New Video on Explosive Power

If there is no external movement, the entire energy expenditure becomes heat I guess. For as long as you're pushing on, say, a squat but not moving upwards you're just heating the room, then :)

It takes energy to produce muscular tension, even if it all it does is hold something statically, or slow down something's decent. If you want to think of it this way, there's still movement in the actinmyosin filaments inside muscle fibers.

It takes energy to produce muscular tension, even if it all it does is hold something statically, or slow down something's decent. If you want to think of it this way, there's still movement in the actinmyosin filaments inside muscle fibers.

Since all those moving filaments do inside the muscle is generate heat, I believe my statement was entirely correct. They might move, but they don't gain any potential energy past the first few seconds of the lift, right?

For example: if I push on a shoulder press and it's not moving, two things will happen. 1. The muscle will store elastic energy. This happens immediately.
2. Further chemical energy will be expended in order to push the bar upwards. Now, if the muscle has stored all the elastic energy that it can, and the bar isn't taking any energy, where does this chemical energy go? Am i getting hotter whilst I'm pushing? Yes. It becomes heat.

Since all those moving filaments do inside the muscle is generate heat, I believe my statement was entirely correct. They might move, but they don't gain any potential energy past the first few seconds of the lift, right?

For example: if I push on a shoulder press and it's not moving, two things will happen. 1. The muscle will store elastic energy. This happens immediately.
2. Further chemical energy will be expended in order to push the bar upwards. Now, if the muscle has stored all the elastic energy that it can, and the bar isn't taking any energy, where does this chemical energy go? Am i getting hotter whilst I'm pushing? Yes. It becomes heat.

If you want to look at it that way: At the gym I've never lifted something without it coming back down afterwards. So any gain in potential energy is only temporary. So the entire energy expenditure is going to become heat regardless.

1) If you want to use the terms lactic acid and lactate interchangably be my guest. Personally, I like to be accurate in my viewpoint and discussions on exercise physiology, I'm not going to say "lactic acid" when believe, and the research supports, that lactic acid is never even produced in the body. I also disagree that how you view lactate has no practical implications as far as training.

This is still a semantics argument, the measurement and useful indication being the levels of blood lactate in every case. Having said that, I will concede that how you view lactate is important if it means you are going to make a different decision for the athlete’s training after getting an x blood lactate result.

2) I also disagree, as do many other very well known coaches from around the world in many different sports, that the best approach is to just "increase tolerance to lactic acid" or however you want to look at it if improved performance is your goal. This is really older thinking and newer research and plenty of experience is showing this really to only be the most effective approach in very very short events.

I don’t know who you are disagreeing with here. I never said the best approach is to “just increase tolerance to lactic acid”, it was clearly you who added the “just” part. A primary way to avoid fatigue is increase your anaerobic threshold because you’ll get less lactate production at the same level of effort. This has obviously nothing to do with tolerance to acidosis or the intracellular lactate shuttle or lactate oxidization (or whatever mechanisms are indeed in place), which was our argument in the first place.

More and more, we are understanding importance of the aerobic energy system, even in sports that we used to believe were glycolytic in nature. The 400m for by the way, turns out to be somewhere between 40-50% aerobic, depending on which research you look at these days. Even a 100m sprint is 15-20% aerobic! You are totally wrong saying such events are "without significant aerobic involvement"

I've got tons of research on this but you can start here:

Energy system contribution during 200- to 1500-m r... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001] - PubMed result

This is a good point and, to be honest, I was unaware of the specific numbers. Having said that, my thoughts are that the key here is not so much the degree of involvement but more so the degree to which it becomes a deciding factor. Simply put, the degree to which aerobic ability correlates with performance. A 100m sprint has been found to be 20-25% aerobic. Do you suggest that the aerobic system can possibly be a limiting/deciding factor in 100m sprints and thus there might be cases where it needs to be a focal point in training? It sounds really counter-intuitive but I would be willing to listen to your case.

