Nunes Insults Cyborg's "Power" and Tells Her to Wait Two Years for Rematch

What do you make of Nunes' comments?

• Total voters
Amanda Nunes reminds me of Michael Jackson

201605_1831_aihea.jpg

Weird that she was gun shy as hell against Shevchenko but then claims she wasnt worried about Cyborg's power at all

<mma4>
She definitley was and that's why she tried to finish it early, also the reason she doesn't want a rematch. At least she took the fight but she sure isn't marketing herself very well.

She should defend her 135 belt next and then let Cyborg have her rematch. Usually I don't believe in fighters being scurred of other fighters but I find it very odd that Nunes does not want to rematch Cyborg, a bit like it might not be a good idea for her (as she in my opinion would likely lose).

She didn't strike me as able to make a great case. She comes off as acting like a queen; she gets to choose her opponent or when to fight. Champions picking their opponents was never the way the UFC operated; it changed with Silva. Then there was Woodley, Bisping, others. Here she just sounds as if she's trying to annoy Cyborg.

She should have said, "Look, Cyborg is not my priority. I have my division to defend. I am not going to hold up the Bantamweight division and all the women who are lining up to fight me.

"I want an opponent who can last longer than 51 seconds. When Cyborg learns some new skills and can demonstrate she's not slow, or she has real power in her hands, we will talk about a rematch."

You’ve eloquently rephrased what she said or was alluding to. Amanda’s problem is that she is not eloquent in english. No reason to hate on her for that.

Pretty messed up she can't give Cyborg the same courtesy Cyborg gave her. 2 years? What she scared of? If she isn't even scared of Cyborgs power take the rematch and put a nail in the coffin as WMMA Goat and move on. I didn't think Nunes was gonna act like this.... Damn.

It was a joke guys, she was referring to the fact that Cyborg complained when Nunes waited a year to accept the fight after it was first talked about, now says she'll make her wait 2 years to accept the rematch, it's shit-talking thats a little lost in translation.

Tbh... 2 years for a rematch would sound fair since she has to defend her title in Bantam and it's not like the Womens Featherweight division has a lot of opponents she needs to defend against...

on the same card have:

Amanda Nunes vs. Germaine de Randamie
Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm

Would like to see Holm get another shot now that Cyborg has lost and shown a suspect chin.

Last edited:
Make it 4 yrs tbh imo

Cyborg was calm, patient and technical against Leslie Smith, Lina Lansberg,Tonya Evinger, Yana and Holly Holm despite the fact she probably could have finished those fights sooner if she had gone full prime Wand but she suddenly decided it's a brilliant idea in the biggest fight of her career to go full prime Wand against Amanda who throws fast, accurate and super hard but has cardio issues.

Whatever else you can't blame Tito, Jason Parillo, Claressa Shields or anybody else on her team, they were just as shocked as rest of the world at the way Cyborg fought.

on the same card have:

Amanda Nunes vs. Holly Holm
Cris Cyborg vs. Valentina Shevchenko

Valentina did okay against Nunes so I think her and Cyborg would be interesting at either 145 or a catch weight.

Holm couldn't beat Cyborg but styles make fights and Holm's can be frustrating for some fighting Holm for the first time. Holm is also a former Boxer who could potentially strike with Nunes while also having those vicious kicks that may help her against Nunes.
UFC wont match her w val. Cyroids got one fight left. They'll put her in w someone they dont care about as much like megan anderson

Amanda is the dealer now. She holds the cards after winning so decisively.

Cyborg has no excuses, no controversy, nothing to fall back on. She was primed, ready, and got KO'ed cold.

If Stipe doesn't get an immediate rematch, Cyborg certainly doesn't.

I'd rather see Amanda vs. Holly at 145 TBH.

The fight was decisive. If Cyborg stays in the UFC I’d expect a rematch at some point. And I doubt it would have to wait 2 years. But I don’t need to see it right now.

Cyborg talked minor but still shit talk in the lead up. Nunes has a right to everything she said here.
<PlusJuan>

Honestly though you look at Cyborgs career and she's not really wrong, not all that many instances of her really desiding fights with one punch power, its almost always been a case of just overwhelming opponents and getting TKOs.

Yeah its moreso the volume, and relentlessness of that volume and aggression, which Cyborg can keep bringing round after round, due to her conditioning.

Cyborg thought if she turned the heat up, Amanda would break, like her other opponents have. Cyborg was wrong.

UFC wont match her w val. Cyroids got one fight left. They'll put her in w someone they dont care about as much like megan anderson

sorry, had to revise my fights...

on the same card have:

Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm 2

Would like to see Holm get another shot now that Cyborg has lost and has also shown to have a suspect chin.

sorry, had to revise my fights...

on the same card have:

Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm

Would like to see Holm get another shot now that Cyborg has lost and shown a suspect chin.
nah...we haven't got Holm and Nunes yet and holms coming off a win. It's the perfect time to match them. Can get gdr in their later.

Something I don't understand is why someone like RR can talk crazy mad trash to "sell" the fight and gets vilified, but others can talk trash and are admired for it and forgiven.

In this example, HH is being lionized for stopping RR, her victory over Honda made her the forum angel.

So do we like and approve of trash talk, or not? Isn't "selling the fight" always a good thing?

To be fair, Cyborg did keep insulting Amanda Nunes repeatedly while Amanda was preparing to move up to face her... publicly talking about how Amanda didn't want to fight, or how Amanda is making excuses...

So, while I appreciate that Cyborg is now being all classy, its not like Cyborg chose it voluntarily. Amanda Nunes served her the humble pie that made her eat it.

So, I can see Amanda is taking a bit of the piss here, but the Champ Champ does what the Champ Champ wants to do! :cool:

nah...we haven't got Holm and Nunes yet and holms coming off a win. It's the perfect time to match them. Can get gdr in their later.

that's what i said i preferred in my first post. but id settle for de randamie.

so Nunes vs Holm like I said and Cyborg vs. de randamie. can de randamie make 145 though? and would she be willing to for a good size check seeing she's technically still #1 contender?

because i'd strongly prefer to put them on the same card as 2 co-main events and then apply the main event over those two.. maybe for their big summer ppv.

Something I don't understand is why someone like RR can talk crazy mad trash to "sell" the fight and gets vilified, but others can talk trash and are admired for it and forgiven.

In this example, HH is being lionized for stopping RR, her victory over Honda made her the forum angel.

So do we like and approve of trash talk, or not? Isn't "selling the fight" always a good thing?
I'll tell you why.

Many small dick guys cannot handle a woman talking shit and not pandering to them. They think that they have to be nice and that they are lucky they get to fight at all. So when a female fighter is filled to the brim with confidence and violence,they take it as an affront to their nonexistent accomplishments and want to see them brought down. Cyborg they dont look at that way. She looks and fights like a man,so anything she does is ok,she's the "goat" she can do whatever she wants.
Ronda and joanna never missed weight,or broke any rules or did roids,they were just ultra confident women who won easily for a long time. These nerds dont like that. They aren't interested in fairness. They have one foot outside of wmma even being viable and would rather some roided up chick who fights like a man to crush these other females for daring to fight in a mans sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back