Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why Maycee Barber is moving up to flyweight so quickly at this young age, especially when she wants to make a name and earn a title shot so quickly. Her physicality is an assett at strawweight and will be less so against bigger opponents at flyweight I am sure.

Making 115 must have been hell for Barber. Her only amateur fight, when she was 18, was at 135 pounds and she doesn't even look that badly undersized for the class;

She mentioned that she has to be on a 1,000 calorie a day diet "for a long time" to even make 135, and then had to shed another 20 pounds on top of that.

I wonder why Maycee Barber is moving up to flyweight so quickly at this young age, especially when she wants to make a name and earn a title shot so quickly. Her physicality is an assett at strawweight and will be less so against bigger opponents at flyweight I am sure.

She has a history of missing weight, and she will gain more weight in the future as a young fighter.

It's better for her to move up now rather than suffer more from weightcut.

I have the same thoughts about Ilima-Lei Macfarlane. Bellator’s flyweight division is not even close in quality to the UFC—almost every major world ranking has all UFC fighters in the top 15, save for Macfarlane.
Bellator's 125 isn't as good as UFC's 125, but I don't think the gap is as large as it is between UFC and KSW. MacFarlane may very well be the only one on Bellator's roster that would be ranked in the UFC's 125, but I think a few could make a case for fringe top 15 like Val or Velasquez. KSW was literally just bringing in whodafooks to feed Lipski. That being said if somehow the UFC snagged MacFarlane from Bellator I wouldn't rush her into a ranked opponent either; let her crush a can to get situated and see how she stands among the roster.

Because she can’t make strawweight consistently. One time she weighed a full Dern.

Eye and Calderwood aren't exactly facing and defeating solid competition either, though.

Eye's victories are a close decision against Faria, beating a Jessica Rose-Clark who we saw was barely better than PVZ, and a 50/50 decision against Chookagian that myself and half the people watching thought she lost.

Calderwood's victories at 125 are, what? A worse version of the same Letourneau MacFarlane beat as well as Lipski.
Our views on the skill level of both JoJo and Eye are not limited to only their fights at 125. So I am not sure why you are limiting it to just 125. If that was the case Eye would be considered a much better fighter than she is. Her record at 125 is something like 10 - 1. Lets look the records of all the fighters they have fought put together. This will give us a good idea of how good their level of competition was. If your level of competition was good their record should also be good.

Jessica
Pre UFC = 85 Wins - 70 Losses
In UFC = 134 Wins - 52 Losses
Total = 219 Wins - 122 Losses

ilima
Pre Bellator = 0 Wins - 3 Losses
In Bellator = 40 Wins - 33 Losses
Total = 40 Wins - 36 Losses

JoJo
Pre UFC = 44 Wins - 29 Losses
In UFC = 95 Wins - 43 Losses
Total = 139 Wins - 72 Losses

With respect to Lipski: as I have been saying, she has to sharpen all of her striking skills. As previously mentioned, she did well via speed and strength via sub-par competition. Grappling wise the only thing that she did that stood out was her sub-defense, and that was limited to end-position defense. Her top control was weak, so was her guard and she kept losing position to a poor grappler. Her TDD was weak, her clinch game poor (bad hips and terrible angle using knee-shield, etc.).

Thanks. I'll watch again & keep those things in mind.

Bellator's 125 isn't as good as UFC's 125, but I don't think the gap is as large as it is between UFC and KSW. MacFarlane may very well be the only one on Bellator's roster that would be ranked in the UFC's 125, but I think a few could make a case for fringe top 15 like Val or Velasquez. KSW was literally just bringing in whodafooks to feed Lipski. That being said if somehow the UFC snagged MacFarlane from Bellator I wouldn't rush her into a ranked opponent either; let her crush a can to get situated and see how she stands among the roster.

Whodafooks is overrated. :)

UFC matchmakers are sniffing glue again. Maia just lost to Carmouche, so we'll match her up against a higher ranked opponent who recently beat Carmouche. What is this, the Holly Holm model where you lose your way up the rankings to a championship fight?

