Opinion Nowadays when u encounter a racist incident the best thing u can do is to record & post it online?

Wow, you poor guy. It sounds so hard being white in your 99% white town.
Sorry, could you repeat that? It didn't get to me from up there on your pedestal.

And while, those of us who live in hugely diverse areas and are experiencing absolutely no issues whatsoever can’t help but wonder what the hell you are even talking about.
Sure. No interaction between two races ever gets posted all over social media with bullshit narratives. Literally never happens.

Sorry, could you repeat that? It didn't get to me from up there on your pedestal.

Sure. No interaction between two races ever gets posted all over social media with bullshit narratives. Literally never happens.

We are talking about millions of interactions and millions of people literally living together, and you’re focusing on social media videos.

There are way more examples of white people fighting with white people and black people fighting with black people than anything else. Are you concerned about interactions with white people too?

It never ceases to amaze me how absolutely dishonest you guys are. Sharing a story exactly as it was reported in every major media outlet is not seeking to destroy anybody. I do think it is sad that you guys constantly try to misrepresent story from several years ago. Pathetic, really.

Misrepresent the story = posting the source thread?

Your very first post (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148453067), which you edited after the extended video came out:
"I think the kids' behavior in this situation is disrespectful and inappropriate. I think there is a basic level of decency and respect you show towards elderly people, and the way these kids behave is lacking in character."

And again after the extended video came out (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148495479):
The kid is essentially calling the old man a liar. If the guy is a liar, then he should be shamed for it obviously. But it's clear in the video that the kids are being obnoxious and disrespectful.

But also, the backlash to this whole situation has been way overboard, and it's mainly focusing on the kids themselves instead of the overall climate. I was expecting the discussion to revolve around how political rhetoric is affecting basic decency. It's weird that our society would rather focus on the actual kids instead of the larger issue.

You continued pushing some false narrative that they were being disrespectful because of some racist political climate. Then you were shocked (shocked I say!) that the kids were being doxed and targeted. Completely unexpected results of positing information about people online with their images, what school they went to, and claiming them racist. No one could have seen that coming.

And yet, you implied the results earlier in the thread (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148458337), in response to someone saying they are receiving death threats
Lol, oh the histrionics now.

The kids were obviously acting inappropriately, and they were the ones filming it. Here's an idea, don't film yourself or your classmates acting like fools and then post it on the internet.

There is no defending the kid standing in the old guy's face, and if he did not want to be on camera acting like that then he should not have done it. I'm sure his friends did him no favors by yelling "Build that wall" at the old man. But hey, these kids will have to learn sooner or later how to show respect.

So how are we supposed to read that? That you were genuinely worried they were getting death threats and being doxxed? I call bullshit if that's the stance you are claiming you had.

Misrepresent the story = posting the source thread?

Your very first post (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148453067), which you edited after the extended video came out:
"I think the kids' behavior in this situation is disrespectful and inappropriate. I think there is a basic level of decency and respect you show towards elderly people, and the way these kids behave is lacking in character."

And again after the extended video came out (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148495479):
The kid is essentially calling the old man a liar. If the guy is a liar, then he should be shamed for it obviously. But it's clear in the video that the kids are being obnoxious and disrespectful.

But also, the backlash to this whole situation has been way overboard, and it's mainly focusing on the kids themselves instead of the overall climate. I was expecting the discussion to revolve around how political rhetoric is affecting basic decency. It's weird that our society would rather focus on the actual kids instead of the larger issue.

You continued pushing some false narrative that they were being disrespectful because of some racist political climate. Then you were shocked (shocked I say!) that the kids were being doxed and targeted. Completely unexpected results of positing information about people online with their images, what school they went to, and claiming them racist. No one could have seen that coming.

And yet, you implied the results earlier in the thread (https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148458337), in response to someone saying they are receiving death threats
Lol, oh the histrionics now.

The kids were obviously acting inappropriately, and they were the ones filming it. Here's an idea, don't film yourself or your classmates acting like fools and then post it on the internet.

