Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question for anyone who follows Nicco Montano on social media
has she announced her next fight yet or is she still in hiding after her
weight cut went wrong in Dallas last September.

In ONE Championship news, India’s Puja Tomar defeated Indonesia’s Priscilla Hertati Lumban Gaol by split decision at 115lbs.

This begs the question, if you’re familiar with ONE: is losing to an Indian fighter as bad as losing to someone from Egypt Top Team?

Its close...
Indian fighters have actually won at ONE before. I believe i cant say the same for egyptian fighters.

I got a question for anyone who follows Nicco Montano on social media
has she announced her next fight yet or is she still in hiding after her
weight cut went wrong in Dallas last September.
She has not shown any signs of even thinking about fighting anyone. For this reason, I am glad the UFC stripped her because 125 would have been dead if she was still champ. Quietly 125 has been pretty hot lately. This last card was a mini 125 showcase. Now we have Maycee vs JJ coming up soon. 125 is starting to fulfill its promise as becoming the undisputable second best WMMA division in the UFC. I wonder how much better 125 would have been if we did not waste almost a full year waiting on Nicco.

She has not shown any signs of even thinking about fighting anyone. For this reason, I am glad the UFC stripped her because 125 would have been dead if she was still champ. Quietly 125 has been pretty hot lately. This last card was a mini 125 showcase. Now we have Maycee vs JJ coming up soon. 125 is starting to fulfill its promise as becoming the undisputable second best WMMA division in the UFC. I wonder how much better 125 would have been if we did not waste almost a full year waiting on Nicco.
Would have been the same. The division still needed sorting out.

Lipski vs Calderwood was straight terrible.

You lose on the ground to JoJo, better start over in whitebelt class.

You run your mouth about getting the Style of opponent you’ve been begging for, don’t shoot a takedown as soon as you eat a few punches that you seem completely unable to block.

JoJo still slow and unathletic,

man, when did Jojo piss in your cornflakes?

I think its much more to do with the fact that Jojo is so excited about all the ground stuff shes been doing at Syndicate that she wants to show it off. Shes like a kid with a new toy "look, i can wrestle everyone"

The few punches she seemed unable to block where in the opening 30 seconds, and thats just Jojo. She always starts slow, shes said repeatedly in interviews that its like she needs to get hit to get angry and remind herself that shes in a fight.

And she has ALWAYS been more of a clinch striker than a stand and bang striker, she much prefers clinch work where she can use her elbows and knees, theres a reason her nickname is dr KNEEvil. Come on, you know better than that. Yeh, she can stand up, do spinning shit, but her preference has always been clinch, elbow, knee

Besides, it was pretty clear in the second round that she had Ariane's timing sorted. She was dodging everything Lipski threw and countering, when she needed to maintain distance she was using the teep superbly (Lipski's kicks on the other hand totally ineffective).

She controlled the fight, won comfortably against an opponent most people would blow her away.

Not sure what you have against her, but you really let yourself down with that post.

Lipski looks way smaller under USADA, hand speed still looked pretty good at start of the fight.
n.

looked smaller, and gassed inside 5 minutes.. which was very strange. hopefully it was just nerves and she had an Adrenalin dump

man, when did Jojo piss in your cornflakes?

I think its much more to do with the fact that Jojo is so excited about all the ground stuff shes been doing at Syndicate that she wants to show it off. Shes like a kid with a new toy "look, i can wrestle everyone"

The few punches she seemed unable to block where in the opening 30 seconds, and thats just Jojo. She always starts slow, shes said repeatedly in interviews that its like she needs to get hit to get angry and remind herself that shes in a fight.

And she has ALWAYS been more of a clinch striker than a stand and bang striker, she much prefers clinch work where she can use her elbows and knees, theres a reason her nickname is dr KNEEvil. Come on, you know better than that. Yeh, she can stand up, do spinning shit, but her preference has always been clinch, elbow, knee

Besides, it was pretty clear in the second round that she had Ariane's timing sorted. She was dodging everything Lipski threw and countering, when she needed to maintain distance she was using the teep superbly (Lipski's kicks on the other hand totally ineffective).

She controlled the fight, won comfortably against an opponent most people would blow her away.

Not sure what you have against her, but you really let yourself down with that post.
Nobody calls her Dr. kneevil. That's a lame twitter handle.
I've never been a fan. Not impressed. Oh, she looked good against a can crusher. I guess I should be so fucking impressed. Meanwhile, she still blocks punches with her face. So rad.

