Opinion: Takedowns/Grappling Scoring needs to be changed

Do you know how hard it is to take somebody down? It’s hard. They deserve all the points in the world for litterally bringing somebody down so hard their legs can’t keep them standing
It means nothing in a fight if you can't capitalize on it.

Fk scoring!

Tap, Snap, or Nap

Everything else is opinion. And it's a draw.

Right, just because it’s hard doesn’t make it effective. Take a spinning backfist for example. 90% of the time when it’s landed it doesn’t do anything and we don’t score it more than a normal punch. It’s way harder but at the end of the day it’s a fight. So why is it different for a takedown.

According to the rules you don't score points if you take someone down and do nothing after it.

It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of
position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown

According to the rules you don't score points if you take someone down and do nothing after it.

It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of
position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown
But do you think that’s how it’s being implemented?

what if you get your ass beat for 4 mins and 50 seconds but get a takedown for 10 seconds?

because that’s how judges are scoring it right now.

once you land that last 10 second takedown you automatically win the round.

dont @Me
This is complete tripe. No MMA judge now, or ever is even remotely close to scoring a round for a single takedown over 4:50 seconds of an ass beating. Don't be absurd.

The way I've been scoring both takedowns and ground/cage control is in regards as to how much offense they lead to. What I mean is that, if the grapplers manages to establish position, advance, negate escape attempts or lands strikes, then I score in favor of them.

However if their opponent is the one dealing offense, even if it's in the way of elbows off their back, awkward strikes while the other guy gets a whiff of their balls or proper submission attempts, then I give out more points to them.

Basically, I rate offense above all. Kinda like Pride did, except I don't go out giving Big Nog a bullshit decision against Rico. Still salty.

This is complete tripe. No MMA judge now, or ever is even remotely close to scoring a round for a single takedown over 4:50 seconds of an ass beating. Don't be absurd.

I told you not to @ me. You are incorrect sir.

I’m tired of seeing guys get credit and be given points by judges for takedowns when they abandon it, or don’t properly secure their opponent after the takedown. And I’m tired of someone leaning someone on the fence and getting credit for a “dominant position”.

Let’s be clear here, getting out of a takedown, or escaping from your opponents ground game, or reversing a position is just as much “grappling” as a takedown. Points should only be scored if the fighter not only uses the position or move, but also does something with it. Otherwise, in my opinion, the escape often times negates the “grappling advantage” gained on the scorecards and fighters should be considered equal.

All they need is a yellow card system, and to not have stupid rules that allow people to essentially force cheating from an opponent as a form of defending themselves. Also people should stop being mediocre at grappling.

I’m tired of seeing guys get credit and be given points by judges for takedowns when they abandon it, or don’t properly secure their opponent after the takedown. And I’m tired of someone leaning someone on the fence and getting credit for a “dominant position”.

Let’s be clear here, getting out of a takedown, or escaping from your opponents ground game, or reversing a position is just as much “grappling” as a takedown. Points should only be scored if the fighter not only uses the position or move, but also does something with it. Otherwise, in my opinion, the escape often times negates the “grappling advantage” gained on the scorecards and fighters should be considered equal.
According to the unified rules, takedowns without a subsequent attack resulting from the established takedown are not supposed to be scored as takedowns at all. I think the rules are alright, the problem might be inside the judges' heads.

PRIORITIZED CRITERIA: Effective Striking/Grappling “Legal blows that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match with the IMMEDIATE weighing in more heavily than the cumulative impact. Successful execution of takedowns, submission attempts, reversals and the achievement of advantageous positions that produce immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute to the end of the match, with the IMMEDIATE weighing more heavily than the cumulative impact.” It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position. This criterion will be the deciding factor in a high majority of decisions when scoring a round. The next two criteria must be treated as a backup and used ONLY when Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal for the round.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/forms_pubs/publications/unified_rules_2017.pdf

EDIT: didn't notice some earlier posts. This will teach me to read the thread before replying :D

Last edited:
The best MMA fighter will not complain about that, it doesn matter how the judges score, he will win.

Don't complain, go train and be able to not be taken down.

what if you get your ass beat for 4 mins and 50 seconds but get a takedown for 10 seconds?

because that’s how judges are scoring it right now.

once you land that last 10 second takedown you automatically win the round.

dont @Me

@Rebel_LioN Got any examples, or are you just making things up to prove an unprovable point? I'd like to know just two instances of rounds that were scored in favor of a ten second takedown rather than four minutes and fifty seconds of dominance.

It means more than not doing it at all, and it certainly means more to take someone down than to get taken down.

That's something the people making these arguments never seem to consider. "It's just a takedown, and shouldn't be scored since nothing happened." Presumably this is coming up because all other aspects of the round have been even so far; otherwise, it wouldn't matter. So then, who should get the advantage? The fighter on his back?

Like it or not, that's octagon control - one fighter is determining, through physical action, where and how the fight is going to take place. And, like it or not, that's one of the primary criteria for scoring a round.

I feel like you have to award cage control. No matter how shitty it is. You shouldn't award someone for getting controlled on the cage. And that shouldn't be a draw.

Failed TDs should not be awarded. Stand ups should be more frequent when fighters are not advancing or attacking.

Easy solution: Just award the strikes landed and look for other things only when there is a draw in that department. Takedowns are just tools to land strikes or get a submission. If you do either of them you already get your reward. If you are doing nothing then you are just stalling the fight and stalling the fight is not being aggressive.

For the leg hugging bums: either put a strict time limit on these stalemate positions or allow 12-6 elbows. Takedowns can be done quickly if the timing and the position is right and of course the fighter is not a bum. If you are forcing it by hugging that one leg on the fence and doing nothing for a good amount of time then you should be separated and be banned from doing it again for the rest of the round & maybe even for the next one.

Last edited:
OP isn't saying it shouldn't be scored positively.

He's likely referring to fighters like Fitch who land a takedown (which they absolutely should be granted credit for on the scorecards) but do very, very little with it.

For instance, if you outstrike someone for 2 minutes in a round, but they land a TD and lay on you for the other 3 mins of the round - IMO the guy who outstruck him should 100% win the round over the guy who just laid on him pitter-pattering him, doing just enough activity to not get stood up for inactivity.

The judges will give the guy who got the TD and laid on the other fighter the round 99/100 times.

Perfectly put!

I agree, you have to do something or the points should be minimal. They should get equal pints for escaping too. And I'm a wrestler first.

the criteria agrees with you

The Unified Rules already say this. Good luck getting blind/stupid/corrupt judges to follow it.

Back