1.The road to the FLW title is probably quicker
2. She won't have to kill herself to make weight. Look at JJ and JoJo. They started out as FLW's but fucked their bodies up cutting for SW. Now they're physically outmatched at FLW.
3. Barber is pretty god damn big. I don't think she'll be undersized. She should have been fighting at 125 anyway.

What a weird fight to book. A win doesn't do much for Davis, and it seems like a difficult bounce-back fight for Maia. Sure, if she wins she's back in it, but I dunno...

I agree. I wish the UFC could sign McFarlene but Coker would probably overpay to retain her. She’s one of the few homegrown Bellator stars. She actually brings in viewers.

Are you serious? That's like a no-win matchup, if Joanna wins she kills off a contender and if Suarez takes it then Joanna's name value is pretty much done. This is how you kill the long term sustainability of a division. Hopefully Joanna told them she's staying at 125 and will only take fights in that division.

Yep totally serious and confirmed by Tatiana and Joanna themselves. Got to fill those cards and to hell with the long term I guess. Joanna turned them down, hopefully if she sticks around she'll follow the Nunes example, you know - pull out if she's not 100%, not get rushed into taking fights.

yeah, thats the way they should have done it with Lipski too. although Dana on saturday liked to say that he "throws the kitchen at you when you come to the UFC"

yeah, thats the way they should have done it with Lipski too. although Dana on saturday liked to say that he "throws the kitchen at you when you come to the UFC"
it's called fap matchmaking just like PvZ-Rachel, road to nowhere.
they made Hardy co-main, UFC is not serious these days.
Cerrone has fought "young talent" and all he needed : 3 minutes to gather data and then finish him...
and let me ignore main event...

Congratulations, you're a dumbass who didn't watch the fight and thinks that all strikes are equal. They're not. JoJo loses all rounds on striking alone unless you're using Cecil Peoples scoring where punches don't count. With the exception of a couple knees, all Calderwood did was land a bunch of weak slappy kicks that barely made contact while Calvillo was landing clean punches, snapping JoJo's head around, and knocking her back on her heels. As much as I dislike her, all 3 rounds were clear wins for Calvillo.

And yes i did watch it, more than once

75% of people had JC winning round two so go be rude to them as well

Jesus, this thread us nearly as much of a cesspool as the heavies. Politeness gone out of the window

What an absolutely embarrassing post. I've seen some people claim that Calderwood won round 2, yes, although I strongly disagree. But to claim that Calderwood "controlled standing" in rounds 1 and 3 and Calvillo only "stole" each round with a takedown is biased idiocy. Calvillo boxed her ears off. Calderwood occasionally landing some weak, technically flawed kicks that glanced off the side of Calvillo's quads or shoulders does not supercede Calvillo repeatedly punching Calderwood in the face.

Lol whatever

And yes i did watch it, more than once

75% of people had JC winning round two so go be rude to them as well

Jesus, this thread us nearly as much of a cesspool as the heavies. Politeness gone out of the window

Argumentum ad numerum. Or ad populum, if you will. However many people believe a thing does not make it true. Again, your utter lack of logic is amazing. How many people said Cyborg was the female GOAT and "best striker in WMMA" and other false statements?

This fallacy can be expanded to pretty much every question ever in the history of humanity. You are not just wrong, your fallacy is as commonplace as it gets. There is no pride in being part of a hive mind.

What a weird fight to book. A win doesn't do much for Davis, and it seems like a difficult bounce-back fight for Maia. Sure, if she wins she's back in it, but I dunno...
I think you're underselling what a great win Maia will be for Davis alot here. Rankings don't matter much in women's flyweight still, sure the Carmouche loss was big hit to Maia's reputation BUT she's still one fight removed from being considered the best 125 fighter in the world and an Invicta champion. Davis also needs a rebound win too after her inability to do anything vs Chookagian letting herself point fought into easy loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.