Now the judging catastrophe all makes sense...

juddy96

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
MMADecisions.com ‏@MMADecisions 1m

For those asking, the judges from the recent Zapata/Stephens fight on TUF were Cecil Peoples, Adalaide Byrd and Dave Hagen.

also it doesn't matter.
Dana sort of explains it in the episode later. but not fully.
the sudden death round was scored 10-8, 9-9, 9-9 for a majority draw. because the fight cannot end in a draw, the judges scored the fight as a whole to determine the winner without tallying points.

Cecil-Peoples.jpg

And here...we...go.

also it doesn't matter.
the sudden death round was scored 10-8, 9-9, 9-9 for a majority draw. because the fight cannot end in a draw, the judges scored the fight as a whole to determine the winner without tallying points.

I truly don't see how you could give Zapata that last round. That being said, once Dana explained the scoring, I realized it was just a case of shitty judging, as opposed to an outright tallying mistake.

What the did Stephens do in round 3 to be given that round? I'm not hating on him for his wrestling style, but he didn't do much besides take home down and land a few strikes at the very end. Zapata landed far more strikes and showed far more aggression.

In the unified rules it is stated as such
"Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard."

Stephens mainly got the take down and clung to Zapata's back. He was not an active grappler.

In the unified rules it is stated as such
"Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard."

Stephens mainly got the take down and clung to Zapata's back. He was not an active grappler.

I loved the decision. I think wrestlers not being able to dry hump to a decision win at all times is a step in the right direction. Stephens' face was a bloody mess...as much as I dislike Dana if he is cool with decision we should be too.

I know what you're saying and I agree, but the look of a guys face shouldn't really be as big of a factor as people think. Some people cut and swell so easily and other don't. The judges need to just understand what they are judging. This sport as we know it has been operating under the same unified rules for long enough now that the judges need to be able to do it right or suffer consequences.

also it doesn't matter.

So in the future should the UFC amend the rules (Assuming it is their rules for TUF fights not ending in draw and not the commission) to instead of just circle who you thought won as a tie breaker just have them keep fighting rounds until you have a winner of that round?

Honestly i personally scored the fight 20 18 for Zapata because he just got wrestle fucked without taking hits as well. Third round i had Stephens win 10-8 because it was a close round but he did enough damage after getting his breather to win. But i can understand the 9-9

What the did Stephens do in round 3 to be given that round? I'm not hating on him for his wrestling style, but he didn't do much besides take home down and land a few strikes at the very end. Zapata landed far more strikes and showed far more aggression.

You must be drunk or something, homie. First of all, Zapata lost 1 point , so he had to absolutely dominate Ian to even have a chance of winning, which he didn't. Secondly, Stephens landed a lot of punches in the last minute or so. Much more than Zapata did. How in the hell would you score the round any other way than for Stephens is beyond me.

That being said, I wanted Zapata to win (no fan but because of the way Stephens was playing) and thats what happened in the end. Now, after seeing him thump his chest for an undeserved win (even if we do not consider the deduction), I want someone to knock his ass out cold.

Stephens lay n prayed too much and the judges saw it. Meanwhile Zapata landed strikes and bloodied him up.

To me it was a victory against lnp.

So you're basically saying that Silva won the first 4 rounds of the first Sonnen fight??

He did 100 times more damage than Chael,even though he was at the bottom.He even rocked Chael from the bottom.

Cecil Peoples and Adalaide Byrd are very racially biased.
Cecil not so much. Byrd definitely is though. The fighter with darker skin usually get the round or at least a draw. Leonard Garcia should be counting his lucky stars that she's racist.

Back