3 things to help judging along

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Can we all agree these would help MMA judging in general and should we start an online petition and send it in to the commissions .

1) increased use of 10-10 rounds, in rounds were no new damage occured , with close in number significant strikes are landed without wobbling or affecting either fighters ability to compete and little to no effective grappling took place, that round shall be deemed a 10-10 .

2) The inclusion of 2 more judges making it a total of 5 judges for title fights and 3 for non title fights and scorecards are totalled and averaged to make the decision..no more 3 scorecards .. just the average of the 3 or 5 judges no more splits. WIn/Lose/draw thats it

Example:
J1 - 50-45 blue corner
J2 48-47 red corner
J3 49-46 blue corner
J4 49-46 red corner
J5. 50-45 blue corner

Final decision : 48.4 to 46.6 Decisive victory Blue corner fighter

3) Judges must be either a past MMA referee,coach , fighter or a mix of the three.No more other sport judges , judges in MMA should come from a stand alone pool of people they allow to train to become judges from the MMA community.( Look at you Sal d'mato and Cecil peoples)

***EDIT #4 ) An overseeing board of officials to oversee licensing of judges and the continual updating and training for existing judges as well as peer reviews for MMA judges to correct inconsistencies or reoccuring problems in a judges body of work...

Credit to @Ozze for the #4 idea

Thoughts and/or concerns?

Should we action this?

Last edited:
Why 5? Leave it to a peoples count! Give each person in a crowd a remote to vote for who they thought won. Fighter A or B!

Pride style judging would be nice though

I'm sure they could use AI , everyone is using it now...why can't the ufc?

The answer is obvious, they won't implement anything of the sort because they don't want a transparent system

but these shills will call you a conspiracy theorist.

The answer is obvious, they won't implement anything of the sort because they don't want a transparent system

Way too easy to control the narrative like it is.

Judges should just award the fight to the fighter they like more.

I feel like the judges usually give the right guy the nod (yes I think Du Plessis won)…

But I think judges need to be able to watch a fight on a monitor. It’s crazy that the people at home have a better view of the fight than the 3 people scoring it…

So much can go wrong during a round that can ruin a scorecard:

- an entire round can be fought on the opposite side of where a judge is seated
- the referee could get in the way of the fighters during key exchanges, obstructing a judge’s’ view
- a fighter can have his back turned to a judge during an exchange so the judge won’t be able to see if a strike lands or not

I feel like a big part of some of the disagreements between judges and fans is that they can’t see what we see, and we can’t see what they see.

If we go to 5 judges then it will be more expensive to hold events. Uncle Dana will raise prices. Dana and the data police will come get you if you don't pay for your PPV's. Everyone will be mad. That is all.

Having former MMA coaches and fighters as the referees might mean the judges are more informed but doesn't necessarily mean they will be more accurate because they will almost definitely be bias

1. Will always say this is a terrible idea. This will not fix anything, you’re giving judges a cop out to not make tough calls and they will take it. Then you’re just going to have even more debate and frustration about it. And then more draws will not lead to more satisfaction, stalling the sport more than it already is.

2. Here’s why this is a bad idea.

Judge 1: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 2: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 3: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 (29-28)
Judge 4: 10-9, 9-10, 9-10 (28-29)
Judge 5: 9-10, 9-10, 9-10 (27-30)

28.4-28.6 is the final score. Fighter B wins despite more judges believing Fighter A won the fight. Fighter A also won rounds 1 and 2 according to majority of judges and had the most judges that saw it the same way. Yet he still loses. You may say this wouldn’t happen much, but any system where this can happen is pretty flawed. And there’s other ways to come to this same outcome, this is just one example. 5 judges isn’t a bad idea though.

3. No issues with this idea.

How is AI transparent?
It would need to be open source software first of all, and then it would still have the same issues with damage vs numbers etc.

Bribes. We should allow the judges to take bribes, that way we can always buy the result we want.

Put the 3 judges on elevated seating at cage side similar to the Umpire in Tennis. At the end of the fight, each has to hold up his scorecard. This should keep them focused on the actual action. It also makes it easier for some fans to associate a bad score with a face in real time.

Have three different style representives of martial arts. 1. Samurai, 1.monk and 1.nerd who knows the computer data. The opinnion and scorecards of these three masters decide who gets the win.

Back