But let me just point out that, here again you are taking a quote of mine ("without significant aerobic involvement") out of context and using it to avoid my argument. You are right, I was wrong when I said 400m is without significant aerobic involvement, but my argument wasn’t that, it was: is the aerobic system the limiting factor and does performance correlate with aerobic capacity?

How about this...

"The aerobic/anaerobic energy system contribution (AOD method) to the 400-m event was calculated as 41/59% (male) and 45/55% (female). For the 800-m event, an increased aerobic involvement was noted with a 60/40% (male) and 70/30% (female) respective contribution. Significant (P < 0.05) negative correlations were noted between race performance and anaerobic energy system involvement (lactate/PCr) for the male 800-m and female 400-m events (r = - 0.77 and - 0.87 respectively). These track running data compare well with previous estimates of the relative energy system contributions to the 400-m and 800-m events. Additionally, the relative importance and speed of interaction of the respective metabolic pathways has implications to training for these events."

This doesn&#8217;t have to do with the ability of the oxidative system to metabolize lactate, this has to do with the fact that a higher relative involvement of the anaerobic system, which would indicate a lower anaerobic threshold, would result in greater lactate accumulation (or, if semantics are an issue, greater PH disturbances). It is interesting to note that, apparently, that was not even an issue yet for 400m performance (at least not in men where the duration is shorter by a few seconds and where the amount of FT fibers may be different). So no real disagreement here either.

Energy system contribution to 400-metre and 800-me... [J Sports Sci. 2005] - PubMed result

RESULTS: The relative contribution of the aerobic energy system to the 200-, 400-, 800-, and 1500-m events was 29+/-4, 43+/-1, 66+/-2, and 84+/-1%+/-SD, respectively. The size of the AOD increased with event duration during the 200-, 400-, and 800-m events (30.4+/-2.3, 41.3+/-1.0, and 48.1+/-4.5 mL x kg(-1), respectively), but no further increase was seen in the 1500-m event (47.1+/-3.8 mL x kg(-1)). The crossover to predominantly aerobic energy system supply occurred between 15 and 30 s for the 400-, 800-, and 1500-m events.

CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that the relative contribution of the aerobic energy system during track running events is considerable and greater than traditionally thought

Or HERE for a good review

Valid point, and thanks for pointing my attention towards this research. Does it have to do with the coach reacting differently to the same blood lactate indications?

There are very few sports out there, even ones people used to believe were primarily anaerobic, that do not rely heavily on oxidative metabolism for performance, for a multitude of reasons.

This concept is not some "big leap of faith" it has been demonstrated over and over again over the last several years in the reserach and discussed by various high level coaches all over the world. Even the late Dr. Verkhoshansky, probably the foremost authority on strength and power development in history, discussed this principle he called "anti-glycolytic finality" in his paper on training for the middle distances. He suggested this approach in distances as short as 200m.

I read his paper on middle distance running. I quote: "To realize this principle [i.e. &#8220;antiglycolytic&#8221; finality] the choice and the organization of loads during the whole process of preparation should be done with the aim to minimize the involvement of the glycolytic mechanism in the energy supplying during the competition distance running." It seems to me he is referring to increasing the AT threshold so there is less lactate production, not to train the aerobic system in order to better metabolize lactate. I never disagreed with this. Am I reading it wrong?

On a note unrelated to our argument, I would be interested to know where does Verkhoshansky suggest this approach for 200m sprinters. I guess it would make some sense, although performance improvement might be too minor to be significant (remember, there was no correlation with the degree of anaerobic involvement in 400m). I would appreciate pointing me to your source.

I would say focusing training primarily to improve glycolytic capacity is only applicable in very short single bout events lasting 30 seconds or less. Other than that, it has limited usefulness because this type of training will reduce mitochondria in the working muscles and in events of greater duration this is not what you want. A much better strategy is to develop a bigger aerobic engine so that anaerobic metabolism can contribute for longer without leading to fatigue.

It is a parallel strategy. Whether it is a much better one or not really depends from the event. Again, didn&#8217;t disagree with this.