The only people who though Lipski would blow her away, are idiots impressed by good looks and can crushing.

They also both gassed hard after the first. Sad. That's why JoJo was able to start avoiding Lipski better, because Lipski was gassed even worse than JoJo, and stopped applying the pressure she is known for. Sad.

Amazing that people can't look past their fandom to see the truth.

To be honest I think that the UFC should have given Lipski an easier opponnent for her debut. A bit weird that you are promoting a fighter that much but you don't try to build her up opponnent-wise..

JoJo ALWAYS starts slowly, and is vulnerable to early pressure. We saw that against Moroz, against Casey, even against Letourneau who she battered she started of hesitant. She always does.

They looked at how Lipski likes to fight, steam forward from the off and Shelby/Maynard obviously thought it was a good matchup for Ariane and she would steamroll through her and get a highlight reel ko against a "UFC Veteran"

JoJo wasnt in on the plan, obviously.

Would have been the same. The division still needed sorting out.
How could it possibly have been the same? Valentina would still be holding out to fight Nicco due to the pay bump she gets while fighting for a championship. Joanna would not have come to 125 when she did since she would not have gotten a title shot. Without the extra unexpected big payday Joanna might not have gotten a boob job. Now with her boob job I doubt she ever goes back to 115 because the cut was hard enough without it. Eye vs Katlyn would not have been a title eliminator.

Without the possibility of getting a title shot Maycee would not have come to 125. Remember her whole thing is to become the youngest champion ever. With Nicco sitting out for extended periods and other title contenders stacking up that would not be possible at 125. In a young division everything revolves around the champion. There is no way the division would have been the same if Nicco was still champion.

How could it possibly have been the same? Valentina would still be holding out to fight Nicco due to the pay bump she gets while fighting for a championship. Joanna would not have come to 125 when she did since she would not have gotten a title shot. Without the extra unexpected big payday Joanna might not have gotten a boob job. Now with her boob job I doubt she ever goes back to 115 because the cut was hard enough without it. Eye vs Katlyn would not have been a title eliminator.

Without the possibility of getting a title shot Maycee would not have come to 125. Remember her whole thing is to become the youngest champion ever. With Nicco sitting out for extended periods and other title contenders stacking up that would not be possible at 125. In a young division everything revolves around the champion. There is no way the division would have been the same if Nicco was still champion.

The division was a mess. It needed sorting from top to bottom, even without the title picture. We had fighters moving down, a few moving up. As it is, it's still a mess, just a smaller mess. Meanwhile, the first title fight after ditching Nicco was between two fighters who were 0-1 in their last two, and 0-2 in their previous title fights.

JoJo ALWAYS starts slowly, and is vulnerable to early pressure. We saw that against Moroz, against Casey, even against Letourneau who she battered she started of hesitant. She always does.

They looked at how Lipski likes to fight, steam forward from the off and Shelby/Maynard obviously thought it was a good matchup for Ariane and she would steamroll through her and get a highlight reel ko against a "UFC Veteran"

JoJo wasnt in on the plan, obviously.

starting slow is no excuse for blocking punches with your face. A lot of fighters start slow. They don't all block punches with their face. Defense is fundamental. Obviously her new fuckbuddy coach hasn't bothered with the basics.

I remember hearing some clamoring for Joanna-JoJo back when 115 was still young. Obviously that died down as Joanna went on a roll and JoJo never got herself into the mix, but how about the matchup at 125? I think stylistically Joanna has the advantage, but the momentum is certainly on JoJo's side right now and I think the fight could be really exciting.

Plus, for all of JoJo's reputation as an inconsistent fighter her only "bad" loss would really be to Moroz; there's no shame in losing to Andrade or GOATvillo IMO.

I say let 'em bang!

starting slow is no excuse for blocking punches with your face. A lot of fighters start slow. They don't all block punches with their face. Defense is fundamental. Obviously her new fuckbuddy coach hasn't bothered with the basics.

im saying thats why they made the matchup

they knew JoJo was vulnerable to fighters who start fast, and they thought Lipski would blitz her and get a quick KO.

thats why they made the matchup, it was meant to be a highlight real quick KO for Ariane.