There is no defending the kid standing in the old guy's face, and if he did not want to be on camera acting like that then he should not have done it. I'm sure his friends did him no favors by yelling "Build that wall" at the old man. But hey, these kids will have to learn sooner or later how to show respect.

So how are we supposed to read that? That you were genuinely worried they were getting death threats and being doxxed? I call bullshit if that's the stance you are claiming you had.

Lol. Way to prove my point for me.

I shared a huge story, like we do every day. I shared exactly what was shared from multiple huge sources, like the NYT. I acknowledged what should happen if things turned out to be differently than they were.

I'm glad we cleared this up. Looking forward to the next 27 times you try to force this topic to come up, since you're pathetically low on ammunition against me.

We are talking about millions of interactions and millions of people literally living together, and you’re focusing on social media videos.
We're posting on social media right now. How many people use twitter, facebook, etc etc etc. I get that you like to appear enlightened but come on. You're simply playing dumb here. Remember the discussion we had about the kid in the Hitler costume? That was all because of social media. Every other day, you're in the meme thread, whining about the inaccuracy of the memes and how misleading they are and how people believe them and treat them like news. Now when the mirror is pointing the other way, you pretend not to see it.

There are way more examples of white people fighting with white people and black people fighting with black people than anything else. Are you concerned about interactions with white people too?
I'm simply not going to play the race game. I refuse to do it, I will never involve myself in any altercation between two races, ever. I guess I'm OK with the social segregation that leftists are pushing so hard for when I look at what my options are.

Black Mirror was giving you some predictive programming years ago

We're posting on social media right now. How many people use twitter, facebook, etc etc etc. I get that you like to appear enlightened but come on. You're simply playing dumb here. Remember the discussion we had about the kid in the Hitler costume? That was all because of social media. Every other day, you're in the meme thread, whining about the inaccuracy of the memes and how misleading they are and how people believe them and treat them like news. Now when the mirror is pointing the other way, you pretend not to see it.

It's not about being enlightened, it's about being practical and rational. Every single day there are millions of positive interactions between people of different races. It's just a bit of alarmism to pretend that it's somehow difficult to interact with people without race becoming a problem. That's not enlightenment, that's rationalism.

I will never involve myself in any altercation between two races, ever. I guess I'm OK with the social segregation that leftists are pushing so hard for when I look at what my options are.

What does this even mean? You sound like an alarmist to a degree that I've never even imagined. I live with somebody of a different race, should I be scared? Lol. Come on man, don't go off the deep end here.

If I were to invite you over for dinner, would you refuse on the basis that there'd be a non-white there? Is this 1876?

It's not about being enlightened, it's about being practice and rational. Every single day there are millions of positive interactions between people of different races. It's just a bit of alarmism to pretend that it's somehow difficult to interact with people without race becoming a problem. That's not enlightenment, that's rationalism.

What does this even mean? You sound like an alarmist to a degree that I've never even imagined. I live with somebody of a different race, should I be scared? Lol.
I don't think you're as rational as you tout yourself to be.

Be better. Treat people better. Speak up when need be. It's not rocket science, and you don't have to March around to do it

Who doesn't?

Why, so you can respond by pretending not to get what I mean again?

It's a pretty simple question. I would think that you could answer pretty easily.

You seem to be reverting to some infantile state, or taking on the mindset of an ignoramus from a different time entirely. Talking about segregation and shit, it's gross. But more importantly, you're being entirely irrational, and you're displaying a level of alarmist panic that is shocking, to be honest.

I live with somebody who is non-white. Would you be opposed to coming over for dinner? Does that make you uncomfortable? If so, I'll ask again, what year is this? What the hell do you think is going to happen to you?

We know you live in Maine, which is over 90% white. I know you live in a particularly rural part of Maine, which is likely even more white. That's fine, I've been there, it's a nice little town. There's nothing wrong with where you live.

However, being so incredibly disconnected from the things you're talking about, wouldn't it make sense to listen to some rational people who have a different experience than you? I mean, it doesn't affect me one way or another if you lock yourself up and have no interaction with the world, and gain no experiences of your own. But for the life of me, I have no idea why you'd choose to do that, and refuse to broaden your world view even a little bit.