My experience training top level MMA fighters for the past 7 years also supports what the research shows. I only do very limited amounts of focused glycoltyic work with any fighter who will be fighting 5 minute rounds.

"And even if one were to agree with that (which I clearly don't), you are also saying that, to train the mitochondria's capacity to handle lactate, you need to train aerobically (where they would get zero exposure to lactate, so there would be no reason for such an adaptation)"

I have no idea why in the world you believe that mitochondria don't oxidize lactate as part of aerobic metabolic processes, you're very mistaken here. Lactate production occurs throughout almost all ranges of aerobic energy production, it is just oxidized at the same rate as production and thus there is no net accumulation. The lactate threshold itself is typically defined as accumulation above 4mmol /L, which makes it obvious there is plenty of lactate being oxidized well below that. You need to look more thoroughly at how energy systems work.

Where did I say mitochondria don&#8217;t oxidize lactate? I agree that saying &#8220;zero exposure in aerobic circumstances&#8221; was not correct, I should have said &#8220;no major exposure&#8221;. Again, you stick to semantics instead of responding to the point, which was that it makes sense for this adaptation to occur when there actually is a significant (comparable to the actual event) amount lactate production going on, otherwise they wouldn&#8217;t need to adapt for that function (wouldn&#8217;t increase the appropriate enzymes and so on).

In red.

Last edited:
EZA, I'm happy to have you here and happy to discuss with you. Your post was a really good and informative one and made this a much better thread, thanks for that. There was hardly anything in there that I disagreed with (other than interpretations of small details, really).

But I do need to point out is that you consistently disagreed with things I didn't say and attacked isolated phrases without addressing the main points. That reminds me of the good old "disagree with something your opponent didn't say and prove that the thing your opponent didn't say is wrong" debating strategy.

Miaou,

I appreciate your thoughtful and extensive reply to my points. Here's a few more things to take into consideration as far as this discussion goes:

1) Increasing anaerobic threshold doesn't necessarily mean you'll get less lactate production at a given level of effort, it just means you'll have less accumulation. This is because accumulation is obviously the difference between the rate of production and the rate of oxidation and part of increasing the threshold, or even more so a part of increasing power at anaerobic threshold, comes from this increased rate of oxidation, which largely results from a bigger aerobic engine.

So when you say this has nothing to do with lactate oxidation or lactate shuttle or that it has nothing to do with the original argument, I don't believe you are seeing the whole picture here. Accumulation and prodution of lactate are two different things and you can't just measure accumulation as production, it's not that simple.

In regards to the 400m and the premise in general, my answer is that yes of course the aerobic system can most certainly be a limiting factor if you understand that its involvement allows for greater anaerobic energy production without fatigue. A lower level of aerobic function means you will fatigue faster for a given level of anaerobic contribution so of course it can be a limiting factor. Not to mention if it's responsible for 40-50% of the energy production itself, of course it plays a huge role in performance, and that's an even that last only 40 or so seconds. The longer the duration the greater the role becomes.

If you're talking about something like a 100m sprint and such short events, then the role of the oxidative system is cerrtainly much less no doubt. Without getting into a whole other discussion, however, I will say that the speed of relaxation phase is somewhat dependent on mitochondria within the working muscles and the best sprinters in the world tend to have a better aerobic system than people would think because speed of the relaxation phase is absolutely critical to overall speed. Contractile velocity is only one half the equation.

You also can't tell the whole story of the correlation between aerobic power/fitness and performance in such events just by looking at the % contribution from the research. You'd have to look at definitive markers of the subjects aerobic energy production and correlate those values to performance, which was not done in the study. The main point that can be made is simply that the oxidative system plays a large role in energy production even in short duration events, certainly a far greater role than you implied. Whether or not this percentage directly correlater is secondary to the level of aerobic fitness correlating to performance and I've seen plenty of other research and my own experience demonstrates there is a very strong positive correlation between the two.

