3 things to help judging along

He, he. I was gonna say glasses. Ex-fighters that know what they're seeing would be good & pride FC rounds, too. Maybe have 5 judges? Every option seems to have its potential issues, so it's always a tough discussion. Drug test the judges? Make sure they make weight:)

How bout a judge for the judges who gets to decide gladiator style whether or not they did their jobs correctly. If they did they live if not they get fed to the tigers 🐯. It’d require a lot of judges but only a couple tigers probably.

Have three different style representives of martial arts. 1. Samurai, 1.monk and 1.nerd who knows the computer data. The opinnion and scorecards of these three masters decide who gets the win.
Sounds like the basis of a good joke... A samurai, a monk and a nerd walk into a bar....you can make up the rest.

No judges. Just have Dana give the 👍👎 after each fight.

IMG_6628.jpeg

How bout a judge for the judges who gets to decide gladiator style whether or not they did their jobs correctly. If they did they live if not they get fed to the tigers 🐯. It’d require a lot of judges but only a couple tigers probably.
You took what I was thinking a few levels up. Let’s go with your idea.

There are some bad calls but I don’t think it’s consistently bad enough to make drastic changes, and they simply aren’t going to. There have been shit decision in MMA since I started watching about 17 years ago and there really haven’t been a lot of changes other than imo it seems like they don’t value wrestling as much as they used to.

There should definitely be more 10-10 rounds.
Also split decisions in title fights should call for a winner take all overtime round.
They could use women's 135 as their test group for new judging rules.

They cant change it. Now they can hide corruption. Now we dont know if judge is paid or just bad.

Transparency is key. We know, for a fact, that they use the unified rules but also have weird 'other' rules that is used amongst the refs. Why couldn't the same be applied to the judging. There is some kind of disconnect.

Then accountability.

We need super rare 10-8s. Using more 10-10s might not be the way to go. I'm not sure exactly, but it could end up being a cop out tool for judges and make things even worse.

Fire sal d'amato.

Put the 3 judges on elevated seating at cage side similar to the Umpire in Tennis. At the end of the fight, each has to hold up his scorecard. This should keep them focused on the actual action. It also makes it easier for some fans to associate a bad score with a face in real time.
This actually sounds good, but then you get into the whole open scoring dilemma. It leads to more boring fights. Also, non of these fucks are accountable for anything.

Lie detector tests.....

the-simpsons-lie-detector.gif

They will never implement 10-10 rounds for the simple reason that it would result in far too many draws.

You simply can't risk so mant title fights or even worse, title eliminators ending in a draw. You think rematches now are bad? It would become so much worse with 10-10 rounds.

How is AI transparent?
It would need to be open source software first of all, and then it would still have the same issues with damage vs numbers etc.
I agree with the open source or else it can be rigged similar to American elections lol

And how do we know how effective it'll be until someone tried it? Ai has gotten really good. I'm pretty sure someone smart can program it to get better results than currently.

This actually sounds good, but then you get into the whole open scoring dilemma. It leads to more boring fights. Also, non of these fucks are accountable for anything.

I'm not talking about open scoring between rounds. I only want them to reveal their total score AFTER the fight.

Not an original idea btw. I originally saw that proposed here on SD over a decade ago and liked it.

More draws if not discernible difference . Scrap 10 pt rounds and score fights as a whole.

I think the major problem is that they judge the fight, wrong or right, and just go about their business until the next event. They don't learn shit from their mistakes.

I know there are some meetings or whatever every now and then to uptade judges on stuff but I feel is not close to enough.

So it wouldn't matter if it was 5 judges or .5 scores. If the judges suck, nothing will work.

After the fight the judges and some team of judges coordinators should get togheter and go over every fight again discussing what they saw, why they scored like that and so on. And the coordinators, with the help of video from after the fights, would explain what was wrong or right. They would discuss it to get everyone on the same page.

Other judges who didn't participate in the event would be welcome to join in as well just for the sake of getting better. Or maybe even mandatory for like one event every month.

This way they would improve after every event and judging would be much more coherent between the three guys watching the fight.

I think the major problem is that they judge the fight, wrong or right, and just go about their business until the next event. They don't learn shit from their mistakes.

I know there are some meetings or whatever every now and then to uptade judges on stuff but I feel is not close to enough.

So it wouldn't matter if it was 5 judges or .5 scores. If the judges suck, nothing will work.

After the fight the judges and some team of judges coordinators should get togheter and go over every fight again discussing what they saw, why they scored like that and so on. And the coordinators, with the help of video from after the fights, would explain what was wrong or right. They would discuss it to get everyone on the same page.

Other judges who didn't participate in the event would be welcome to join in as well just for the sake of getting better. Or maybe even mandatory for like one event every month.

This way they would improve after every event and judging would be much more coherent between the three guys watching the fight.

An overall governing board could be a great inclusion for peer reviews on judges and placing them on suspension or revoking of licenses or some kind of checks and balances system.. i will add this as item ,4) thanks for the serious post.

another one: hire judges who actually know something about what they're watching.

1. Will always say this is a terrible idea. This will not fix anything, you’re giving judges a cop out to not make tough calls and they will take it. Then you’re just going to have even more debate and frustration about it. And then more draws will not lead to more satisfaction, stalling the sport more than it already is.

2. Here’s why this is a bad idea.

Judge 1: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 2: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 3: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 4: 10-9, 9-10, 9-10 (28-29)
Judge 5: 9-10, 9-10, 9-10 (27-30)

28.4-28.6 is the final score. Fighter B wins despite more judges believing Fighter A won the fight. Fighter A also won rounds 1 and 2 according to majority of judges and had the most judges that saw it the same way. Yet he still loses. You may say this wouldn’t happen much, but any system where this can happen is pretty flawed. And there’s other ways to come to this same outcome, this is just one example. 5 judges isn’t a bad idea though.

3. No issues with this idea.

1) some fights are really that close though...it will make fighters really work to separate themselves for the judges to pick them... nobody wants to go through a camp and get a draw...vs right now where u can go through a camp and get fucked on the cards and lose when they should of won or got a draw at least

2) in this case the fight would be a draw...not a win.. they both have 28.. which is indicative of the scorecards.. the fight is obviously really close based on the cards...

,3) thanks for feed back

1) some fights are really that close though...it will make fighters really work to separate themselves for the judges to pick them... nobody wants to go through a camp and get a draw...vs right now where u can go through a camp and get fucked on the cards and lose when they should of won or got a draw at least

2) in this case the fight would be a draw...not a win.. they both have 28.. which is indicative of the scorecards.. the fight is obviously really close based on the cards...

,3) thanks for feed back
I respectfully disagree. I don’t think that’s what happens at all. Instead you get fighters playing it safe to scrape a draw. Also so we’re only looking at whole numbers? No rounding? Higher score overall doesn’t win? Sounds like even more controversy, think this ends up being hated just as much if not more in practice.

Besides, just wait for when we get multiple title fights on the same card all go to draw. People will call to scrap this idea immediately. Discussions and dissatisfaction would continue and even grow in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back