Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
In ONE Championship news, India’s Puja Tomar defeated Indonesia’s Priscilla Hertati Lumban Gaol by split decision at 115lbs.

This begs the question, if you’re familiar with ONE: is losing to an Indian fighter as bad as losing to someone from Egypt Top Team?

Rachel has lost two winnable fights in a row due to mistakes in grappling exchange.

Someone should tell her to forget BJJ offence on the ground and stick to striking & top control.

Rachel has lost two winnable fights in a row due to mistakes in grappling exchange.

Someone should tell her to forget BJJ offence on the ground and stick to striking & top control.

Lost them in pretty much the same way as well. Got way too enthusiastic and lost position, then had her opponent get back mount and wail away on her before securing the finish. It's kinda sad because she was doing well in both fights before throwing them away with poor decision making.

Two good women's fights tonight Jojo looked amazing ended a hype train.
Rachael had her moments but pvz took that arm.

Lost a huge amount betting on Lipski versus Calderwood. However, that fight was won and lost in preparation. Calderwood improved her previously poor grappling tremendously and had the correct plan for how to beat her opponent.

Lipski prepared horribly, didn't bother learning how to defend a clinch (had she done so, she might have have knocked Calderwood out in round 1), then gassed dreadfully after the first round and was tentative the reminder of the bout, too scared to go forward for fear of being clinched and taken down.

Ergo, the far less skilled, far less talented fighter gets a very well-deserved victory.

I made back a decent amount of money on PVZ vs. Ostovich, though. Even when Ostovich was doing well, I wasn't remotely worried. Say what you will about VanZant, but she is tough, fights hard to the bitter end, and has endless cardio to boot.

Ostovich habitually quits whenever things get bad. Which she did yet again tonight.

It looks like my source was on point. Other Notable fights on the same card are

Randa Markos vs Angela Hill
Alexis Davis vs Jennifer Maia

Shouldn’t the tweet mention that both fighters are moving up, not just Barber?

as much as i wish to think the level of MMA is strong in many parts of the world, as so many fighters before her, Lipski probably should switch to a camp in USA to get to the next level

Someone in the Heavies PBP writes....

i think page has no business at 125, but with her tougness she could be a top 5 115er

<Dany07>

Why is Grasso wasting her time with that? Wrestling is the most over-rated skill in MMA. She should be training Muay Thai.

Jarl

I agree, just ask Lipski

;)

Found it quite hard when Dana included Lipski in his "is Hardy UFC worthy" arguments in the post-fight press conference.
Yeah, that was not the performance that you could have expected from Lipski but you can't really compare this 2.
And Calderwood is no joke, she really seems to have made some improvements and was just a too big step-up in competition. To be honest I think that the UFC should have given Lipski an easier opponnent for her debut. A bit weird that you are promoting a fighter that much but you don't try to build her up opponnent-wise.
Hope that Lipski can get a turn-around and show what she is capable of, having the experience of her first UFC fight, I hope she can make some adjustments in her game and that maybe some pressure has fallen of her.
She really should change camps, but I can imagine that it's not easy when your coach is your boyfriend.

Btw. I also think that USADA had an impact on her performance. I am not saying that she took something prior to the UFC. But for example in KSW you get IV infusions, massages and so on after weighing in and if I am not mistaken IVs and that kind of stuff are not allowed under USADA.

To be honest I think that the UFC should have given Lipski an easier opponnent for her debut. A bit weird that you are promoting a fighter that much but you don't try to build her up opponnent-wise.

I guess UFC underestimated Calderwood - she has a Rank and has been around, so I guess Unca Dana and co. thought that we'll get the cold version of JoJo again instead of the 125 one and that would have nicely pushed Lipski on a win. They gambled for fast success instead of starting slow, and JoJo with her shit together made them lose that bet.

Anyway, I too hope Lipski impresses us next time, rebound from a lower rank and go from there. :)

Found it quite hard when Dana included Lipski in his "is Hardy UFC worthy" arguments in the post-fight press conference.
Yeah, that was not the performance that you could have expected from Lipski but you can't really compare this 2.
And Calderwood is no joke, she really seems to have made some improvements and was just a too big step-up in competition. To be honest I think that the UFC should have given Lipski an easier opponnent for her debut. A bit weird that you are promoting a fighter that much but you don't try to build her up opponnent-wise.
Hope that Lipski can get a turn-around and show what she is capable of, having the experience of her first UFC fight, I hope she can make some adjustments in her game and that maybe some pressure has fallen of her.
She really should change camps, but I can imagine that it's not easy when your coach is your boyfriend.

Btw. I also think that USADA had an impact on her performance. I am not saying that she took something prior to the UFC. But for example in KSW you get IV infusions, massages and so on after weighing in and if I am not mistaken IVs and that kind of stuff are not allowed under USADA.

IV's may not be allowed but the test for them is shit and completely unreliable. And with 24 hour weigh-in, the difference is not that significant if someone has half a brain.

For USADA to have had an impact on her performance, she would have to be using something that actually improved performance.

Of course, fighting real competition has an effect. Lipski is not that sharp technically. I have maintained this for some time and it finally showed.

I agree, just ask Lipski

;)

Point: her style is actually Dutch kickboxing, even if a bunch of people refer to it as Muay Thai (Chute Box same thing). While I am at it, her technique is less than stellar.

It seems as if very few fighters out of Brazil actually have traditional Muay Thai (other than some of the problems that come with a pure MT base, such as shitty to non-existent head movement)

Maybe she needs a new boyfriend coach then.

Just better not make it the same as Calderwood's boyfriend coach (he's no good - just ask Jessy Jess).

Coincidentally, I think it's about time I opened a MMA gym.

(any excuse to post that again :p)

Point: her style is actually Dutch kickboxing, even if a bunch of people refer to it as Muay Thai (Chute Box same thing). While I am at it, her technique is less than stellar.

It seems as if very few fighters out of Brazil actually have traditional Muay Thai (other than some of the problems that come with a pure MT base, such as shitty to non-existent head movement)

I don't think she lost because her kickboxing was Dutch or Thai or Brazilian or Technical or Untechnical though, she got wrestled by NCAA D1 Calderwood in rd1 and appeared drained and discouraged afterwards (hence I just wanted to get back at Jarl's dig ;) ).

We saw Wrestling JoJo in round 1, Kickboxy JoJo in round 2, and BJJ JoJo in round 3 (and she won all three rounds; 10-8 in the first).

Meanwhile we didn't see much from Lipski at all, other than she has competent basic sub defense I guess; oh and a nice head and arm throw in rd 3, couldn't let the fight finish without one of those ;)

I think it's better for Lipski to have bad losses now rather than keep her flaws deep into her career.

Since Shev only lost to lesbians, maybe Lipski should dump her boyfriend then join the lesbian mafia at ATT.

With everything else that went wrong for Dana last night, Lipski almost flies under the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.