Verkhoshansky was referring not just to raising the anaerobic threshold, but rather to raising the power at anaerobic threshold. The threshold number itself is of much less importance than how much power you produce at it (although ANT is not really a number but rather a range in reality) and the athlete who produces greater power at threshold will beat an athlete who produces less power regardless of where their threshold may actually be.

Verkhoshansky was simply referring to the principle of increasing power at threshold, not just the threshold itself. Again, it's not that is less lactate production, just less accumluation because of the increased rate of oxidation. I'll have to dig around to remember where the discussion regarding distances as short as 200m were, it may have been in some personal correspondence I had with him or in an article I had translated, I'll have to look around for that.

As for your last point, again I think you are once again confusing production with accumulation. The maximum rate of lactate oxidation is going to occur right around threshold, as above that range and the rate of production exceeds rate of oxidation and obviously that's why there is accumulation.

This maximum rate of oxidation is the stimulus for mitochondrial adaptation, not being exposed to massive levels higher than that. In fact, driving lactate levels extremely high and creating a very acidic/hypoxic cellular environment decreases mitochondrial density, not the other way around. If you're trying to increase the rate of oxidation, then obviously the best stimulus for this is training to that point, which is going to be right around where the threshold range is.

The mistake I think you are making in general is looking at accumulation of lactate as the only marker for production when this is just not how it works. There is plenty of lactate production well before that, just not accumulation because the rate of oxidation is equal to production. You have to look at both production and oxidation and the balance between the two, not just one or the other. I think you are also confusing anaerobic threshold with power output at anaerobic threshold, and these are two independent variables.

I'm happy to discuss these issues and debate points I do not agree with, but I don't think what I'm saying in relation to your points is just a matter of semantics. Calling something lactate or lactic acid is a point of accuracy, not just semantics just because the correlation may be the same regardless of the term used. Lactate and lactic acid are different substances entirely, one is a salt and one is an acid. You can't use things interchangeably just because you don't think it matters what you call it.

It's also not just there is "no major exposure" to lacate either, because there is. You seem to be stating and believe that production only occurs at high levels at threshold and beyond, but this is clearly not the case and far more than a matter of semantics. If this is not what you are saying then please feel free to clarify. I think that this an area you would be well served to further research.

Last edited:
EZA, thanks for your reply. I will follow up with an answer to your post tomorrow.

EZA, I'm happy to have you here and happy to discuss with you. Your post was a really good and informative one and made this a much better thread, thanks for that. There was hardly anything in there that I disagreed with (other than interpretations of small details, really).

But I do need to point out is that you consistently disagreed with things I didn't say and attacked isolated phrases without addressing the main points. That reminds me of the good old "disagree with something your opponent didn't say and prove that the thing your opponent didn't say is wrong" debating strategy.

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to look at it that way: At the gym I've never lifted something without it coming back down afterwards. So any gain in potential energy is only temporary. So the entire energy expenditure is going to become heat regardless.

This is true - I was only referring to what happens in the seconds where you push on a weight and it doesn't budge. Generally speaking, I think it's safe to say that the net mechanical energy of a gym is zero.

This is true - I was only referring to what happens in the seconds where you push on a weight and it doesn't budge. Generally speaking, I think it's safe to say that the net mechanical energy of a gym is zero.

Contributing only to entropy, and the eventual heat death of the universe...

...well that and becoming more awesome.

I guess it would be possible to build a gym with only machines hooked up to generators... and some barbells. Let the disco kids power the lights for the rest of us :icon_chee

Miaou,

I appreciate your thoughtful and extensive reply to my points. Here's a few more things to take into consideration as far as this discussion goes:

1) Increasing anaerobic threshold doesn't necessarily mean you'll get less lactate production at a given level of effort, it just means you'll have less accumulation. This is because accumulation is obviously the difference between the rate of production and the rate of oxidation and part of increasing the threshold, or even more so a part of increasing power at anaerobic threshold, comes from this increased rate of oxidation, which largely results from a bigger aerobic engine.

