Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nunes caught flack for pulling out against Shevchenko due to a sinus infection combined with sinusitis. The Weight cut has nothing to do with sinus problems.

Hoping that 145 will sprout is wishful thinking, indeed.

And the shit she got for it was ridiculous. A bunch of dipshits who have never fought since their sister kicked their ass for smelling her panties were running on about "Amanda had the sniffles." Morons. And Dana did not help. Given that with inflammation of the nasal passages - which is apparently a chronic condition with her - and an infection she was smart to pull out. Should her nose have been broken and damaged tissue torn, her infection could have quickly become septic, which is just what you want in your face and right below your brain. Really.

Does it seem that the cut to 135 might be a little too taxing for Nunes? I'd venture to guess that some of the health problems she faced in past fights were compounded by the toll of weight cutting. She showed durability and wrecked shop at 145. Is there a possibility that FW might magically start to grow so there'd be a viable division for her to sit atop?

It wasn't all that long ago that Nunes caught a lot of flack for pulling out of fights. Now, she's being heralded as the GOAT for bringing the giant down. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking in hoping that 145 will sprout so that Nunes can stay there and have an active/viable career (without hurting herself to cut to 135). I think it would make BW more interesting, as well.

Dunno. She does not seem unduly lean at 135.

Shit remains for prospects at 145. In the smaller orgs the talent is, well, let me be polite and say sub-standard.

I think to keep any YT channel fresh and watchable, you need (at least) two out of three things: detailed information, somewhat controversial/debatable opinions,

These are great ideas, to highlight this one in particular, my suggestion in line with it would be make a 'Miesha Tate is the REAL WMMA GOAT!!!' video.

I'm a great believer in credit where it's due too so the opening line should be something like 'thanks to my friend JarlSkuld for suggesting this video' :)

Does it seem that the cut to 135 might be a little too taxing for Nunes? I'd venture to guess that some of the health problems she faced in past fights were compounded by the toll of weight cutting. She showed durability and wrecked shop at 145. Is there a possibility that FW might magically start to grow so there'd be a viable division for her to sit atop?

It wasn't all that long ago that Nunes caught a lot of flack for pulling out of fights. Now, she's being heralded as the GOAT for bringing the giant down. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking in hoping that 145 will sprout so that Nunes can stay there and have an active/viable career (without hurting herself to cut to 135). I think it would make BW more interesting, as well.
It's actually what I'd prefer to see happen. There's not many small BWs in the ufc most are flyweight now. 135 got big because of Ronda now she's gone and Cyborg dethroned the ufc should do away with 135 all th girls there fight at 145 get to cut less be stronger and keeps Anderson, Chiasson, Cyborg and hopefully Spencer soon active with more options.

49702385_977268122462825_2768721075041730560_n.jpg

Me and Jess hanging out this weekend.

I totally took this picture, it looks like a selfie, but its not.... I'm good with camera angles and shit.

It's actually what I'd prefer to see happen. There's not many small BWs in the ufc most are flyweight now. 135 got big because of Ronda now she's gone and Cyborg dethroned the ufc should do away with 135 all th girls there fight at 145 get to cut less be stronger and keeps Anderson, Chiasson, Cyborg and hopefully Spencer soon active with more options.
I get the idea, but I just don't like having a 20 pound gap between 125 and 145, even if the talent there is subpar.

The UFC doesn't book many fights at W135 (and obviously W145) and I think the status quo is the best course of action if they plan on keeping 145.

I'd like to see the weight divisions 110, 120, 135, 145-165 (HW)

These are great ideas, to highlight this one in particular, my suggestion in line with it would be make a 'Miesha Tate is the REAL WMMA GOAT!!!' video.

I think that's going overboard a bit and folks won't buy it. You need to be more subtle and targeted with the trolling, for instance, Carla Esparza has more quality wins than Cyborg.

I think that's going overboard a bit and folks won't buy it. You need to be more subtle and targeted with the trolling, for instance, Carla Esparza has more quality wins than Cyborg.

Well, she was fighting people her own size or larger. Only the opposite can be said about Cyborg.

