Okami = stronger than Silva? fibertypes, ESD, power training ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody with a 30" + vert can easily squat double bodyweight with some training. Most quick guards can jump pretty high.

I don't think many pro basketball players have great verticals in relation to other sports. The average NBA prospect has a vertical jump of 28"-30", which is lower than football or other sports. When the average gaurd in the NBA is 6'-6", ball handling and endurance on the court are more important that spending time on the weights because they already dunk fairly easily.

Let me put it this way, can you name a baller that wouldn't like to jump another 5 inches or would hate quicker first two steps?

I'm sure they all would, but the question is name some pro ballers who want to put the time in to achieve that when they can be working on the court.

I don't think many pro basketball players have great verticals in relation to other sports. The average NBA prospect has a vertical jump of 28"-30", which is lower than football or other sports. When the average gaurd in the NBA is 6'-6", ball handling and endurance on the court are more important that spending time on the weights because they already dunk fairly easily.

You obviously didn't read the rules of internet weight lifting forums. You aren't allowed to disagree with anyone who regurgitates Siff, Zatsiorsky, or Verkoshansky.

Noob.

I don't know much about basketball players' verts. My point was that anybody who has a 30"+ vert can easily squat double bodyweight with some minimal training. This is certainly true of those under 220lbs.

Get up, go to the bathroom, put some water in your eyes, shake your head a little. Better yet?
Look left and right, now faster, up down, faster, now change it up. Go as fast as you can for a minute. This helps. Feel fresh now? Use cold water on some napkins. Put that in your neck. Now breath deeply 4 times. Try sitting down and if god helps you maybe you can stay concentrated for those long 3 minutes you need to read it now. :rolleyes:

*cough*

Which do you prefer?
A) My eyes hurt.

or

B) Your thread sucks, jackass.

he's still pissed about their last match.
He's pissed because after he illegally kicked Okami, KOed him, and then got DQed; Okami didn't get back up and let Silva knock him out again. Funny thing to get pissed about.

Your average basketball player is not built to squat 2.5x bodyweight. They don't have the thick hips that Dave Tate mentions. Many of them have rather tight muscles from jumping and need flexibility work just to be able to squat to a reasonable depth.
When the average gaurd in the NBA is 6'-6", ball handling and endurance on the court are more important that spending time on the weights because they already dunk fairly easily.
Ding ding. Getting much above the rim is kinda pointless. A 6'8" guy needs a 20" vertical to touch the rim. Whooptiefriggendo about that vertical.

He's pissed because after he illegally kicked Okami, KOed him, and then got DQed; Okami didn't get back up and let Silva knock him out again. Funny thing to get pissed about.

Never said he had a right to be pissed.

MMA isn't like real fighting. In a real fight, nobody would stop you if you kicked your opponent with your heel.

You obviously didn't read the rules of internet weight lifting forums. You aren't allowed to disagree with anyone who regurgitates Siff, Zatsiorsky, or Verkoshansky.

Noob.

A lot of technical advancements only become possible through speed and an NBA season is long. They spend lots of time on the court and already play fantastic basketball. Why you would say that you won't find ballers training with weights is beyond me. Not even in the off season? I'm sure there is a reason why many ballers have strength and conditioning coaches and often times teams have performance gurus on the payroll as well as awesome weight facilities.

The guys you just named are king though. I gotta admit I gurgle their balls.

Basketball players do put in time for strength training, but the game just isn't very demanding for strength.

Your average basketball player is not built to squat 2.5x bodyweight. They don't have the thick hips that Dave Tate mentions.

They just move like that. Has nothing to do with power.
carter_dunk.JPG

aistopngo.jpg

Many of them have rather tight muscles from jumping and need flexibility work just to be able to squat to a reasonable depth.
You're right, they are completely stiff. Dennis Rodman for example
07_sam_forencich.jpg
:icon_chee
Why would they be stiff? Because they train quick coordinated movements at ridiculous speed? Also why would they need to "hit rock bottom"? Why even try reaping the benefits in a ROM they don't use. "No Vince, that's wrong man. The powerlifting rules clearly state you have to get lower then this." :rolleyes: Makes perfect sense.

Ding ding. Getting much above the rim is kinda pointless. A 6'8" guy needs a 20" vertical to touch the rim. Whooptiefriggendo about that vertical.

A 6'8'' guy could have a 6'11'' guy to guard. Whoopdifuggindoo if you can't reach high enough to block the guy and he is on fire. Or how about a powerful, very fast 6'5'' guy. Kind of sucks when he dribbles too low and is always two steps ahead of you. Makes for a nice offensive match up, but on the defense you're bound to look bad. See, sometimes you'll need to be able to jump higher, sometimes you wish you were quicker. Good basketball players have power. On the NBA level they are all great athletes. Technique is no substitute for speed, strength and endurance in any sport.

Get up, go to the bathroom, put some water in your eyes, shake your head a little. Better yet?
Look left and right, now faster, up down, faster, now change it up. Go as fast as you can for a minute. This helps. Feel fresh now? Use cold water on some napkins. Put that in your neck. Now breath deeply 4 times. Try sitting down and if god helps you maybe you can stay concentrated for those long 3 minutes you need to read it now. :rolleyes:

I like you.

I hear Durant is a monster in the gym. WTF is this goddamn thread about?

Basketball players do put in time for strength training, but the game just isn't very demanding for strength.

It is demanding for strength. Golf doesn't need much strength. Forwards and centers need strength all the time. Smaller guys need explosiveness and therefore, you guessed it, strength. Why do they have power in the "power forward"?

253476741_890cb66ecc.jpg

pb_shawn-kemp.jpg

manute%20bol.jpg

Whoops wrong folder. :icon_chee

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...r+squatting&start=20&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=de&sa=N

NBA player 10 times 315. With good technique 400 is certainly possible. He packs a bulky 205 pounds. That's a double bodyweight squat for you. It says lifting greatly helped him. That was his second season and he is in the weight room with a double BW squat working on strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back