Opinion Nowadays when u encounter a racist incident the best thing u can do is to record & post it online?

I don't disagree with you on this. I try to consider what I say in public before I say it and stand by the things I say. I'd respect these people more if they did the same.
And that is a noble intention.

But have you considered the 2nd, 3rd and 4th order effects from this?

I say this as POC (son of Indian immigrants) who has been called racist insults my entire life. My fiancee was near suicidal due to racism as a teen.

Cancelling racist people would sound like a dream come true for us... but a world where people's lives and speech are micromanaged by fear and an angry online mob is quite frankly a nightmare worse than the current racist world.

1st order effect of this: Racist people are scared to spew their racist garbage. Happens with video proof or without proof.

So far so good, right?

2nd order effects:
- People accuse others of racism in order to get rid of them as competition. Already seeing this in corporate America (have friends who work such jobs in NYC). Perfect way to secure a promotion.

- Out of context videos or straight up lies get used to ruin good people's lives. Anything that can turned into a witch hunt is a sociopath's wet dream. Since people are now guilty before innocent, video isn't even needed.

And this is just from my own personal experience. And let's not begin on the 3rd and 4th order effects.

The irony of all this is, racism is lower than it's ever been before. This is the least racist time in US history, and this trend was continuing steadily. However, if you micromanage people's lives with fear, they are more likely to build up resentment.

So as a POC, this is the last thing I want.

I say this as POC (son of Indian immigrants) who has been called racist insults my entire life. My fiancee was near suicidal due to racism as a teen.

Cancelling racist people would sound like a dream come true for us... but a world where people's lives and speech are micromanaged by fear and an angry online mob is quite frankly a nightmare worse than the current racist world.

1st order effect of this: Racist people are scared to spew their racist garbage. Happens with video proof or without proof.

So far so good, right?

2nd order effects:
- People accuse others of racism in order to get rid of them as competition. Already seeing this in corporate America (have friends who work such jobs in NYC). Perfect way to secure a promotion.

- Out of context videos or straight up lies get used to ruin good people's lives. Anything that can turned into a witch hunt is a sociopath's wet dream. Since people are now guilty before innocent, video isn't even needed.

And this is just from my own personal experience. And let's not begin on the 3rd and 4th order effects.

The irony of all this is, racism is lower than it's ever been before. This is the least racist time in US history, and this trend was continuing steadily. However, if you micromanage people's lives with fear, they are more likely to build up resentment.

Racism is now filling the same psychological role that witchcraft once did. It is both a general explanation for why bad things happen ("structural racism") and an unfalsifiable accusation useful for getting rid of troublemakers or the inconvenient.

Racism is now filling the same psychological role that witchcraft once did. It is both a general explanation for why bad things happen ("structural racism") and an unfalsifiable accusation useful for getting rid of troublemakers or the inconvenient.
Pretty much. As usual, what starts with noble intentions can and will get abused by sociopaths.

I swear, people don't seem to learn from the patterns of history. It's way too predictable at this point.

It's the ideal way to deal with it.

If you don't, a bunch of losers will claim that: A) it didn't happen; or B) it happened but it was deserved for some imaginary transgression.

Seems weird that anyone would have an issue with more evidence, instead of less. At a minimum, we should get a reduction in the number of people who claim that such things don't happen because they have never seen or heard it themselves.

Why expand? I'm talking about this specific scenario. But just to humour you, arson is bad. Single mothers should do better at picking partners to breed with. Fathers who have kids should not abandon them... What does any of that with the scenario presented by ts?
Nothing I guess, you were asking about someone facing the consequences of their actions, despite having a bad day, and I got sidetracked and asked about facing consequences of their actions, despite having a bad life.

<Fedor23>

I think it makes sense. You avoid legal problems or false claims. It keeps the person behaving in that way from physically harming you or someone else (or you would think).

More importantly, this is a capitalist society. If Jim, who runs the burger stand, is a racist, then I don’t want to give him my business and I want other like minded individuals to know that he believes what he does. He’s free to hold those beliefs, and we are free to get our burgers somewhere else.

I get as annoyed as anyone when people whip their phones out and start recording, but when you really think about it, then it becomes clear it is probably the best option.

If it's a non-violent incident (real not perceived violence), the best thing you can do is not be loud and shame them but be disappointed and talk to them like you expect better of them, feel sorry for them, and at least attempt to talk to them. Much like violence most often begets violence, a lot of this negativity in shouting matches and social media shaming and such just creates more anger and negativity. You can be absolutely in the right but it's not going to change the person, it'll just make them more bitter and angry. Remember the story about that black dude that talked to current or ex-KKK members and the like and helped many to renounce their ways?; he had the right idea.
My grandfather (adopted my mom at birth) could be pretty bigoted at times, then my cousin got knocked up by a mostly black dude then got knocked up by him again a few years later (spoiler, they weren't married or even serious; he was an alright dude when I met him but he pretty much abandoned his kids so that was pretty shitty behavior); my grandfather did not like this at all, but being around his new great grandchildren he wasn't seeing color and loved them for who they were, it helped ease his bigotry. Bigots and racists can change, the kneejerk emotional reaction may be big and loud and to shame them and curse them, and I understand that but it just doesn't help and a lot of time these days real bigotry and racism and what people may erroneously perceive as bigotry and racism are too often blurred together so people are often cursed out and shamed when they aren't doing anything bigoted or racist.

"I may not agree with a thing you say but i will defend to the death your right to say it"

Everyone should be allowed to say whatever they want no matter how vile, disgusting or offensive.

If you are seriously offended you have a choice to either take action and risk legal repercussions or remove yourself from the situation and to not associate with that person in the future.

This mob mentality, victims of words bullshit is beyond rediculous.

