Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

Beat the Khan Maykr tonight. Thought it was probably the easiest boss fight relatively speaking. Just used homing rockets to bring down her shield. The only hard thing was just how quickly her shield could regenerate if you didn’t keep the pressure on her.

Will try to finish the game later this weekend. Made it to the second check point so far in Final Sin.

Urdak is beautiful. The jump rings are brutal tho

The jump rings there are the only time when jumping began to annoy me in the game
Are there more after the Khan Maykr? Because I didn't have any issue with the jump rings in that level whatsoever. Yet I am stuck on the boss that everyone else seems to have steamrolled, lol.
Going to try to finish Eternal tonight. And, I would not have thought this when I started, but...I think I like D16 better. I even went back and played a bit today, and the combat just feels better to me. The devs always referred to it as "push forward combat", and that's exactly what it feels like. I always feel like I am constantly pushing forward and barreling towards the enemies. In Eternal, I always feel like I am running away, or skirting around the edges of the encounter. In D16, I feel like I am chasing the enemies, and in Eternal, they are chasing me. Both approaches have their upsides, but I think I like the former more. It doesn't help that Eternal is freaking hard, and I'm not any good at games, lol.

Are there more after the Khan Maykr? Because I didn't have any issue with the jump rings in that level whatsoever. Yet I am stuck on the boss that everyone else seems to have steamrolled, lol.
Going to try to finish Eternal tonight. And, I would not have thought this when I started, but...I think I like D16 better. I even went back and played a bit today, and the combat just feels better to me. The devs always referred to it as "push forward combat", and that's exactly what it feels like. I always feel like I am constantly pushing forward and barreling towards the enemies. In Eternal, I always feel like I am running away, or skirting around the edges of the encounter. In D16, I feel like I am chasing the enemies, and in Eternal, they are chasing me. Both approaches have their upsides, but I think I like the former more. It doesn't help that Eternal is freaking hard, and I'm not any good at games, lol.
Nah after the makyr i think thats it for the rings IIRC

Doom Eternal isnt that hard...everyone i know who has the game has finished it. Maybe its challenging but its one of those games thats too good to not finish.

Negatory, that's the last of them and that world.

I'll hop on ol' 2016 sometime, I wanna see how it feels after Eternal. The devs are surely paying attention to people's comments, I'm curious what changes they make going forward. I have a feeling they'll balance things more down the line, smooth out the rough edges and hopefully throw in some more traditional multiplayer

Got through the Kahn Maykr fight. What made the difference for me was basically quick-scoping the headshots on the drones. I think you get a bit of lock on there, and that was enough.
Edit:
Finished the game. Man, that final boss fight was fun as hell. When this game is good, it is sooooo damn good. In the last level, I had to fight a couple Marauders in the middle of a big battle, and it is so much more fun fighting them that way, rather than clearing everyone else out and going through their flowchart one on one.
I know that Doom 2016 vs. Doom Eternal is hotly contested amongst the fans, but I think we can all agree that '16 is the clear winner in one department: the end credits. Probably the best credits sequence I have ever seen. High energy, funny as hell, and they took the time to set up little scenes relevant to the different departments.

I was looking forward to something like that in Eternal, but no such luck.

Last edited:
Well I finally beat the game last night. I found the final boss fight a little underwhelming to be honest, though I’m not really sure why. I mean at the end of the day it delivered on an Icon of Sin that can actually fight. I don’t know, it felt a bit too easy maybe. I never felt terribly overwhelmed by the enemies it was spawning, probably because of all the crucible thingies, but it wasn’t like the original Icon of Sin in Doom 2 where you were racing against the clock because it would just keep spawning enemies and if you didn’t get the job done in say 5 minutes you’d probably be fucked, where as this fight seemed to just go on and on.

Got through the Kahn Maykr fight. What made the difference for me was basically quick-scoping the headshots on the drones. I think you get a bit of lock on there, and that was enough.
Edit:
Finished the game. Man, that final boss fight was fun as hell. When this game is good, it is sooooo damn good. In the last level, I had to fight a couple Marauders in the middle of a big battle, and it is so much more fun fighting them that way, rather than clearing everyone else out and going through their flowchart one on one.
I know that Doom 2016 vs. Doom Eternal is hotly contested amongst the fans, but I think we can all agree that '16 is the clear winner in one department: the end credits. Probably the best credits sequence I have ever seen. High energy, funny as hell, and they took the time to set up little scenes relevant to the different departments.

I was looking forward to something like that in Eternal, but no such luck.

Did you see the post-credit scene for Eternal? That was pretty funny.

