Social Japanese Artist Harrassed On Twitter For Being Too "Woke"

By the way, @Hog-train, I totally agree with him on everything he's saying about the low crime and how everything is relatively so much safer there. It's one of the things I adore about the place myself.

But there are some places I still wouldn't go unaccompanied by a Japanese person. This gent in the video gives the strong impression he might be totally uninterested in any of those places anyway, however.

By the way, @Hog-train, I totally agree with him on everything he's saying about the low crime and how everything is relatively so much safer there. It's one of the things I adore about the place myself.

But there are some places I still wouldn't go unaccompanied by a Japanese person. This gent in the video gives the strong impression he might be totally uninterested in any of those places anyway, however.

We always judge racism through our own Western lens. I feel like the racism in the Far East is more about ignorance and no exposure to other races. There's no hate or resentment there as opposed to the West.

There's no hate or resentment there as opposed to the West.

Maybe because there's virtually no black people in Japan? If Japan was 13% black like the USA, you'd see plenty of racism from the Japanese towards black people.

Maybe because there's virtually no black people in Japan? If Japan was 13% black like the USA, you'd see plenty of racism from the Japanese towards black people.

Who knows. That's all speculation. There's no civil rights movement nor the enduring poverty nor a large amount of drug use in black people in Japan. So could be completely different.

Who knows. That's all speculation. There's no civil rights movement nor the enduring poverty nor a large amount of drug use in black people in Japan. So could be completely different.

It's not speculation. It's common sense. There's virtually no black people in Japan, so of course there's no "hate or resentment" for them. How could there be?

It's not speculation. It's common sense. There's virtually no black people in Japan, so of course there's no "hate or resentment" for them. How could there be?

You're making the assumption that if a large amount of black people moved there, they would follow the same patterns as here. But they would have a completely different history.

Discussion and debate is now "harassment".

Wild.

You're making the assumption that if a large amount of black people moved there, they would follow the same patterns as here. But they would have a completely different history.
Let it be noted that is not what I am saying at all.

We always judge racism through our own Western lens. I feel like the racism in the Far East is more about ignorance and no exposure to other races. There's no hate or resentment there as opposed to the West.
If I'm judging anything it's through a Japanese lens if any. Frankly, I'm not even judging it at all as far as I am aware--at least not in this context.

As to whether a black person will experience overt racism in Japan, I think what you're seeing in that video is it's not overt among most, that it depends upon where he is in Japan, and that it depends a lot more upon being twice the size of most Japanese and looking fashionable/well to do than it depends upon his pronunciation of Japanese (hint: it's awful).

By the way, I think all racism is about ignorance since it is a learned belief.

My point was never that it's an awful existence to be black in Japan; rather it's not too surprising if this artist received negative comments for a positive depiction of black and non-binary people. If that was not already clear to you, as it appears, I ask you read my earlier posts ITT.

Last edited:

It's inevitable that hatred of black people would increase if there was a large population of black people in Japan. That's not speculation.

The term "woke" is colloquially used to describe a social and political awareness, often associated with progressive and social justice movements. Which originally referred to being awake or conscious, especially in terms of societal issues such as racism, sexism, and other forms of discrimination.

In a broader sense, "woke" is sometimes used pejoratively to criticize what some perceive as excessive political correctness or extreme activism in pursuit of social justice. People may argue that it reflects an overzealous or dogmatic approach to addressing social issues

So was the japanese artist being woke or not?

Back