Words should not be illegal. A few exceptions like shouting fire in a theatre or bomb in an airport i understand but i cant imagine being such a pussy that i would pull out my phone and attempt to publicly shame someone for calling me a racial slur. Either im pissed off enough in that moment to beat your ass or im moving on and ignoring you.

This shit is out of control.

Racism is at an all time low historically. I literally know one racist. One. Uno. Singular stupido.

Pisses me off Dems view race as a scorecard. It’s fucking sick.

It's the ideal way to deal with it.

If you don't, a bunch of losers will claim that: A) it didn't happen; or B) it happened but it was deserved for some imaginary transgression.

And if you do, you'll get a bunch of people saying, "that ain't racism. Sorry."

Seems weird that anyone would have an issue with more evidence, instead of less. At a minimum, we should get a reduction in the number of people who claim that such things don't happen because they have never seen or heard it themselves.

It seems weird that people in a world that has started to understand the insane toxicity of social media and the damage its done, wouldn't want to see it continued to be weaponised as a tool for division?
It seems weird that you think that's weird.

"Should mobs be mobilised to shame people on social media, based on shakey, out-of-context cell phone evidence?"
"Why, yes. Yes, that seems an ideal solution."

Ideal way to deal with what? Lol. You've got too much social harmony and you're bored now?

That's how you interpret all of these videos? Trouble makers who are baiting well-to-doers into saying racist things on camera? Do you really think "well-to-doers" call people racist names?

I'm sorry, but to me that sounds like a narrative that you created in your own mind. There are countless videos online at this point of people being attacked for their race for a wide variety of nonsensical reasons. Many times, the minority being racially attacked appears to be the "well-to-doer" and the person attacking them seems like troublemaker. The fact that you're spinning a narrative in an attempt to defend the racists, instead of the people being called racist names, is so strange to me.

I've been in lots of arguments in my lifetime. I've never once even thought to start racially attacking somebody during an argument. Why? Because I'm not a racist, and the thought never even crossed my mind. If you are arguing with somebody and your first thought is to use racial slurs, you are probably a racist. If you're a racist and you are arguing with somebody in public, you should probably exercise some self-control instead of exposing yourself.

I didn't say all videos are like that. I said I can easily see degenerates taking it there and someone shared a couple of videos where the same Twitter guy is in multiple "racist" interaction. So it's obviously already happening

I didn't say all videos are like that. I said I can easily see degenerates taking it there and someone shared a couple of videos where the same Twitter guy is in multiple "racist" interaction. So it's obviously already happening

Show us those examples. I’d like to see how this guy gets non-racists to be racists on camera.

Show us those examples. I’d like to see how this guy gets non-racists to be racists on camera.

2019-01-18_Sandmann_Phillips.jpg

I mean, you fell for this one and wanted to ruin this kid's life over it.

edit:
Always a hilarious thread watching how slowly you walked back despite new clips coming out (and even after edit claimed they were being disrespectful)
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ovington-hs-kids-and-nathan-phillips.3897469/

Last edited:

So far so good, right?

2nd order effects:

It's much like #MeToo, which I think is overall a good thing, where you aren't allowed to discuss severity or degrees of it and as such there is only one acceptable response. Danny Masterson raping 4 women? Get him fired. Harvey Weinstein coercing dozens of women into sleeping with him? Get him fired. Charlie Rose groping dozens of women? Get him fired. Garrison Keillor touching a women's bare back consoling her? Get him fired.

It's clear that these aren't the same in terms of scope and severity, but they needed to all be treated with the same zero tolerance approach because sexual assault needs to be taken seriously.

This day and age, I'm ignoring it. I'm not going to be part of whatever story some asshole is trying to make everyone part of. Their outrage is most likely exaggerated, they probably have their phone ready to film me being a person with the audacity to be white and there's no way I'm going to come out of the situation where someone isn't going to say I did the wrong thing, so fuck it. I won't play.

2019-01-18_Sandmann_Phillips.jpg

I mean, you fell for this one and wanted to ruin this kid's life over it.

edit:
Always a hilarious thread watching how slowly you walked back despite new clips coming out (and even after edit claimed they were being disrespectful)
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ovington-hs-kids-and-nathan-phillips.3897469/

It never ceases to amaze me how absolutely dishonest you guys are. Sharing a story exactly as it was reported in every major media outlet is not seeking to destroy anybody. I do think it is sad that you guys constantly try to misrepresent story from several years ago. Pathetic, really.

20 years ago, if you were gay, they'd come for your job. Because being gay wasn't socially accepted.

Now, if you say something that *some* people consider racist, they'll come for your job. Because such statements aren't socially accepted.

Fucking people don't learn. Stop destroying people's livelihoods and build your own.
You should join an exposing racist group on Facebook and see the vile racist shit people are actually getting in trouble for. Threatening POC and calling them the N word and insulting and threatening their children and shit.

The girl who got busted on camera in the back of a truck saying she was going hunting for blacks (with a much more offensive word of course) upset because her Air Force career is ruined had it the fuck coming.

I saw a meme that said "your klancesters didn't hide under sheets so you could be racist with your job linked to their profile" and it's pretty accurate. Pretty mind-blowing you would be so racist when people can just screenshot it, send it to your employer and ask them if that's the kind of representative of their company they want.

This day and age, I'm ignoring it. I'm not going to be part of whatever story some asshole is trying to make everyone part of. Their outrage is most likely exaggerated, they probably have their phone ready to film me being a person with the audacity to be white and there's no way I'm going to come out of the situation where someone isn't going to say I did the wrong thing, so fuck it. I won't play.

Wow, you poor guy. It sounds so hard being white in your 99% white town.

And while, those of us who live in hugely diverse areas and are experiencing absolutely no issues whatsoever can’t help but wonder what the hell you are even talking about.

Back