Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
@leto1776

What's the viewing situation for ONE? With the shit they're doing recently, plus Garry Tonan (and eventually Gordon Ryan) I'm gonna have to start paying attention.
They’re moving to BR live, or whatever it’s called, through TNT. They’re once again behind a pay wall.

They’re moving to BR live, or whatever it’s called, through TNT. They’re once again behind a pay wall.
Figures. Haha... oh well... I'll have to keep tabs still..... They've got a much better shot at getting my money then ESPN. haha.

Thanks.

Being serious what is Joanna Jedrzejczyk's contract status with UFC since
I would love to see her sign with Invicta do to having a recognizable name
and she would be the type of fighter that Shannon Knapp wants do to never
calling in sick or missing weight.

That would make no sense. Unless you are an atomweight Invicta is pretty much a developmental feeder league for the UFC. Invicta signing Joanna from the UFC would be like the Chicago Blackhawks sending Patrick Kane down to their AHL affiliate to give them a "recognizable name".

If Joanna signed with ONE it'd be because they offered her wheelbarrows full of money.

The idea of her signing with Invicta and fighting for $5000 to lose to Virna Jandiroba in front of 20 people in Kansas is just not something that would even cross my mind...

...unless you know any zillionaire oligarchs who want to 'invest' in Invicta...

Last edited:
  • Saturday 01.19.2019 at 10:00 PM ET (prelims start at 8 ET)
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+ | Prelims: ESPN
  • Name: UFC on ESPN+ 1: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Night Brooklyn
  • Venue: Barclays Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • Number of MMA Bouts: 13
Here's my half-assed pontifications. :)

PVZ vs. Ostovich. Both fighters can do a few things okay but can get sloppy really quick. Hoping for significant improvements from both since it's a big stage. This is a hope not an expectation. Paige and Rachel juggle stresses ranging from social media to personal lives to inordinate pressures from fans and the UFC to increase popularity aside from training and fighting. Rachel's pretty good when she's doing well but she rarely controls the tempo. When she gets in some trouble things go downhill fast. Paige is more than willing to use her athleticism with spin kicks, entertaining moves & anything that might give her a better possibility of gaining a dramatic advantage. I like her toughness & athleticism. PVZ.

Calderwood vs. Lipski. Many posters really like JoJo which is fine. She says she does everything better than Ariane. We shall see. In the octagon she often looks kind of scattered. For example in her last fight she was getting dominated until she pulled off a submission from below that seemed like an afterthought. If she gets this victory I'll take more notice. Lipski looked strong and fast with KSW. Love her aggressiveness, laser like focus and ability / desire to finish fights. Really like her hand speed, her overhand right and her bjj. We'll see what she does on a bigger platform against better competition. Lipski.

Look forward to hearing anyone else's thoughts.

Last edited:
Figures. Haha... oh well... I'll have to keep tabs still..... They've got a much better shot at getting my money then ESPN. haha.

Thanks.

'Paywall' should be word of the year of 2019 for MMA. Until the suits learn that multiple paywalls won't attract more viewers we'll all suffer the consequences.Increase accessibility to the public. Get money solely from advertisers. Make available to viewers for free. On one platform not two or three.

Video game corporations are suffering the consequences of treating their fan base poorly. Charge 60 bucks for a game but you don't get the entire game. More fees for micro transactions. The disaster of Fallout 76 is a good case study. Its publisher Take Two Interactive has lost 50% of its stock value since its release a few months ago. Meanwhile Steam and Valve are doing well because once you buy it that's it. They don't play that numbah one booshit game of nickle and diming consumers.

Last edited:
You know how Webster's always chooses a word of the year? 'Paywall' should be word of the year of 2019 for MMA. Until the suits learn that multiple paywalls won't attract more viewers for them they can fuck themselves.

Increase accessibility to the public. Get money solely from advertisers. Make available to viewers for free. Otherwise they are nickle and diming themselves into narrower base of viewers.

Video game manufacturers like Bethesda and Electronic Arts are suffering the consequences of ignoring their fan base. Charge 60 bucks for a game but you don't get the entire game. They charge more for downloadable content. The disaster of Fallout 76 is a good case study. Its publisher Take Two Interactive has lost 50% of its stock value since its release a few months ago. MMA promoters should consider it because most of the public don't have time for this numbah one booshit.
The good thing about DAZN is multiple promotions in one. Fight Pass offers this to a much lesser extent, as well, but their live mma content is going down hill fast thanks to the ESPN deal.