No disrespect to Tecia but I don't think any camp will save her a bad beating here.

TT only lost to elites of WSW in UFC.

Zhang is good, but I'm not convinced that she has already reach elite level. One good performance against low ranked fighter who is near end of her career doesn't prove much.

I'm a great believer in credit where it's due too so the opening line should be something like 'thanks to my friend JarlSkuld for suggesting this video' :)
You just had to go there :)

Does anybody really want 145 to continue in the UFC? Send them over to Bellator for any 125ers they are willing to trade.

I think Tecia vs. Weili will be competitive. I don't think Weili can finish her. And when it comes to staying active and winning rounds, it's usually not wise to bet against Tecia.

Jarl

Nunes caught flack for pulling out against Shevchenko due to a sinus infection combined with sinusitis. The Weight cut has nothing to do with sinus problems.

It's been my experience that tough physical training combined with weight loss, dehydration, and the stresses of travel are a great way to weaken the immune system. I'm inclined to think that those factors aren't helpful to Nunes' pre-existing sinus condition. Cut to 135, get sick and compromise cardio/endurance. Fight at 145, destroy. Too bad she would never have more than about 1.5 opponents at FW.

It's been my experience that tough physical training combined with weight loss, dehydration, and the stresses of travel are a great way to weaken the immune system. I'm inclined to think that those factors aren't helpful to Nunes' pre-existing sinus condition. Cut to 135, get sick and compromise cardio/endurance. Fight at 145, destroy. Too bad she would never have more than about 1.5 opponents at FW.

All true, but consider the source. leto hasn't exercised since grade school.

The rest of us realize how taxing constant hard training and weight-cutting (and I've only ever cut smaller amounts very gradually, nothing like the insane amounts mixed martial artists cut inside of a week) is on the body, including the immune system.

Anyways, on to the main point of my topic; what is with the sudden talk of Vieira as a serious title challenger?!

She had a very close match against Cat Zingano of all people, winning the first while inflicting little damage, winning a close second while inflicting zero damage, and then losing the third round. All while getting out-struck by Zingano and showing some of the worst stand-up in the entirety of the UFC. Her advantages are that she is really big and strong at 135 and her takedowns are decent, although she does very little with them.

135 is weak, but even Holm and GDR would probably beat her, nevermind Nunes.

You just had to go there :)

Does anybody really want 145 to continue in the UFC? Send them over to Bellator for any 125ers they are willing to trade.

I think Tecia vs. Weili will be competitive. I don't think Weili can finish her. And when it comes to staying active and winning rounds, it's usually not wise to bet against Tecia.

Jarl

You probably know my thoughts about the post-apocalyptic wasteland that is 145.

You probably know my thoughts about the post-apocalyptic wasteland that is 145.

Perhaps the only hope to breathe some life into WFW is for a few of us Sherdoggers to identify as women and cut to 145. Probably more viable than just hoping that fighters start coming out of the woodwork. Then again, Ms. Harrison could be tearing it up in the UFC WFW by this time next year. Help us, Obi Wan Harrison. You're our only hope!

I don't know about that per se, but I would suggest separating each particular subject, or type of video, at least (in the case of fight outcome news), into each its own video, having the subject in the title, and then get right to it quickly.

On the one hand, some potential viewers will skip over videos where the title doesn't interest them, but on the other hand, those drawn to the video by an interest in the title will not get frustrated waiting for the topic that they came for to begin.

I personally don't like fight companion videos. I would much rather listen to a video before a card talking about the matchups, what the stakes are and who you think might win and then later on I like a post-fight video talking about what happened and what it means going forward. Fight companions are no fun from my perspective because I won't listen to them during the card since I am watching and listening to the broadcast and they are kind of dated to listen to afterwards because it's insufferable when they go on far too long in real time with lots of dead space with all the drama missing since you already know what happened.