I'd also like to make a post to congratulate Henry Cejudo on his epic win over the snek.
1f40d.png

Clearly training with Alexa has sharpened up his boxing. ;)

<GrassoBless>

Can Dana or an attorney order Nicco Montano back to work since I could understand
a broken foot & tonsils needing to be removed but if she has no health issues at present
she needs to get back to work or at least make herself available so there is a fighter in
the replacement pool should someone be sick or injured at 125.

I don't think she lost because her kickboxing was Dutch or Thai or Brazilian or Technical or Untechnical though, she got wrestled by NCAA D1 Calderwood in rd1 and appeared drained and discouraged afterwards (hence I just wanted to get back at Jarl's dig ;) ).

We saw Wrestling JoJo in round 1, Kickboxy JoJo in round 2, and BJJ JoJo in round 3 (and she won all three rounds; 10-8 in the first).

Meanwhile we didn't see much from Lipski at all, other than she has competent basic sub defense I guess; oh and a nice head and arm throw in rd 3, couldn't let the fight finish without one of those ;)

I did not say that was why she lost. She lost because she was used to fighting a very low level of competition. Her skills need work in all areas.

Some clown suggested that she would dethrone Shevchenko this year, or some similarly stupid comment. JoJo is improving a bit with each fight. Too bad she is just slower than average, which will always be a problem for her.

Can Dana or an attorney order Nicco Montano back to work since I could understand
a broken foot & tonsils needing to be removed but if she has no health issues at present
she needs to get back to work or at least make herself available so there is a fighter in
the replacement pool should someone be sick or injured at 125.

No. She is an independent contractor, not an employee.

Nobody calls her Dr. kneevil. That's a lame twitter handle.
I've never been a fan. Not impressed. Oh, she looked good against a can crusher. I guess I should be so fucking impressed. Meanwhile, she still blocks punches with her face. So rad.

The only people who though Lipski would blow her away, are idiots impressed by good looks and can crushing.

They also both gassed hard after the first. Sad. That's why JoJo was able to start avoiding Lipski better, because Lipski was gassed even worse than JoJo, and stopped applying the pressure she is known for. Sad.

Amazing that people can't look past their fandom to see the truth.

Lipski has gassed in a previous fight where she lost. Any of the people suggesting extreme skill or ability on the part of Lipski did not include anyone I had ever noted for their technical acumen. In addition to JoJo's issues with just plain being slow - not just starting slow - she has some of the same issues most female strikers have in MMA:

1. Head movement somewhere between bad and dehydrated dog shit.
2. Inability to adjust range in striking combinations (meaning, all strikers are thrown at the same range instead of moving in and out of, say, punching range to clinch/elbow then back out)
3. Bad control of distance (example: Holm vs. Shevchenko)
4. Inability to fight off of the back foot/when pressured.

Note on #2: Yes, there is the occasional single kick with a couple of punches, but very few land effectively. Nunes does this well (example: Nunes-Cyborg) Most combinations show a lack of fluidity, which means follow up shots are often someone capitalizing on a target of opportunity. (there is nothing wrong with this, just that it is different than an actual combination. Witness J. Frey's headkick, left, left KO from a few years ago. She starched the girl, but it was not a trained and executed combination.)

Going to address the utterly stupid USADA comments.

1. Visibly smaller. Really? What are you using as a metric? This is about stupid. Unless you actually have something fixed to judge her by, well, think about it.
2. Any of the substances that actually improve cardio do not add mass (that USADA tests for).
3. If she was smaller, she would have had less mass to move around. This improves things such as VO2 max and cardio in general. Which means she should have had better cardio.

People really need to think about this sometimes. Particularly the wannabe authority who has no education or training in the field and makes glaring mistakes that he runs from acknowledging.

I remember hearing some clamoring for Joanna-JoJo back when 115 was still young. Obviously that died down as Joanna went on a roll and JoJo never got herself into the mix, but how about the matchup at 125? I think stylistically Joanna has the advantage, but the momentum is certainly on JoJo's side right now and I think the fight could be really exciting.

Plus, for all of JoJo's reputation as an inconsistent fighter her only "bad" loss would really be to Moroz; there's no shame in losing to Andrade or GOATvillo IMO.

I say let 'em bang!

JJ by decision, winning every round. JoJo does not have good enough wrestling to take JJ down or at least keep her there if she does, and on the feet she would get slapped around. If KK ever wants to move up, I would like to see her match JoJo.

I say let 'em bang!

Chookagian or Antonina. Let Joanna feast on a shitty grappler so she can have some fun at 125 and get back in her groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.