PVZ vs. Ostovich. Both fighters can do a few things okay but can get sloppy really quick. Hoping for significant improvements from both since it's a big stage. This is a hope not an expectation. Paige and Rachel juggle stresses ranging from social media to personal lives to inordinate pressures from fans and the UFC to increase popularity aside from training and fighting. Rachel's pretty good when she's doing well but she rarely controls the tempo. When she gets in some trouble things go downhill fast. Paige is more than willing to use her athleticism with spin kicks, entertaining moves & anything that might give her a better possibility of gaining a dramatic advantage. I like her toughness & athleticism. PVZ.

Calderwood vs. Lipski. Many posters really like JoJo which is fine. She says she does everything better than Ariane. We shall see. In the octagon she often looks kind of scattered. For example in her last fight she was getting dominated until she pulled off a submission from below that seemed like an afterthought. If she gets this victory I'll take more notice. Lipski looked strong and fast with KSW. Love her aggressiveness, laser like focus and ability / desire to finish fights. Really like her hand speed, her overhand right and her bjj. We'll see what she does on a bigger platform against better competition. Lipski.

Agree with you on PVZ/Ostovich. Neither displays much in the way of fight IQ, so anything could happen. Calderwood does not start as slow any more but Lipski is faster. JoJo has better step knees and clinch game, Lipski is a better athlete whose standup technique is not quite as sharp. She appears better on the ground but has fought lower levels of competition in MMA.

Agree with you on PVZ/Ostovich. Neither displays much in the way of fight IQ, so anything could happen. Calderwood does not start as slow any more but Lipski is faster. JoJo has better step knees and clinch game, Lipski is a better athlete whose standup technique is not quite as sharp. She appears better on the ground but has fought lower levels of competition in MMA.
I always wonder what happened to the old PVZ. She used to know what her strengths were. She would constantly pressure you and tire you out in the clinch against the cage then she took over. Now she throws crazy kicks and spinning attacks with the hope that one magically lands. One did happen to land against Bec Rawlings but then again that is Bec Rawlings.

I always wonder what happened to the old PVZ. She used to know what her strengths were. She would constantly pressure you and tire you out in the clinch against the cage then she took over. Now she throws crazy kicks and spinning attacks with the hope that one magically lands. One did happen to land against Bec Rawlings but then again that is Bec Rawlings.
That was what did it. Her coaches told her to cut it out between rounds. She did it anyway, it worked, so in her mind that’s the key.

That was what did it. Her coaches told her to cut it out between rounds. She did it anyway, it worked, so in her mind that’s the key.

This. Plus she is a better athlete than she is a fighter. More concerned with being famous than being a great fighter. So a key element of discipline and/or focus is not there.

PVZ vs. Ostovich. Both fighters can do a few things okay but can get sloppy really quick. Hoping for significant improvements from both since it's a big stage. This is a hope not an expectation. Paige and Rachel juggle stresses ranging from social media to personal lives to inordinate pressures from fans and the UFC to increase popularity aside from training and fighting. Rachel's pretty good when she's doing well but she rarely controls the tempo. When she gets in some trouble things go downhill fast. Paige is more than willing to use her athleticism with spin kicks, entertaining moves & anything that might give her a better possibility of gaining a dramatic advantage. I like her toughness & athleticism. PVZ.... Look forward to hearing anyone else's thoughts.
My money is on PVZ. Rachael is a .500 fighter that can dominate and sometimes submit lesser opponents while PVZ has fought tougher opponents at strawweight than Rachael has at flyweight. Paige moving up in weight and her sometimes questionable fight IQ is a bit of a concern, but she's reasonably skilled, tough and has heart so I think that will be enough to beat Ostovich.

She used to be with team Alphafail so she could at least do some clinch work and sloppy wrestling, but she's been training in some podunk camp in Oregon for the last while so it's not surprising that she has no clue at all what she's doing. She never had any fundamentals to begin with so she's become more reliant on her athleticism & toughness along with throwing shit at a wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Paige is a very sad case of wasted potential, Alphafail pretty much treated her as a pretty plaything and her current team is completely lacking in guidance & direction of any sort. With good training & dedication I think she could be a lot closer to Nina Ansaroff for example than where she is now.

PVZ vs. Ostavich: I think you are spot-on with this prediction. I will be cheering for Rachel, but I think PVZ will win. Ostavich has more power, but she tends to give up easily when she gets in trouble or gets hurt. PVZ is definitely more creative and has more "heart". Given that everything else is pretty much a wash between these two, that gives PVZ an edge.