I disagree that &#8220;Increasing anaerobic threshold doesn't necessarily mean you'll get less lactate production at a given level of effort&#8221;. Actually, it quite necessarily means you&#8217;ll get less lactate production at that level. If the rate of lactate oxidation increases, then the energy produced at the mitochondria increases, which means the relative involvement of the aerobic system increases, which means the relative involvement of the anaerobic system decreases. At a given level of output, more energy is produced by the aerobic system and less by the anaerobic system, which means there is less lactate production.

Of course, an increased anaerobic threshold, or rather increased power at anaerobic threshold (which was a good point or yours), wouldn&#8217;t just mean increased lactate oxidization. But, any way you cut it, a bigger aerobic engine means lower anaerobic involvement, thus lower lactate production.

So when you say this has nothing to do with lactate oxidation or lactate shuttle or that it has nothing to do with the original argument, I don't believe you are seeing the whole picture here. Accumulation and prodution of lactate are two different things and you can't just measure accumulation as production, it's not that simple.

I said that a primary way is to increase the AT (power production at the AT is more accurate, as you mentioned) to lower the lactate production, and lowering lactate production has nothing to do with lactate oxidization or the ion shuttle (I&#8217;ll just refer to this as &#8220;lactate buffering&#8221; from now on). You are indeed correct when you say that another way might be to lower lactate accumulation by increased lactate buffering.

In regards to the 400m and the premise in general, my answer is that yes of course the aerobic system can most certainly be a limiting factor if you understand that its involvement allows for greater anaerobic energy production without fatigue. A lower level of aerobic function means you will fatigue faster for a given level of anaerobic contribution so of course it can be a limiting factor. Not to mention if it's responsible for 40-50% of the energy production itself, of course it plays a huge role in performance, and that's an even that last only 40 or so seconds. The longer the duration the greater the role becomes.

The statement &#8220;A lower level of aerobic function means you will fatigue faster for a given level of anaerobic contribution so of course it can be a limiting factor.&#8220; is not self-explanatory and requires evidence to prove it. I&#8217;ll be entirely happy to concede this point if you can provide evidence showing consistently significant correlation of aerobic capacity to performance (as I mentioned in my first post).

If you're talking about something like a 100m sprint and such short events, then the role of the oxidative system is cerrtainly much less no doubt. Without getting into a whole other discussion, however, I will say that the speed of relaxation phase is somewhat dependent on mitochondria within the working muscles and the best sprinters in the world tend to have a better aerobic system than people would think because speed of the relaxation phase is absolutely critical to overall speed. Contractile velocity is only one half the equation.

This is an interesting point. So do you suggest that the aerobic system can possibly be a limiting/deciding factor in 100m sprints?

Verkhoshansky was referring not just to raising the anaerobic threshold, but rather to raising the power at anaerobic threshold. The threshold number itself is of much less importance than how much power you produce at it (although ANT is not really a number but rather a range in reality) and the athlete who produces greater power at threshold will beat an athlete who produces less power regardless of where their threshold may actually be.

Verkhoshansky was simply referring to the principle of increasing power at threshold, not just the threshold itself. Again, it's not that is less lactate production, just less accumluation because of the increased rate of oxidation. I'll have to dig around to remember where the discussion regarding distances as short as 200m were, it may have been in some personal correspondence I had with him or in an article I had translated, I'll have to look around for that.

Yes, the principle of increasing power, rather than just the threshold itself, is a valid point. Verkhoshansky argues that a part of this procedure would include pure strength training in order to increase both explosive strength and local muscular endurance, and thus make the relative effort a lower percentage of max (strength-wise). But I think you are not seeing the whole picture when you state it is &#8220;just less accumulation because of the increased rate of oxidation&#8221;. If &#8220;a part of increasing power at anaerobic threshold, comes from this increased rate of oxidation&#8221;, as you yourself said, then that means a higher relative aerobic contribution and a lower relative anaerobic contribution, thus a lower lactate production (as well as accumulation) for the same level of power production.

