Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on last night,
I had Aldrich winning but it was close enough that 2nd doesn't much matter. Why can't Mazo fight earlier like she dose in round 3 would be much better?

We all knew Maycee was gonna hit her ceiling pretty soon. I thought her power and toughness would get by the roxy we've seen but Roxy's was even better here then v Shevchenko crazy to see such evolution in an old fighter. While I always viewed her as a hard opponent in the division I think I need to pick her to win more often.

Holm found a way to dominate what was a close fight before. Rocky always been a one dimensional fighter this should not have been booked let alone re-booked. Holly best days might be long gone, in 2017 none of her performances were bad, in 18 while she but a beating on Megan she seemed afraid to even try and stand, then amanda ko'ed her like she wasn't there, now she wall n stall without much output, Rocky actually landed the knees that hurt and made Holm stop clinching in the late 2nd and early 3rd. Seems like she's lost most of her movement and speed, and grinding out wins. I don't know what the ufc do with Holm from here she should just hang it up on win.

Thoughts on last night,
I had Aldrich winning but it was close enough that 2nd doesn't much matter. Why can't Mazo fight earlier like she dose in round 3 would be much better?

We all knew Maycee was gonna hit her ceiling pretty soon. I thought her power and toughness would get by the roxy we've seen but Roxy's was even better here then v Shevchenko crazy to see such evolution in an old fighter. While I always viewed her as a hard opponent in the division I think I need to pick her to win more often.

Holm found a way to dominate what was a close fight before. Rocky always been a one dimensional fighter this should not have been booked let alone re-booked. Holly best days might be long gone, in 2017 none of her performances were bad, in 18 while she but a beating on Megan she seemed afraid to even try and stand, then amanda ko'ed her like she wasn't there, now she wall n stall without much output, Rocky actually landed the knees that hurt and made Holm stop clinching in the late 2nd and early 3rd. Seems like she's lost most of her movement and speed, and grinding out wins. I don't know what the ufc do with Holm from here she should just hang it up on win.
Why should Holm hang it up? She just won a dominant decision against a legit opponent. And Holly showed more skills than ever before mixing in wrestling as she has done on other occasions. If her opponents can't stop her and stay on their feet or get up that's on them. If you find it too boring as a fan, that's on you. The UFC is a mixed martial arts promotion not kickboxing and they are allowed to wrestle, push against the cage or go for takedowns. Holly said even at 38 years old she thinks that she can get back to title contention and I think she might be right.

Why should Holm hang it up? She just won a dominant decision against a legit opponent. And Holly showed more skills than ever before mixing in wrestling as she has done on other occasions. If her opponents can't stop her and stay on their feet or get up that's on them. If you find it too boring as a fan, that's on you. The UFC is a mixed martial arts promotion not kickboxing and they are allowed to wrestle, push against the cage or go for takedowns. Holly said even at 38 years old she thinks that she can get back to title contention and I think she might be right.
I get your point but grappling when you are just holding the person should not be allowed. If I were to make the rules any grappling where the person is clearly stalling should be broken up. 2nd breakup is a warning and third is a point. There is a reason why Ronda was so popular even though she was grappling heavy. All her grappling was meant to lead to an advantageous position where she could sub or inflict more damage. Pearl was released after only 2 fights due to just pushing her opponent against the cage the whole fight.

<IllKillU>

Don't do it, it's going to be a lot of fun, and don't worry about the judges, Maycee will finish her.

You need to change your username, cos clearly you know nothing about WMMA :D

I get your point but grappling when you are just holding the person should not be allowed. If I were to make the rules any grappling where the person is clearly stalling should be broken up. 2nd breakup is a warning and third is a point. There is a reason why Ronda was so popular even though she was grappling heavy. All her grappling was meant to lead to an advantageous position where she could sub or inflict more damage. Pearl was released after only 2 fights due to just pushing her opponent against the cage the whole fight.
Sometimes I want to side with Joe Rogan when he says there shouldn't be any separations or standups since it's on the fighters to make that happen. But given the rules as they are, I wouldn't have a problem if the referee intervened for a separation a little quicker than he did. However there's a fine line where it could be far too much or too quick referee interference and you don't want that either.

Watched the Aldrich vs. Mazo fight a couple more times today and it's a surprisingly good and interesting fight with both fighters running into difficulties and having to make adjustments. Both of them started cautiously with Mazo trying to find the range with jabs & low kicks while JJ circled on the outside and came in & out with punch combos. Neither of them really committed but JJ was landing harder & more cleanly.

2nd round was when Mazo started using her jab offensively and spammed it in JJ's face to setup her punching combos & kicks. The other thing she started doing better was following the retraction of JJ's punches with her own strikes, she didn't wait for JJ's combos to end before countering, as soon as one of JJ's hands started pulling back whether it was the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd punch, Mazo would try to follow it back in with her own strikes as soon as she could even if she got hit a bit more. Aldrich did not like the constant pressure and punches in her face so she started sitting down harder on her punches and putting more power on them to keep Mazo off her. And it worked for a while, until Mazo found the clinch weakness late in the round.

3rd round was Mazo putting it all together, stick the jab in the face to setup punching combos and close the distance, then some good clinch abuse in close and mixing it nicely with low, body, and head kicks along with punching combos. This is what I like to see from fighters, it's not just cranking up the pace & aggression which can work but is kinda dumb, this is making smart adjustments to find & exploit a weakness and then going back and hitting it for all it's worth. At the same time she doesn't get obsessed with getting & holding the clinch and continued using the rest of her tools to keep JJ on the back foot.

