Obama Portrait artist - Kehinde Wiley controversy

You are still not refuting my point. There were peaceful good people who have a different belief than you do. The civil war is an important part of American history and removing the statues is disrespectful. If you don’t agree with them then don’t visit them. The presence of such monuments does nothing to harm anyone.

I have no problem with anyone protesting/marching/speaking about any issue. Right now I am just commenting on whether it is appropriate to have those statues on public property.

WW2 was an important part of German history, but you don't see statues to Hitler, Himmler, Goebbels etc..adorning public property. Saddam was an important part of Iraqi history but his statue was pulled down, with help from US soldiers. It is disrespectful to the memory of the slaves, African Americans and all who fought to defeat the institution of slavery to have those statues on public land.

There is no option, to not visit them, they are on public land, so people should not have to see it. Move to a museum or private land. Putting it up on public land is glamorizing a morally wrong institution and defense of this institution. The Confederacy was morally wrong, and they lost.

Conservatives and rightwingers always play the patriotism card, yet it is from the rightwing and Conservative ranks that one finds supporters of keeping the statues on public property. If these statues were of Mexican leaders who fought against the US, there wouldn't be any support to keep them on public property, by the same folks opposed to removing the Confederate statues.

Good lord, those paintings look like shit.

When the artist is that mediocre, it's not even worth getting riled up about their obvious intention to create some kind of contrived controversy.

I'd have figured Obama would have better taste than that. And I don't mean in a decency sense, but just a higher standard for actual quality. That's some middling art school shit.

I think he visibly cringed when the Michelle Obama portrait was unveiled.

I have no problem with anyone protesting/marching/speaking about any issue. Right now I am just commenting on whether it is appropriate to have those statues on public property.

WW2 was an important part of German history, but you don't see statues to Hitler, Himmler, Goebbels etc..adorning public property. Saddam was an important part of Iraqi history but his statue was pulled down, with help from US soldiers. It is disrespectful to the memory of the slaves, African Americans and all who fought to defeat the institution of slavery to have those statues on public land.

There is no option, to not visit them, they are on public land, so people should not have to see it. Move to a museum or private land. Putting it up on public land is glamorizing a morally wrong institution and defense of this institution. The Confederacy was morally wrong, and they lost.

Conservatives and rightwingers always play the patriotism card, yet it is from the rightwing and Conservative ranks that one finds supporters of keeping the statues on public property. If these statues were of Mexican leaders who fought against the US, there wouldn't be any support to keep them on public property, by the same folks opposed to removing the Confederate statues.

Your bias is showing. I wouldn’t call fighting for states rights to be a morally wrong institution and your comparisons to Germany and Iraq are absurd.

How about some outrage regarding the statue of Lenin in Seattle?

Your bias is showing. I wouldn’t call fighting for states rights to be a morally wrong institution and your comparisons to Germany and Iraq are absurd.

How about some outrage regarding the statue of Lenin in Seattle?
States Rights is a cop-out. They were fighting for the right of those Southern States to keep slavery. Something tells me you wouldn't be supporting these statues if the roles were reversed, and by that I mean if it was Blacks who enslaved Whites and these statues were of Black leaders who fought to maintain the enslavement of Whites.

Comparison is apt, because all of them were considered enemies of the US, and all 3 lost.

5rzmbN.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back