Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine Roxy just ruined a metric fuckton of parlays

Not mine
aLRT7y1.jpg
<GSPWoah>

Really disappointed with the result, I gave Roxy no chance. She didn't just beat her, she kicked her ass all 3 rounds. Within the first few seconds it felt like I was watching Antonina v Roxy, Roxy taking her down at will and controlling her. And then K1 Roxy showed up in round 2 and rocked Maycee. Maycee showed a lot of heart to see out the end of the fight, especially with no legs. She's only 21 and will improve.

Tonight is Roxy's night, she stepped up and delivered an amazing performance. I'll never doubt her again.

Well, I was impressed by your girl's ability to survive. I guess I'm eating my words now.

You guys and girls were right in your prediction. I hyped up Maycee a lot, while she will improve and may even become champion one day, she still has a lot of things to work on. I do hope they get FOTN, Roxy deserves the bonus.

Last edited:
I expected Maycee to have a larger strength & athletic advantage but it appears Roxy's strength & conditioning training is continuing to pay off for her. She looked to be in the best shape of her life and was actually moving around decently instead her old awkward about to trip on her own feet style. I thought Roxy would have her moments with how sloppy and fundamentally unsound Barber is, but the physicality gap was close enough for Roxy to dominate with her vast experience & skills advantage.

I've said many times that Barber has a shitty stance and leaves her head right there to be hit, all it would take is someone to put a straight punch down the middle since she has no guard or defence. I didn't think Roxy would be the one to do it, but well, here we are. Fundamentals matter, the good old 1-2 never goes out of style. And once Roxy got top position it was pretty much game over, Barber has little fundamental grappling and relies on gimmick moves like the attempted armlock and pure strength to get out of trouble.

Overall thoughts. Well done by Roxy, she continues to improve late in her career. Kinda wonder what could've been if she'd found a good camp 5-10 years ago and gotten the training then that she's getting now. Barber gritted it out and survived an injury, but it appears my assessment of Doofus Sport is accurate; her skills are still stagnated or going backwards and it's her strength, toughness, and aggression that gets her by. If that doesn't change soon she's gonna be another PVZ.

Sometimes I wonder how the UFC matchmakers got their jobs. Whose idea was it to put Holly vs Rocky as a Co Main. I would not have even put them on the PPV.

I didn't expect much, yet the fight still managed to disappoint. A win is a win as they say, but let's just say if it were pretty much anyone other than Holly she'd either get cut or buried in the early prelims for her next fight.

First off, that Mazo vs Aldrich: that was absolute bullshit. Aldrich got robbed. She cleanly won the first and 2nd. All Mazo did in the 2nd was land two good strikes. The rest of the time she was hitting air. 2 good strikes should not count for more than a round of getting countered just because you were moving forward. She won the third easily, but it should have been a 29-28 for Aldrich.

Holly vs Pennington went how I expected.

I'm a bit pissed off because I had 3k on Aldrich and Holly to win . . . but whatever.

I've been saying all week that Roxy has what it takes to beat Barber, especially if she got her down. She was lighting her up easily on the feet. I expected this, considering Aldrich was lighting Barber up too for the first round when they fought, and Roxy is crafty as fuck. She got the takedown easily and only the casuals don't understand just how legit Roxy is on the ground.

Always a fucking pleasure to see Roxy win, especially when they throw her in against girls who they expect to use her as a stepping stone.

#Roxybless.

First off, that Mazo vs Aldrich: that was absolute bullshit. Aldrich got robbed. She cleanly won the first and 2nd. All Mazo did in the 2nd was land two good strikes. The rest of the time she was hitting air. 2 good strikes should not count for more than a round of getting countered just because you were moving forward. She won the third easily, but it should have been a 29-28 for Aldrich.

I'd disagree. We're not doing Cecil Peoples scoring, low kicks and body kicks & knees do count and Mazo landed a lot of them. In most of the exchanges, Mazo caught JJ with a knee on the way in or hit her with a kick and followed her back out with punches. Mazo also started the round well by cranking up the aggression and throwing a ton of punch combos at JJ, a lot of them missed but enough connected to score the early part of the round in her favour. JJ might've edged out the middle part of the 2nd by connecting with some solid punches, but again, she was usually countered with a knee or kick to the body and followed back out with a punching combo. The last part of the round easily sealed it for Mazo since she landed clean and did way more damage to JJ than Aldrich did to her.