Things to work on for Mazo. Head movement. She depends too much on her reach advantage and pulling straight back. Aldrich was able to figure out the distance and step in far enough to consistently punch her in the face. Fortunately heavy punchers in WMMA are rare, but if she runs into one it's trouble. Also, it's MMA and not Muay Thai, she can't be giving away the first round so often.

Overall I really like what she's doing. She has a system for setting up her strikes and makes smart, effective adjustments when things aren't working well. Her punching mechanics & defence needs some cleaning up but she's shown she understands a lot of concepts which most other women haven't come close to figuring out yet.

Roxy is looking JACKED. These non-weight-making chicks pushed her to become physically stronger, and it paid off. So glad she got the win.

I think this is the first time that I'm legit excited for a Bellator card. Only because the dream fight is finally upon us; Budd VS Cyborg. I'm confident that Julia can make it at least competitive if not outright snatch the win. And regardless of who wins, Arlene Blencowe should be next in line for another shot, she's earned it.

Roxy is looking JACKED. These non-weight-making chicks pushed her to become physically stronger, and it paid off. So glad she got the win.

I think this is the first time that I'm legit excited for a Bellator card. Only because the dream fight is finally upon us; Budd VS Cyborg. I'm confident that Julia can make it at least competitive if not outright snatch the win. And regardless of who wins, Arlene Blencowe should be next in line for another shot, she's earned it.
I am excited for this Bellator because we will finally get the answer to the question I have had for years. Did Julia Budd really improve to where she is a top tier fighter or was it her level of competition that made it seem like she did?

Was she though? She butted in and grabbed the mic Kanye style (who TF ever does that) before Roxy could even speak a word of her postfight interview uninvited even after getting her butt kicked and while having only 1 leg to stand on.

Needs further humbling IMO
<Sansa00>

given how out of control maycee's ego was before the fight, i'm surprised that she could conjure up any humility at all (but of course she had to do it in the most egomaniacal way possible). thankfully people are razzing on both her joe rogan for letting that speech happen. here's hoping a few more losses will further develop her humility.

also which of you sherdoggers gave roxy $100???

Roxanne Modafferi says a fan gave her $100 after UFC 246 upset over Maycee Barber

As for Barber, it's not as simple as "she's only 21!"

-Her chin sucks. Like, it's made out of pure glass.
-Physically, she is as evolved as she is going to get, especially since she has already used a large amount of..."supplementation".
-Skill-wise, it's pathetic how little improvement she has made. She was as helpless off her back, for instance, as she was against Mallory Martin back in LFA, her 2nd pro fight. Her defense has barely improved across her fights, too, and she is slower than ever.

All of these mean a lot more limitations than one would normally expect of a 21 year-old fighting at that level.

Her chin looks questionable but she also has a dogshit stance which doesn't allow her to absorb hits without falling on her ass. Not to mention leaving her head hanging straight in the air with no defence. No wonder she gets planted on her ass by fighters like Aldrich and Roxy who aren't exactly known for punching power.

As for her lack of skill progression, she's at Doofus Sport, a camp that sucks balls at teaching fundamentals and bringing fighters along. Combine that with her arrogance, delusion, and success at running her opponents over with her size & strength advantage and you have a recipe for a fighter who fails to learn & improve.

Honestly? I don't feel sorry for her. At all. She's not Megan Anderson bad but it's hard to think of any matchups where I'd cheer for Maycee instead of her opponent.

If she needs the money sure, but she's not going to ever have anything for Amanda at this point and probably anyone who is a strong grappler. AND now she's not even entertaining.

ooof, nasty break - and i'll bet the punches aldrich threw after the snap just knocked it more out of place :oops:

Ouch... Hopefully that heals well and speedily and doesn't turn into exploding hands syndrome.

Also, hehe: "Oh and the next girl that pulls my hair is getting eye poked" :D

I have some things I have to say about the Maycee vs Roxy fight.

I noticed everyone got their panties in a bunch about Maycee saying something into the mic after the fight. Everyone complains about how straight disrespectful it was yet every single fight card both the main event winner and loser says something on the mic and no one bats an eye.

If you thought Maycee saying she allowed Roxy to shine was disrespectful, I disagree. It was the truth. How many fights have Roxy had in the UFC? How many of those fights got her the same amount of attention this one got? This fight was seem by 2 Million live and probably more after the fact. They both trended on social media and Dave Meltzer specially pointed out fighters like Maycee searches were through the roof. Obviously Maycee is not solely responsible for the 2 million live viewers but you have to remember Roxy would not have gotten that spot if she were not fighting Maycee. So while people might not like what Maycee said it was in fact the truth.

So while people might not like what Maycee said it was in fact the truth.

(not you, Barber)

Whatever the "truth" may or may not be, has nothing to do with how Barber conducted herself in there. I didn't really mind, before, outside of Rogan breaking protocol and letting her speak first. But now that you had me thinking about it, yeah, I agree with the Dude =)

(not you, Barber)

Whatever the "truth" may or may not be, has nothing to do with how Barber conducted herself in there. I didn't really mind, before, outside of Rogan breaking protocol and letting her speak first. But now that you had me thinking about it, yeah, I agree with the Dude =)
How good was that movie? I have never seen it but people keep on quoting it so I am guessing its a classic. The only thing I know about it is he wears sweaters and 90% of the time I see a small clip he is in a bowling alley for some reason.

I felt Maycee spoke first because she was in agony from the torn acl. She wasn't thinking clearly, wasn't sure if she was going to pass out or collapse. She was gracious and respectful toward Roxy. Then she was carried out. Roxy was understanding. It only lasted a few seconds.

How good was that movie? I have never seen it but people keep on quoting it so I am guessing its a classic. The only thing I know about it is he wears sweaters and 90% of the time I see a small clip he is in a bowling alley for some reason.

Classic. See The Big Lebowski from start to finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.