• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Davis vs. Martin 6/15 8PM ET (PBC on Prime PPV)

martin looked really good for 5 rounds. i had him ahead 5-2 before the KO, but davis is just brilliant at figuring guys out and walking them into a big shot. that's the only thing he has in common with floyd, reading his opponents and catching their timing.

another spectacular KO. i wish shakur grew a pair and fought him, though. that would be fun.

benavidez looked good in the first half, but gvozdyk did better than expected late. i had him winning the last 4 rounds, and i maintain that if he wasn't 37 years old he'd have beaten the snot out of david. still, the mexican monster wins by a comfortable margin, and his defense looked a lot better this time. he actually moved his head and applied intelligent pressure, as opposed to his usual plodding style.

beterbiev probably kills him, though.

Hmmmm… Can’t tell if sarcasm or not…

Either way, Cruz was old and hadn’t been a p4p listed fighter (if he ever was) since losing to Frampton years before. Not to mention I don’t think he’d ever fought at that weight before from memory. I’m pretty sure that was his first and only fight at that weight wasn’t it? He made his name at bantam and super bantam. Lost to Tank then retired.
Its only took a quick check on boxrec dude to see that Tank fought Leo at his Leo's optimum weight, he defended his championship like 7 times there.

FWIW - All 3 judges apparently had Tank 4-3 at time of KO, which I thought made sense and was the obvious scorecard.

"All three judges had Davis ahead 67-66 on the scorecards at the time of stoppage. Martin actually swept the first three rounds, but it was all Davis the rest of the way."

sauce

martin looked really good for 5 rounds. i had him ahead 5-2 before the KO, but davis is just brilliant at figuring guys out and walking them into a big shot. that's the only thing he has in common with floyd, reading his opponents and catching their timing.

another spectacular KO. i wish shakur grew a pair and fought him, though. that would be fun.

benavidez looked good in the first half, but gvozdyk did better than expected late. i had him winning the last 4 rounds, and i maintain that if he wasn't 37 years old he'd have beaten the snot out of david. still, the mexican monster wins by a comfortable margin, and his defense looked a lot better this time. he actually moved his head and applied intelligent pressure, as opposed to his usual plodding style.

beterbiev probably kills him, though.
Everyone looks good against Davis for a few rounds.

Benavidez looked weird at 175, kind of odd to see a guy who looks so big at 168 look like a weird scrawny beanpole at 175.
------------

Kind of a shit ass PPV, this was. Tank vs a former sparring partner. Amazon is going to have to put together better fights than this.

Are we really shitting on that Benavidez performance? Guy looked sensational. Only his power worried me. Couldn’t miss for 8 rounds but couldn’t get 37 yr old Nail outta there. The extra rounds were good for him though. Best Benavidez performance yet, finally seeing the guy I thought he was gonna be.

Are we really shitting on that Benavidez performance? Guy looked sensational. Only his power worried me. Couldn’t miss for 8 rounds but couldn’t get 37 yr old Nail outta there. The extra rounds were good for him though. Best Benavidez performance yet, finally seeing the guy I thought he was gonna be.

Didn't you know? Unless he showed that he could be favored against BeterVol here, he was bound to be a profound disappointment.

Realistically, it was a good but not great performance. As David said, 7/10 is right. I think he was having more success than anticipated in the early rounds and then started hunting for the KO, got gassed, and let Gvozdyk back in the fight--which, due to the recency bias, is always a worse optics than starting poorly and finishing strong.

Gvozdyk also deserves much more credit than he is being given here.

Thought Benavidez would absolutely batter Gvozdyk tbh, he’s not the same guy that some folks picked to beat Beterbiev.

He hadn’t fought anybody worth a fuck since losing, then retiring around 5 years ago.

It’s not irrational hate taking that into consideration.

Gvozdyk came to go the distance and not get KO'ed he didn't come to win at all.
How long do you think last night's version of Gvozdyk would've lasted against Beterbiev? I actually think Yarde would've stopped Gvozdyk last night. David ain't ready for 175, at all lol.

How long do you think last night's version of Gvozdyk would've lasted against Beterbiev? I actually think Yarde would've stopped Gvozdyk last night. David ain't ready for 175, at all lol.
A couple rounds at best. Not throwing anything with real commitment or power and just pawing the whole night, there is no way he would of been able to keep Biev from onslaughting him easy.

I dont want to be too hard on Benavidez because he dominated that fight & looked great offensively at times until he gassed. Hand speed was ridiculous. Mixing it up to the body and head to where he was masking it beautifully. Throwing bombs and thudding power shots. He was going for the kill.

However, his power just didn't seem to translate to hurting or damaging a 175lber. I was also in great shape but still gassed kind of bad, even though he didn't face a lot of meaningful offense from Gvozdyk. I dont want to say he can't be a champ at 175. I just don't see him on the level of Bivol or Biev yet at this much different weight.
I think that's why after the fight he wanted to go back to 168 next outing. If he looked like the killer he was at 168 he would be saying forget Canelo & push for the winner of Bivol Biev.

He did look like he was sparring last night. Thing is, he didn’t start out that way, he came as strong as he could in the opening round and Benavidez just walked him down. I don’t know if Gvozdyk just knew what his job was last night or if he basically non verbally agreed to not try so Benavidez wouldn’t pursue the KO so aggressive, you know, “ the agreement” by teddy atlas lol

Everyone looks good against Davis for a few rounds.

Benavidez looked weird at 175, kind of odd to see a guy who looks so big at 168 look like a weird scrawny beanpole at 175.
yeah i agree. even when losing rounds, davis looks fucking scary. he is ridiculously fast and those shots carry some serious weight. it's either going to take a brilliant technician who can make him miss for 12, or one with an iron chin. i doubt there's anyone who can just go toe to toe with him and win there.

who's next for benavidez at 175? the winner of beterbiev bivol? i think both outclass him.

that's so edgy i cut myself just reading it.
probably not your first time given how much you've cried about ryan.

haney should have called off the fight if he didn't want to do it, he agreed to the 143-pound catchweight and suffered the consequences. 3 pounds isn't the reason haney got bludgeoned.

Back