
This type of argument is obviously troll bait, but there are impressionable 16 year olds on this forum so I'll bite.

This is basically "getting stabbed 10 times is worse than getting shot once". You're still doing irreparable damage to the brain by getting KO'd. Anyone who believes being KO'd is somehow better for you in the long run needs their own brain checked.

He gets KO'd but he doesn't take absurd beatings like Diego or Gathje. That's the difference. Some guys are just too durable for their own good.

The only guy who has as much heart as Reem is Bisping. And if you notice, neither really shows signs of CTE. Maybe a mind over matter thing when you're that tough?

I'm not a doctor, but I can assure you that CTE is not a "mind over matter" issue.

Stfu he got his face smashed and stopped, he was done. Doesn’t matter if there was 4 seconds left or .4 seconds left, he was finished

he wasn’t kod. He got a cut. And there was 4 seconds left.
Welcome to mma and prizefighting.

Rozenstruik walked away. Which was foolish. The time should a have ticked off. Overeem stood up instantly.

FYI. It’s not the referees decision to stop a fight from a cut.

you learned something on an anonymous Internet forum dedicated to mma.

to say it doesn’t matter if there was 4 seconds or .4 seconds really tells me a lot about what you think you know and what you’re watching.

He gets KO'd but he doesn't take absurd beatings like Diego or Gathje. That's the difference. Some guys are just too durable for their own good.

I bet a good many of us can remember transitioning from enjoying every minute of Nogueira's insane fights to wishing he weren't so damn tough.... he gave us so many classic battles, I hate to think what those final years of fighting may have done to him. Motherfucker is as tough as they come.

My theory on overeem is that he gets knocked out so easily that it has actually saved him from getting brain damage.
There is medical evidence to support the concept of your theory. Guys that take sustained beatings are the ones you really need to worry about.

Back