Well I finally beat the game last night. I found the final boss fight a little underwhelming to be honest, though I’m not really sure why. I mean at the end of the day it delivered on an Icon of Sin that can actually fight. I don’t know, it felt a bit too easy maybe. I never felt terribly overwhelmed by the enemies it was spawning, probably because of all the crucible thingies, but it wasn’t like the original Icon of Sin in Doom 2 where you were racing against the clock because it would just keep spawning enemies and if you didn’t get the job done in say 5 minutes you’d probably be fucked, where as this fight seemed to just go on and on.
A timer could have definiltey heightened the drama of that stage. I still enjoyed it. It was more fun than hard cos you get all that crucible ammo

Alright, looks like the thread is finally winding down. Here's some of my hot takes:
  • I hate the Baron of Hell recolor. He looks bland and boring as hell (ha), and in the bigger battles I would sometimes confuse him for the Dread Knight from a distance. All the bright and vibrant colors on display, and this guy is just gray. Do the Barons even throw projectiles here? If so, I never even noticed.
  • The aesthetics on the levels peaked super early on the Cultist Base. The later levels looked nice and all, but they felt more grounded, like D16, and nothing really lived up to the sense of scale here.
  • Hugo Martin was so adamant that he was disappointed that they made this arsenal in D16 and everyone just wanted to use the super shotgun. So, what do they do for Eternal? Attach a badass grappling hook to the thing. I used it more than ever!
  • I love the meat hook, but I wish it was just a standalone tool not tied to a specific weapon. Then I think we would have seen levels and encounters more geared towards it.
  • Will someone explain the weapon design to me? I feel like I am missing something. Why are there two shotguns that use the same ammo? Why are there two machine guns that use the same ammo? I know the alt fires are different, but I don't think they do enough to differentiate between them. Does anyone use the regular shotgun, aside from the sticky grenade? Why not just make it a grenade launcher? If the heavy cannon is supposed to be the precision weapon, why not make it shoot a bit slower? Maybe a three shot burst.
  • I've got to replay this game.

Alright, looks like the thread is finally winding down. Here's some of my hot takes:
  • I hate the Baron of Hell recolor. He looks bland and boring as hell (ha), and in the bigger battles I would sometimes confuse him for the Dread Knight from a distance. All the bright and vibrant colors on display, and this guy is just gray. Do the Barons even throw projectiles here? If so, I never even noticed.
  • The aesthetics on the levels peaked super early on the Cultist Base. The later levels looked nice and all, but they felt more grounded, like D16, and nothing really lived up to the sense of scale here.
  • Hugo Martin was so adamant that he was disappointed that they made this arsenal in D16 and everyone just wanted to use the super shotgun. So, what do they do for Eternal? Attach a badass grappling hook to the thing. I used it more than ever!
  • I love the meat hook, but I wish it was just a standalone tool not tied to a specific weapon. Then I think we would have seen levels and encounters more geared towards it.
  • Will someone explain the weapon design to me? I feel like I am missing something. Why are there two shotguns that use the same ammo? Why are there two machine guns that use the same ammo? I know the alt fires are different, but I don't think they do enough to differentiate between them. Does anyone use the regular shotgun, aside from the sticky grenade? Why not just make it a grenade launcher? If the heavy cannon is supposed to be the precision weapon, why not make it shoot a bit slower? Maybe a three shot burst.
  • I've got to replay this game.

Agreed on both the Baron and the super shotgun. 2016 Baron was badass, didn’t like the new one. And yeah, the super shotgun was all I used especially once the meat hook got the flame upgrade for keeping my armour going.

Regarding the ammo the original Doom worked that way. Plasma rifle and BFG shared ammo, pistol and chain gun shared ammo, shotgun and super shotgun shared ammo.

Ok this game sucks dick. Final verdict. Its repetitive and boring. Doing the same fucking room with the same fucking enemies ad nauseam. And they give tons of hp back if you fail a glory kill which is retarded. I've been trying my best to finish this but its becoming a huge chore to play.
Thats how I felt about the 2016 game. This one sucked me in though. Not even sure why.

I hope nobody here got this on pc...

playing on PS4 but what are you talking about?
Seeing a lot of shit on Twitter about how the latest update is a massive security risk to your computer, corrupts saves, and possibly even fucks up your PC.

Seeing a lot of shit on Twitter about how the latest update is a massive security risk to your computer, corrupts saves, and possibly even fucks up your PC.
Finished it and uninstalled it last week! I'll have to check that out though. Patches for the game have been very sparse, so I'm surprised they botched it upon finally releasing it.

Wow, yeah. Look, I'm glad devs generally are trying to tackle hackers on PC because it's a significant problem; but this type of anti-cheat software needs to be 1) relegated purely to multi-player and 2) come with a disclaimer.

Id/Bethesda should just make the multi-player into a separate executable/install if they're going to try something like this. Or better yet, implement it into an upcoming game and give players advance notice instead of patching it into a game.

Apparently this Denuvo Anti-Cheat runs at the highest priority level in the OS and is causing all sorts of issues. Honestly, if this is the only solution then it should be something that gets implemented by Microsoft. They're already pushing gaming features inside Windows 10, and even though MS isn't infallible I trust them a lot more than a third party company like Denuvo (whose reputation only seems to keep getting worse).

I decided to try Doom (2016) out, and am loving the combat so far. The furious pace can be quite difficult and it is quite easy to die when reckless. One thing I don't like is that some of the suit upgrades seem superfluous. I hope Eternal has made better upgrades. There isn't really anything out right now, so playing Doom and then Eternal is an awesome way to have fun.

Thinking about getting the season pass bundle for Eternal, seeing as how I missed most things on Doom.

Day of patch release i stopped the anti-cheat installer from completing on initial launch. For i never heard of this anti-cheat before. Then i uninstalled the game. Dont understand id software forcing a anti-cheat client in a single player game.

Day of patch release i stopped the anti-cheat installer from completing on initial launch. For i never heard of this anti-cheat before. Then i uninstalled the game. Dont understand id software forcing a anti-cheat client in a single player game.

Because the game does have a multiplayer mode, just not a particularly popular one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back