News OPPONENT SWAP! Tatsuro Taira will now fight Alex Perez, while Joshua Van will take on Tagir Ulanbekov, June 15

Who wins?

• Total voters
And has since shown with his better wins against better competition that he deserves a top 10 fighter more than Taira. Im not even against Taira getting this opportunity but I don't think it should come at the cost of Tagir getting screwed.

He has only two wins since then and they're against Nate manness and Cody durden. If you can't see why they'd rather give it to the guy that's 15-0, 5-0 in the ufc, and fresh off a knockout, then I don't know what you're looking at.

Wouldn't that be a step down for Perez?

I like Taira, but that dude likes to be a blanket

He has only two wins since then and they're against Nate manness and Cody durden. If you can't see why they'd rather give it to the guy that's 15-0, 5-0 in the ufc, and fresh off a knockout, then I don't know what you're looking at.
Both are better competition than much of what Taira has faced and Durden in particular is a better win than anything on Taira's record. Lets be honest this has more to do with UFC wanting to push a certain demographic than do with anything Taira has done in the UFC. Take another look at Tairas record and the competition he has faced its not as impressive as it looks.

Funny how they're just catapulting Taira from the early prelims to the main event. Time for his submission ability to be tested. If he can't choke Perez then Perez might be dangerous enough to clock him.

Van getting an early-career wrestling-test. Never was very confident in Tagir's striking for a flyweight. It's something that seems like it should be good at a higher weightclass but not flyweight. Him getting flummoxed by Tim Elliott makes me wonder how he'll handle the speed and pazzazz of Van's striking.

Makes sense. Taira should be getting aligned with a title shot, and Perez is a better opponent for that.

could see this being too much of a jump for taira. really hope he doesn't take a crushing loss and lose all confidence, ruining him mentally. we've seen that happen to dozens of guys. they take too big a jump and get crushed, then they're never the same.

Makes sense. Taira should be getting aligned with a title shot, and Perez is a better opponent for that.
he's never faced anyone even close to ranked. i think this fight looks crazy juxtaposed with his last 3

Alex Perez will have fought more over 4 months than over the 4 years before

he's never faced anyone even close to ranked. i think this fight looks crazy juxtaposed with his last 3
That's fine. Taira is 15-0. It's time for him to stop taking baby steps and see what he can do against the top.

The matchmakers realised they'd booked Tatsuro against a non-Latino, and moved as quickly as possible to rectify their error.

LOL.

It certainly is a trend, isn't it?

Both are better competition than much of what Taira has faced and Durden in particular is a better win than anything on Taira's record. Lets be honest this has more to do with UFC wanting to push a certain demographic than do with anything Taira has done in the UFC. Take another look at Tairas record and the competition he has faced its not as impressive as it looks.

Yes, tagir's beaten marginally better guys, but he lost two fights ago. It isnt rocket science man. And if the ufc really were on a mission of pushing taira just because he's japanese, then they wouldn't have put this together all scatterbrained and last minute while he was mid camp for a different opponent -- they would have done it under more advantageous conditions.

It just makes sense to push the younger fighter who has never once tasted defeat in his entire pro and amateur career than a guy who lost to tim elliott two fights ago. Tagir's hype balloon has popped a little. Taira's hasn't. It is simple.

He was scheduled to fight Elliott first, Van was a substitute so glad he's getting a ranked opponent now. Also looks like Perez has been switched back and forth between opponents before they decided on this..

I felt like Taira could prey on Van's slow starts, but him against the mythological Active!Perez is interesting. Alex has historically struggled with his submission defense which is worrisome against Tatsuro, but he has shown more awareness on the mats in his last few bouts and I expect him to thoroughly outstrike Taira if the younger man can't force constant scrambles. Could see a potential derailment, but I'm rooting for Taira for sure.

Van and Tagir is also interesting; I think Tagir has the right set of tools to really capitalize on Josh's lackadaisical Round 1 and get out ahead of him before taming his hectic late pace... but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get caught in a pocket exchange.

That's fine. Taira is 15-0. It's time for him to stop taking baby steps and see what he can do against the top.
he should have been brought along a little better honestly. his opponents should have been getting better with each fight. they never gave him a step up until now. will be curious to see the betting odds

Honestly, Taira's pretty inevitable. I think he handles most of the division.

he should have been brought along a little better honestly. his opponents should have been getting better with each fight. they never gave him a step up until now. will be curious to see the betting odds

The UFC tried, but his opponents pulled out each time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back