So I&#8217;m not saying you are mistaken by saying that the increased rate of lactate oxidation results in a decreased accumulation by affecting the [lactate produced - lactate oxidized] equation. I am saying you are missing the whole picture by not realizing that, for a given total energy output, this very procedure also affects how much lactate is produced in the first place.

If you are able to find that source, I&#8217;d be interesting in hearing how that point was explained.

As for your last point, again I think you are once again confusing production with accumulation. The maximum rate of lactate oxidation is going to occur right around threshold, as above that range and the rate of production exceeds oxidation and obviously that's why a big part of why there is accumulation.

This maximum rate of oxidation is the stimulus for mitochondrial adaptation, not being exposed to massive levels higher than that. In fact, driving lactate levels extremely high and creating a very acidic/hypoxic cellular environment decreases mitochondrial density, not the other way around. If you're trying to increase the rate of oxidation, then obviously the best stimulus for this is training to that point, which is going to be right around where the threshold range is.

I concede this point. You are right, threshold training is indeed aerobic training and it does expose the mitochondria to maximum rate of lactate oxidization. My mistake was that when I initially mentioned "to train aerobically" in my first post, I didn't think specifically of threshold training (which I should).

The mistake I think you are making in general is looking at accumulation of lactate as the only marker for production when this is just not how it works. There is plenty of lactate production well before that, just not accumulation because the rate of oxidation is equal to production. You have to look at both production and oxidation and the balance between the two, not just one or the other. I think you are also confusing anaerobic threshold with power output at anaerobic threshold, and these are two independent variables.

I agree with this point. But I think it&#8217;s this very thing that you overlooked in your arguments.

I'm happy to discuss these issues and debate points I do not agree with, but I don't think what I'm saying in relation to your points is just a matter of semantics. Calling something lactate or lactic acid is a point of accuracy, not just semantics just because the correlation may be the same regardless of the term used. Lactate and lactic acid are different substances entirely, one is a salt and one is an acid. You can't use things interchangeably just because you don't think it matters what you call it.

I'm also happy to discuss with you. For an answer to this point, please see the next post.

It's also not just there is "no major exposure" to lacate either, because there is. You seem to be stating and believe that production only occurs at high levels at threshold and beyond, but this is clearly not the case and far more than a matter of semantics. If this is not what you are saying then please feel free to clarify. I think that this an area you would be well served to further research.

Already conceded and clarified.

Red.

Last edited:
I was careful to specifically (and repeatedly) say it is a matter of semantics for all practical purposes (in another post I said "in practical terms"). We are now discussing the actual physiological mechanisms, so yes, in our current discussion semantics is definitely important. But your saying
"Calling something lactate or lactic acid is a point of accuracy, not just semantics just because the correlation may be the same regardless of the term used. Lactate and lactic acid are different substances entirely, one is a salt and one is an acid."
is again creating a straw man (thanks PH!). I agree with you that lactate and lactic acid are different substances. I never said they the same, I said the two terms can be used interchangeably for all practical purposes, and those two propositions are different.

But, in practical terms, whether you call it lactate or lactic acid is of no consequence to the coach. Even whether increasing the relative aerobic contribution increases the time to exhaustion by lowering the lactate production, increasing the lactate oxidation, or both at the same time, is of no practical importance to the performance coach. If the athlete&#8217;s blood lactate levels at a given level of effort/power production are too high, he will try to improve his anaerobic systems so that this level of effort becomes a lower level of relative effort (in relation to his max) and at the same time he will try to maximize the relative aerobic contribution, which produces no PH changes in the muscle cell (and this is the principle of &#8220;antiglycolytic&#8221; finality that you mentioned). He doesn't care whether this produces less lactate or oxidizes more, he cares that less lactate (or ions or whatever!) is accumulated.

Simply put, the performance coach will work on building a strength and aerobic systems foundation, then proceed to work on event-specific muscular endurance/power production in a periodized manner (I&#8217;m not including technical/tactical work here). According to the athlete's ergometric (as well as practical performance) indications and how they respond to training, he will adjust the periodization plan and shift his focus from one point to another.

