Overeem shows no signs of slurred speech or slowness after 17 (T)Kos, 21 years Of fighting

I think about this quite a bit, its absolutely insane, given the battles he's been in.

The only guy who has as much heart as Reem is Bisping. And if you notice, neither really shows signs of CTE. Maybe a mind over matter thing when you're that tough?

Ping may get out somewhat OK. Reem is toast. My dad suffers from it from sports as a young person and he had to retire at 50. Reem will be toast by 50.

They should examine his brain for the cure to CTE.

Some of his KOs have been exceptionally brutal.

Shogun 2 is one that sticks in the memory, he should not have been still cutting to 205 in 2007.
He got stretchered out and rushed to a hospital after this. There's a behind the scenes but I couldn't find it.

RiW4.gif

he does have some brutal KO's but almost all of them happen quickly. Arlovski is the same. he has a lot of KO losses but all of his KOs happen after 1-3 punches usually.

i think the guys who are really in for the CTE are guys like Mark Hunt who eat insane amounts of damage and never go to sleep.

Overeem should have won that fight. His lip was split and the ref called the fight with 4 seconds left.

it’s similar to meldrixk Taylor vs jcc. But a significantly worse stoppage.
Thank you. The ref should not have based that call based on the lip.

Ping may get out somewhat OK. Reem is toast. My dad suffers from it from sports as a young person and he had to retire at 50. Reem will be toast by 50.
What sport and how often did he get impacts?

I am reading it's the continuous subconcussive blows and lack of recovery time between them. CTE is almost guaranteed in football players. What is scarier is that sign only start really showing in your 40s and not when you're taking the damage.

My theory on overeem is that he gets knocked out so easily that it has actually saved him from getting brain damage.

i said this a long time in a similar thread (AFAIK).

Maybe his brain gets shut down and that avoids to get more damage since he looks legit dead. Remember the Ngannou Ko, he didn't needed another strike since reem looked like dead or something.

He’s like bob sapp he never gets hurt he fakes it for the quick paycheck

That's the benefit of having a weak chin

I think it’s just genetics.

He also can’t sustain much damage without the lights going out, so he’s saved from eating hard blows repetitively.

I have loved watching his fights ever since he was a skinny LHW in PRIDE, but he has been in a lot of wars and has suffered some serious KO's over the years. I will miss him, but I doubt he will ever challenge for a HW title again and wish he would call it a career while he still does have his senses.

he wasn’t kod. He got a cut. And there was 4 seconds left.
Welcome to mma and prizefighting.

Rozenstruik walked away. Which was foolish. The time should a have ticked off. Overeem stood up instantly.

FYI. It’s not the referees decision to stop a fight from a cut.

you learned something on an anonymous Internet forum dedicated to mma.

to say it doesn’t matter if there was 4 seconds or .4 seconds really tells me a lot about what you think you know and what you’re watching.
You wrote like 3 paragraphs and acted like you knew what you were talking about in all of them, a referees job is to stop the fight when a fighter has taken too much damage theres nothing in the rules saying a referee can’t stop the bout due to a cut

My theory on overeem is that he gets knocked out so easily that it has actually saved him from getting brain damage.

Very possible. James Toney has taken more damage in a few sparring wars than Reem has taken in his entire career. Toney had one of the best chins of all time and now you can't understand a damn thing he says.

I think about this quite a bit, its absolutely insane, given the battles he's been in.

The only guy who has as much heart as Reem is Bisping. And if you notice, neither really shows signs of CTE. Maybe a mind over matter thing when you're that tough?

Some people are just genetically stronger. Reem is a mash up of Congo Warrior and Viking Pirate. He was born for this shit.

Listening to a guy talk is not the only way to test for brain damage.

Overeem could have the memory of a goldfish for all we know, or have erratic mood swings, anxiety, depression etc. We have no idea what is going on under the hood.

Hopefully he's somehow all good, now and in the future.

They should examine his brain for the cure to CTE.

Some of his KOs have been exceptionally brutal.

Shogun 2 is one that sticks in the memory, he should not have been still cutting to 205 in 2007.
He got stretchered out and rushed to a hospital after this. There's a behind the scenes but I couldn't find it.

RiW4.gif

I think the backstage footage you're looking for was the one from after their first fight (2005 GP). Reem was in bad shape to say the least, taken away from the arena by ambulance

timestamped

I have to assume the 2nd fight was even worse since Reem was ko'd cold

I fucking love that finish, you never see shit like that anymore

I dont really understand how a mans fist and wrist etc can stand up to dropping your entire bodyweight and throwing like that. Thats fucking car crash shit

Shogun has clubs for hands.

He’s still pretty well spoken and charming in his UFC Busan interview.

Rumours of his CTE are much exaggerated.

If I gave you one MacBook that you could have for the rest of your life and no chance of fixing at a Genius Bar, and if you’re lucky Ben Carson would work on it for you. Would you punch that MacBook with an 8 ounce glove ? Or kick it or knee it? Allistar has brain damage, just not showing now, when it does show, it will be depressingly obvious

Back