Law Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

The Ohio House on Wednesday passed the "Student Religious Liberties Act." Under the law, students can't be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs.

Instead, students are graded on substance and relevance.
People who obviously don't know how the scientific method works should not be in the position to pass any laws, acts, bills, etc. If something is 'scientifically wrong' that means it was tested and proven to be false. Science doesn't state something is flat out wrong unless there is unequivocal proof that is the case.

Also, how are students graded on substance and relevance? Faith has no substance or relevance, that's why it is called faith and belief not fact and evidence.

Humanity just got a little dumber. It isn't like this is the dark ages where people didn't have access to information and religion ruled with an iron fist. People are choosing this backward nonsense even though they have full access to the entirety of humanity's knowledge at their fingertips. This is utterly depressing.

Putting on my "I'm an asshole hat"

Well, people claim there's 90 genders but gender reassignment surgery doesn't have an option for "Apache Helicopter"

CHECKMATE LIBRULS!!!!!!!

I went to the second most conservative college in the country. Yes, people still tried to disprove evolution. That this is so unbelievable to you means that you're probably not fully apprised as to the depth of religious opposition to the ToE, and thus not equipped to have this discussion in an informed manner.

That's even ignoring that the "just a theory" statement was mentioned multiple times in high school. I was the kid that pushed back against that.

This is a reality of our educational system. This is why there's so much pushback.

We recieved the "it's a theory" statement, but the answers on the test were still right or wrong.

This reminds me of that private school in Florida, receiving taxpayer dollars, which taught kids slavery wasnt bad and man walked with dinosaurs in the 80s.

Lulzmurka dafuq?

Keep your religion out of the science classroom, and reserve your ridiculous, backward beliefs to your place of worship.

We recieved the "it's a theory" statement, but the answers on the test were still right or wrong.

Multiple choice, sure.

Anything that requires detailed review (essays for instance) would be subject to judgment on the part of the teacher. This law restrains that judgment on the basis of procedure instead of evidence. It literally turns an understanding of the evidence into a holistic review that must be understanding of the student's deeply ingrained religious beliefs on their substance instead of their validity. Basically the antithesis of informed learning, but especially within the hard sciences such as Biology, where I expect this to have the most impact.

does any other country have to deal with American style conservatives like we have over here on a daily basis?
Most Islamic countries. Quranic science is a thing, after all, and has been taught in UK schools. All a bunch of nonsense. If it's not repeatable and testable it has no business being in academia. The arts being one obvious exception.

Multiple choice, sure.

Anything that requires detailed review (essays for instance) would be subject to judgment on the part of the teacher. This law restrains that judgment on the basis of procedure instead of evidence. It literally turns an understanding of the evidence into a holistic review that must be understanding of the student's deeply ingrained religious beliefs on their substance instead of their validity. Basically the antithesis of informed learning, but especially within the hard sciences such as Biology, where I expect this to have the most impact.

I dont read that in the text and you have to really reach to come to thst conclusion.

Most Islamic countries. Quranic science is a thing, after all, and has been taught in UK schools. All a bunch of nonsense. If it's not repeatable and testable it has no business being in academia. The arts being one obvious exception.

I’m talking about 1st world nations. No first world nation has to deal with this like we do in the states

Is the story in the OP fake? I'll admit I didn't really read the article, just responded to the OP.

Here is the State Gov. webpage with a link to the Bill's text. It's a Pdf file.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA133-HB-164

Page 16 seems to be the relevant bit.

No school district board of education, governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work. Sec. 3326.11. Each science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under this chapter and its governing body shall comply with sections....

Re. Bolded
That bit is broad. Just from looking at the wording, it could technically allow religious explanations to be used in homework assignments, even if they run counter to scientific theory. One might have to wait and see if the wording of the Bill will be used in such a manner. There could also be some background context to this Bill that those not following developments in Ohio on such matters would not know. For example, in the late 1800s, the South enacted laws to disenfranchise Black voters, but they didn't overtly state in Text that Blacks were not allowed to vote, they just enacted measures like Poll Taxes and other requirements.

Here is the State Gov. webpage with a link to the Bill's text. It's a Pdf file.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA133-HB-164

Page 16 seems to be the relevant bit.

No school district board of education, governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work. Sec. 3326.11. Each science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under this chapter and its governing body shall comply with sections....

Re. Bolded
That bit is broad. Just from looking at the wording, it could technically allow religious explanations to be used in homework assignments, even if they run counter to scientific theory. One might have to wait and see if the wording if the Bill will be used in such a manner. There could also be some background context to this Bill that those not following developments in Ohio on such matters would not know. For example, in the late 1800s, the South enacted laws to disenfranchise Black voters, but they didn't overtly state in Text that Blacks were not allowed to vote, they just enacted measures like Poll Taxes and other requirements.
Hmm, I would say the concern is fair but at the same time it doesn't appear to me that what is claimed in the OP is necessarily a consequence of the law. So I'd like to see an example of something egregious being excused by this law or at least one of the politicians behind the bill mentioning something that would suggest the bill was written and passed for that purpose.

The earth being anything less that 14 billion years old would certainly be a lie

Edit: Was pointed out to me that the earth is roughly 4 billion years old and it's the universe that is 14 billion years old.
LOL! Didn't take much to get you to change your mind on the age of the Earth.

Ah, let's not split hairs over 10 billion years, amirite!?

Hmm, I would say the concern is fair but at the same time it doesn't appear to me that what is claimed in the OP is necessarily a consequence of the law. So I'd like to see an example of something egregious being excused by this law or at least one of the politicians behind the bill mentioning something that would suggest the bill was written and passed for that purpose.
That's the thing, we would have to wait and see if some religious kid uses the Bill to justify claims in an assignment that runs contrary to accepted scientific consensus.
The Bill text is broad enough that at this point it is a wait and see thing.

I am just going to be agnostic , i.e. not making a stand one way or the other.

lmao, this shit is hilarious!

Why not? College professors allow males to pretend they're females even though they are scientifically wrong, and teachers have even been fired for not calling students by their "preferred pronoun" even if they are scientifically wrong.

Some of you even support men who pretend to be women beating the shit out of biological women in women's sports, even though these people are scientifically men.

So, in other words, it's okay for the left to take a huge shit on science, and become "science deniers" when science doesn't suit their political narrative, but it isn't okay for religious people. Gotcha. Idiots.

Yeah, to be aghast at the Ohio legislature for trying making schools 'anti-science' while supporting (or at least not caring about) schools treating kids born without a vagina like they're girls is laughable.

Back