It's a pretty simple question. I would think that you could answer pretty easily.

You seem to be reverting to some infantile state, or taking on the mindset of an ignoramus from a different time entirely. Talking about segregation and shit, it's gross. But more importantly, you're being entirely irrational, and you're displaying a level of alarmist panic that is shocking, to be honest.

I live with somebody who is non-white. Would you be opposed to coming over for dinner? Does that make you uncomfortable? If so, I'll ask again, what year is this? What the hell do you think is going to happen to you?

We know you live in Maine, which is over 90% white. I know you live in a particularly rural part of Maine, which is likely even more white. That's fine, I've been there, it's a nice little town. There's nothing wrong with where you live.

However, being so incredibly disconnected from the things you're talking about, wouldn't it make sense to listen to some rational people who have a different experience than you? I mean, it doesn't affect me one way or another if you lock yourself up and have no interaction with the world, and gain no experiences of your own. But for the life of me, I have no idea why you'd choose to do that, and refuse to broaden your world view even a little bit.
Believe it or not, I have actually seen black people before. They're not unicorns.

Believe it or not, I have actually seen black people before. They're not unicorns.

What about your experience with them scared you into "social segregation"?

Even when there's no racist incident, nowadays the best thing you can do is try to fake one.

NASCAR is treating Bubba Wallace like a hero for faking a hate crime. We live in the Clown World. Meanwhile, NASCAR shamed all the white drivers into doing some weird PSA where the apologize for being white and how this is all a learning opportunity and they can teach their children? What?

The liars have become the heroes.

What about your experience with them scared you into "social segregation"?
Nothing. I've got along great with every black person I've ever known, feel free to insert black friends joke here. We don't have enough black people up to make it worth it for the left to exploit their fears and make them divisive. We get along up here as a result of people like you leaving them alone and feeling a need to loudly champion them at all cost, even if there isn't really much worth championing. No shootings, low crime, no black people complaining about feeling like victims at every turn...... racism just doesn't fly up here yet. It has yet to become a valuable tool to Maine's left and I aim to do my part to keep it that way by not playing along.

Nothing. I've got along great with every black person I've ever known, feel free to insert black friends joke here. We don't have enough black people up to make it worth it for the left to exploit their fears and make them divisive. We get along up here as a result of people like you leaving them alone and feeling a need to loudly champion them at all cost, even if there isn't really much worth championing. No shootings, low crime, no black people complaining about feeling like victims at every turn...... racism just doesn't fly up here yet. It has yet to become a valuable tool to Maine's left and I aim to do my part to keep it that way by not playing along.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. That's how life is man, everywhere. I've spent half my time with and around black people my entire life. Not intentionally, just because where I live that tends to be how it is. People are people. I have not had any more negative interactions with one race than another.

So now that I've set your mind at ease, you don't have to segregate yourself! Your 100% positive experiences with black people is not an outlier, it's normal. What a great day.

I don't want a smartphone so is it ok if I still just beat the crap out of them ?
Meh, never mind if others think it's ok.

And if you do, you'll get a bunch of people saying, "that ain't racism. Sorry."
Sure, but you'll be dealing with an event where everyone can actually see it and evaluate what they see, which is far better than evaluating the he said/she said version.

It seems weird that people in a world that has started to understand the insane toxicity of social media and the damage its done, wouldn't want to see it continued to be weaponised as a tool for division?
It seems weird that you think that's weird.

"Should mobs be mobilised to shame people on social media, based on shakey, out-of-context cell phone evidence?"
"Why, yes. Yes, that seems an ideal solution."

Ideal way to deal with what? Lol. You've got too much social harmony and you're bored now?
"Weaponized as a tool for division" is only true if you don't believe that the division already existed. People have been complaining about this very issue for decades. The introduction of social media and cell phone cameras didn't create it, it only recorded it.

But I suppose there is/was a subsection of the population who were unaware that the people complaining about these issues have been making the same complaints for decades. That doesn't make the division new, it just means that that subset has finally started paying attention to it.

Back