Ortega 2.0 is a myth

Holloway took it out of him. He looked better against KZ because Zombie isn't at that level. I didn't like what I saw out of Ortega and think the narrative of new and improved is B.S. created by UFC announcers/marketing. Am I missing something?

He looked really good IMO. Physically much sturdier and was clearly sticking TKZ with hard, heavy shots even when he wasn’t throwing heat.

I think TKZ would’ve tuned him up if they’d fought a year or two earlier. Ortega has always had a big frame for 145 and has showed a knack for timing big shots to finish fights (most notably Edgar but earlier too), but he never looked like a size bully. He made TKZ (who isn’t a large feather but has good core strength, hits hard and has a good chin) look completely JV, like he was in the wrong division and knew it.

That’s how I would’ve expected Jung to look if he randomly took a fight at 155. It reminded me of Holloway vs Poirier — not overmatched in talent or skill but clearly outgunned physically and destined to get big brothered.

Now, who knows how that will translate against a really strong guy like Volkanovski, especially because he follows good gameplans and tactical nuance still isn’t Ortega’s thing. If CKB has this scouted properly I can see Volk breaking down the legs, using the clinch wisely (gotta be careful, but he’s a fire hydrant and probably not easy to choke), and taking another decision win.

But ignoring the matchup for a moment, Ortega looks championship caliber to me right now. The challenge now that he’s regularly hurting guys standing is obvious. Off the top of my head I recall him hurting guys with punches, knees, and two completely different varieties of elbows. And we know about the BJJ. There’s no safe place that I can see in grappling/clinching range, and he’s pretty rangey to be on your bike for 25 minutes against.

Max still has the right style because he doesn’t need to get inside and he isn’t likely to walk into those knees and elbows (he just pulls and cracks), but I’m starting to think I’m gonna bet on BO against Volk.

He looked really good IMO. Physically much sturdier and was clearly sticking TKZ with hard, heavy shots even when he wasn’t throwing heat.

I think TKZ would’ve tuned him up if they’d fought a year or two earlier. Ortega has always had a big frame for 145 and has showed a knack for timing big shots to finish fights (most notably Edgar but earlier too), but he never looked like a size bully. He made TKZ (who isn’t a large feather but has good core strength, hits hard and has a good chin) look completely JV, like he was in the wrong division and knew it.

That’s how I would’ve expected Jung to look if he randomly took a fight at 155. It reminded me of Holloway vs Poirier — not overmatched in talent or skill but clearly outgunned physically and destined to get big brothered.

Now, who knows how that will translate against a really strong guy like Volkanovski, especially because he follows good gameplans and tactical nuance still isn’t Ortega’s thing. If CKB has this scouted properly I can see Volk breaking down the legs, using the clinch wisely (gotta be careful, but he’s a fire hydrant and probably not easy to choke), and taking another decision win.

But ignoring the matchup for a moment, Ortega looks championship caliber to me right now. The challenge now that he’s regularly hurting guys standing is obvious. Off the top of my head I recall him hurting guys with punches, knees, and two completely different varieties of elbows. And we know about the BJJ. There’s no safe place that I can see in grappling/clinching range, and he’s pretty rangey to be on your bike for 25 minutes against.

Max still has the right style because he doesn’t need to get inside and he isn’t likely to walk into those knees and elbows (he just pulls and cracks), but I’m starting to think I’m gonna bet on BO against Volk.
After I made this post I went and watched Ortega vs Zombie again. There's no doubt Ortega has improved a lot. Will it be enough to beat Volk? I'm not sure. If Ortega isn't championship caliber he is right below and only because Volk and Max are in the same division. I also saw where he wants a rematch against Max. You gotta love someone going through that kind of fight, training and improving and now asking for a rematch. I think Ortega is very good, I should've made this thread different. I need to watch this fight but i'm starting to think Ortega can beat Max in a rematch. Holloway is one of my favorite fighters but I think he can be beat.

After I made this post I went and watched Ortega vs Zombie again. There's no doubt Ortega has improved a lot. Will it be enough to beat Volk? I'm not sure. If Ortega isn't championship caliber he is right below and only because Volk and Max are in the same division. I also saw where he wants a rematch against Max. You gotta love someone going through that kind of fight, training and improving and now asking for a rematch. I think Ortega is very good, I should've made this thread different. I need to watch this fight but i'm starting to think Ortega can beat Max in a rematch. Holloway is one of my favorite fighters but I think he can be beat.
I'm glad you now see how wrong your first post was. You may want to go back and edit it ;)

Kudos on willingness to admit it - many around here never would. Cheers.

Back