Maybe just keep it fun, concise, and entertaining. I used to really enjoy the old WMMA Roundup channel. However, I think that sort of thing takes a LOT of work (if it's going to be anything more than a couple minutes long.) So, probably just short, fun videos that cram in a bunch of info. As long as you don't go into too much detail, offering brief personal opinion is fine. Just state and go on to the next subject. No need for a ten-minute breakdown of personal thoughts on a particular fighter (as seen on some channels covering WMMA).

Whatever you choose to do with the platform, thank you for putting in the time and effort to help keep others up to speed!

Missed this the first time. Responding only to let you know that you are not being ignored, as I have literally no idea. I suck at advertising/marketing.

You could possibly do companion pieces (meaning: written) for some of your videos. I know videos are more popular, and from content writing I have done in the past to supplement my income I know you need to keep them short as your average internet reader has the attention span of a fruit-fly (4 second click-through rate).

Maybe do something on the history of a fighter? How and why they started but, more importantly for me, how their training has changed since they started. Study the actual evolution of the training that makes a fighter. This is what I find most interesting, but I am a small minority.

Great ideas. Biographical info about fighters would be an interesting read, but that also seems like it might require a lot of time: interviewing fighters, writing, editing... As much as I appreciate the small-community efforts put forth by individuals, I'd feel selfish in encouraging them to sacrifice their time simply for my entertainment. There sure are some knowledgeable and dedicated members in this forum!

I think to keep any YT channel fresh and watchable, you need (at least) two out of three things: detailed information, somewhat controversial/debatable opinions, and/or humor.
1. information: It might seem redundant, but a lot of WMMA fans (myself included) don't keep up with fighter updates on social media. So, just collecting that data, summarizing and presenting it in an easily digestible form would be helpful.
2. opinion: sometimes a YT video can generate a lot of buzz with an opinion or clash of opinions (which carries over into the comments). Someone recently wrote about "Nunes being/not being the WMMA GOAT". Great topic with a lot of possible avenues of discussion: what's more important in determining this criteria? 20+ wins? Wins over other high-level fighters? Meteoric rise/aura of invincibility? Long winning streak? Few losses? All losses avenged? Multiple-time champion? Compare and contrast various candidates. It will probably bring out some fan-boi-ism, but it could also inform some people too. Maybe cover a potential GOAT candidate with each episode and add something like at the end like, "Amanda Nunes might not be the GOAT now, but if she does X, Y, and Z, the crown is hers for the taking." You could just as easily include segments about rising stars. Suarez and Ladd are on verge of taking over the UFC but most fight fans don't know much about them
3. humor: I don't know what you sense of humor or delivery skills are like, but they can spice up a show. Even just the occasional WMMA fans only will get this joke kind of thing could be a lot of fun.
4. Lastly, keep you videos short. Most of the people making MMA videos on YT know seem to deliberately keep them under 10 minutes and included all three of the criteria I listed above. I should point that I not an expert on this things, but these are just my insights based on what I've seen. I think a thick, solid, tight (8-minute) vid with 2-3 minutes of collected social media information would be a good start...then a opinion of the week segment with 2-3 minutes and even multiple contributors to get the discussion rolling....maybe a "blast from the past" segment featuring some now forgotten pioneers for WMMA pre-Rousey....maybe a most anticipated fight over the next two weeks (and why)...and a joke at the very end.

Anyway, that's my overly-long-winded basket of ideas. I hope you are super successful.

Jarl

agree with all of that

i would also say dont be scared of scripting, if you can script and read it quickly you can do in three minutes what would take 6-7 minutes of slower improv.

time is a massive facftor, people dont watch long videos anymore, they want punchy, quick. hell, if you can get segments under 30-45 seconds then you can put the entire segment in a tweet

Thanks. Will take all of this into account.

Also, working on my 2019 edition of “A Case for UFC Atomweight.” Stay tuned.

Polyana Viana (10-2,1-1 UFC) beat up a guy who attempted to rob her:

TT only lost to elites of WSW in UFC.

Zhang is good, but I'm not convinced that she has already reach elite level. One good performance against low ranked fighter who is near end of her career doesn't prove much.

I have so much respect for Tecia. Arrives prepared, fights strong. She's a tough opponent for Zhang.

Status
Not open for further replies.