I'd disagree. We're not doing Cecil Peoples scoring, low kicks and body kicks & knees do count and Mazo landed a lot of them. In most of the exchanges, Mazo caught JJ with a knee on the way in or hit her with a kick and followed her back out with punches. Mazo also started the round well by cranking up the aggression and throwing a ton of punch combos at JJ, a lot of them missed but enough connected to score the early part of the round in her favour. JJ might've edged out the middle part of the 2nd by connecting with some solid punches, but again, she was usually countered with a knee or kick to the body and followed back out with a punching combo. The last part of the round easily sealed it for Mazo since she landed clean and did way more damage to JJ than Aldrich did to her.

Your entitled to your opinion. Me, I thought JJ's straights down the middle were far more effective than Mazo's strikes. Mazo missed most of those shots on the break as well. The leg kicks were nice however. I seriously think a lot of it was her constant moving forward that helped sway the judges.

Say a few things for Mazo, she's got heart, she's fit, and when she thinks she's down, she fucking goes for it hard.

You can disagree with the decision all you like, but anyone who calls Aldrich-Mazo a "robbery" doesn't know what the fuck a robbery is.

As for Barber, it's not as simple as "she's only 21!"

-Her chin sucks. Like, it's made out of pure glass.
-Physically, she is as evolved as she is going to get, especially since she has already used a large amount of..."supplementation".
-Skill-wise, it's pathetic how little improvement she has made. She was as helpless off her back, for instance, as she was against Mallory Martin back in LFA, her 2nd pro fight. Her defense has barely improved across her fights, too, and she is slower than ever.

All of these mean a lot more limitations than one would normally expect of a 21 year-old fighting at that level.

246: ROXY AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

maycee was humbled. my night was made.

Mazo v. Aldrich. I scored it for Mazo as I felt in round two her leg kicks were effective and she landed the most effective exchange of the round toward the end. Round three was all Mazo. Good fight.

Roxy v. Barber. Roxy has improved her strength and standup game. Fun seeing the crowd cheering for her. I still like Barber, she showed grit after the knee injury. Hope she's not out for too long.

Holm v. Pennington. Holm is more athletic & has better fight iq. Pennington disappointed by not adjusting her style. Kept going for the clinch even though Holm dominated those exchanges.

maycee was humbled.

Was she though? She butted in and grabbed the mic Kanye style (who TF ever does that) before Roxy could even speak a word of her postfight interview uninvited even after getting her butt kicked and while having only 1 leg to stand on.

Needs further humbling IMO
<Sansa00>

I hope Shannon had a scout in the crowd...?

(if not someone needs to forward the suggestion)

It's called Takanakuy, even has a Wikipedia page.

Maybe the refs are a bit too HerbDeanish but I like the idea they get to whip the crowd.

Better backing track than Muay Thai, bigger crowds than PFL and no grappling, what's not to like?

I think this is going to be my new go-to sport as Sherdog descends into Conorism.

Am I weird but I was not as impressed with Maycee as I thought I would be after hearing people talk about it. I am not saying she did anything wrong but I did not see a special fighter. I remember the feelings of watching Joanna an Ronda's ascent up the ranks and feeling something different about them. I just don't have that special feeling about her. I believe Maycee did everything right this fight but the outcome was more about her opponents limitations. One thing I really like about Maycee is when she senses the opportunity to end the fight she goes for it and gets it.

I actually think her next fight should be PVZ. Regardless of ranking position I don't think Maycee is ready for a huge jump in competition yet and PVZ's potential and skillz have plateaued. This fight has heat and both are relatively similar in skill level in my opinion so why not. PVZ is probably gone after this fight anyway. I doubt the UFC pays her as much money as Bellator after seeing her career trajectory recently. Bellator has the pretty girl division and PVZ is the ultimate fighter for that division. You know Coker has a line of fighters ready that he will use to make PVZ look like a prospect again.
I just remembered my thoughts on Maycee back in October and it looks like I was not too far off.

Should have knocked her out imo, but the media will probably spin it since she's a pro fighter.

Will always have some affection for Holly for her performance against Ronda, not waiting around and fighting Miesha, and not being scared to fight Cyborg at 145. That being said her fight last night was not entertaining. Smart strategy and her genuinely seeming like a nice person helps some of the ho-hum performances she's had recently.

I know the injury played a factor, but cool to see Roxy get the W over Maycee. Leading up to the fight it seemed like there was a possibly for Roxy to derail the hype train. I think Maycee still has potential, but the constant call-out of Paige (while dissing her talent) seemed ehhh to me and her grabbing the mic to speak after Roxy won was also kinda ehh, even if she seemed to be putting her over.

Status
Not open for further replies.