Calderwood vs. Lipski: I agree with you here. Calderwood is going to have to put her money where her mouth is on this one. Everyone knows she has the better resume and we haven't seen Lipsksi beat anyone really good. But, we also know that Calderwood is a slow starter...and the Violence Queen has earned that nickname. Still, I don't think either fighter will try a takedown and they'll stand and bang; and this usually plays into Jojo's strengths. I've really been going back and forth on this one...I guess I'll go with Lipski because it seems like whenever you have "overconfident veteran" vs. "bloodthirsty up-n-comer making her debut", the former gets destroyed.

Jarl

Disappointed with one of my favorites right now. Pertinent part in bold. http://roadfc.co.kr/main/news/news_view.php?key=JTI1MjUzREl6TTBJVE0=

'World rankings first' Ham, Sei-hee recovering after surgery ... Looking forward to 2019

%25ED%2595%25A8%25EC%2584%259C%25ED%259D%25AC2.JPG

"I want to play a lot of Korean players"

On Dec. 15, last year, ROAD FC Atom-class champ Ham seo hee (32, Team Mad) won the world championship second defense. The game was a game in which Ham Seo-hee returned from injury in about a year. Ham Seo-hee's first career match was also a match against a Korean player. Ham, Seo-hee became the champion of the second defense of the ROAD FC female fighter for the first time, defeating 'Monster Wolf' Park Jeong-eun (23, Team Strong Wolf).

Even if I won, Ham Seo-hee's face was not bright. There was a lot of regrets.

"I won the result but I was not satisfied. I did not come out as much as I thought, "he said.

%25ED%2595%25A8%25EC%2584%259C%25ED%259D%25AC%2B%25EC%2588%2598%25EC%2588%25A01.jpg

After the game, Ham So - hee attended the team 's year - end party in Busan and spent the end of the year. Removing the pins in the injured arm, now only waiting for the day to fully recover.

"I have recently undergone surgery to remove pins on the injured arm. I do not know exactly how long it will take to recover. I do not think I'm going to stop my work because I can not use my hands but the other places are fine. "

It is hard for an athlete to take a break from the exercise, so it may seem obvious to him, but he felt a little more shaky than usual. When Ham Seo-hee asked me what he wanted to say to me in 2019,

%25ED%2595%25A8%25EC%2584%259C%25ED%259D%25AC1.JPG

"I work hard when I exercise, and when I want to relax, it is a style of rest. Each athlete has different style, but I enjoy it. If you want to play in 2019, I want to work out constantly to make the best condition and match. In 2019, Ham Sai-hee needs steadiness. "

Ham Saseye, who has been in the top spot, said this because the idea has changed.

Ham Sai-hee said, "I had a year-long recess last year and had a lot of disappointments after a long absence. I have a lot to supplement, but I want to go out in preparation for the competition in the future when I am in perfect condition. I did not originally think that I wanted to do a lot of matches with Korean players. The speed with which juniors grow is scary. I think it is better to play with Korean players than to bring players from abroad. I want to go to the cage perfectly prepared, "he said.

In 2019, Ham Sai-hee is committed to upgrading his existing skills even further. It is expected to be what HamSeoHi, who has been leading the Korean women's martial arts, will look at when she climbs to the cage in perfect condition.

I Sincerely hope this is just something Road FC has her saying. I hope it's not her losing confidence in herself. I get that she sees herself as the fighter this new generation of Korean females looks up to, but they're not progressing that fast. Certainly not world class tier. Park matched up with Ham very well. I said myself a few times that if she survived the first round, Park would make it a good fight. I also hope that the injury didn't affect her confidence, as Ham had never been seriously injured from fighting before.

A part of me thinks it's Road encouraging her to say this, because talking to someone in the mma media with strong ties to the Korean scene, things aren't going as well for Road as they were in 2017.

She used to be with team Alphafail so she could at least do some clinch work and sloppy wrestling, but she's been training in some podunk camp in Oregon for the last while so it's not surprising that she has no clue at all what she's doing. She never had any fundamentals to begin with so she's become more reliant on her athleticism & toughness along with throwing shit at a wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Paige is a very sad case of wasted potential, Alphafail pretty much treated her as a pretty plaything and her current team is completely lacking in guidance & direction of any sort. With good training & dedication I think she could be a lot closer to Nina Ansaroff for example than where she is now.
Paige is training at Gracie Barra Portland under Fabiano Scherner and has some good pro training partners. Looks like she is taking the fight camp seriously judging by her Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.