Last edited:
It appears you genuinely do not understand the distinction in training approaches I am discussing here based on this entire discussion. Your fundamental argument is basically that it doesn't matter if you understand how the physiology works or doesn't work because the coach should train their athlete the same regardless of if he understands what's going on or not.

You say this, yet seem to have somehow missed the entire point that it does, in fact, matter how you look at lactate production, oxidation, aerobic contribution in short events, etc. because it provides the support for a completely different approach to training than what you are saying.

I'm not quite sure why you don't understand there is a huge fundamental difference between training to improve anaerobic capacity/power and training to improve aerobic power and aerobic contribution to energy production and the two are different traning strategies on many levels. You can't train both at the same time and the degree to which each one is important depends on the energy demands of the sport.

"If the athlete&#8217;s blood lactate levels at a given level of effort/power production are too high, he will try to improve his anaerobic systems so that this level of effort becomes a lower level of relative effort (in relation to his max) and at the same time he will try to maximize the relative aerobic contribution, which produces no PH changes in the muscle cell (and this is the principle of &#8220;antiglycolytic&#8221; finality that you mentioned). He doesn't care whether this produces less lactate or oxidizes more, he cares that less lactate (or ions or whatever!) is accumulated."

So the answer is to improve anaerobic system while at the same time maximizing aerobic contribution? It would be very nice if it were that easy, but the problem you obviously don't understand, is that to improve anaerobic systems, at least the glycolytic side of things, you have to do a lot of lactic work, which drives lactate levels very high and creates more glycolytic tissue, increases glycolytic enzymes and reduces mitochondria, the rate of lactate oxidation, and thus aerobic contribution as a whole goes down. Athletes with well developed lactic systems at a high level produce far more lactate than those on a lower level and can tolerate blood lactate levels far higher than lower level athletes in the same sport. They don't produce less, they produce more.

In order to improve aerobic power, on the other hand, you have to train to improve maximum rate of oxygen delivery and lactate oxidation and create more oxidative tissue, higher levels of oxidative enzymes, etc. You don't seem to get training one has an impact on the other and you can't improve both to a high level at the same time.

Traditionally, many coaches have taken the approach in events thought to be primarily anaerobic, which reserach has since shown them not to be, to try to improve anaerobic capacity to improve performance. Training like this leads to greater anaerobic power, more lactate production, lower lactate oxidation, higher lactate accumulation, and lower overall aerobic contributions.

If the event is short enough then this can be the correct approach because it results in greater power output, but in longer events the tradeoff is that it leads to fatigue much faster as well. In such cases, the answer is to develop very high levels of aerobic power so that the anaerobic systems can contribute longer without fatigue. Training for this approach is very different than in the first case and you don't seem to get this very basic point or the distinction between the two.

You absolutely cannot "improve his anaerobic systems....and at the same time try to maximize his aerobic contribution" because that's just not how the body works. When you stimulate the adaptations necessary for the first one, you are inherently lowering the contributions of the other one. Only in very low level athletes can you improve both oxidative and glycolytic systems at the same time.

There will always be a trade off between power and endurance, that's just the way it is. You cannot develop massive levels of anaerobic power and aerobic power at the same time. Which one you decide to improve has a direct impact on the other one and on the balance between aerobic and anaerobic energy production.

I'm also not sure why you don't get that the aerobic contribution to overall energy production has a HUGE impact on how you should be training, just as understanding how lactate production/oxidation works. It does make a practical difference to the coach and dicates the correct training strategy entirely.

There is not just some universal training strategy to improve the anaerobic systems while maximizing aerobic contribution, it's not that simple. It's like saying "just train to get very strong and explosive while maximizing endurance." Obviously that is the goal, but there is a fundamental tradeoff between the two and you have to understand where the balance needs to be and have the correct training strategy to achieve it. A large part of being able to do this comes from understanding the underlying physiology and energy system production/demands of the sport you're training for, and part of this is understanding whether it's lactate or lactic acid and how the production/oxidation/accumulation of either one relate to fatigue, so on a practical level, it does matter.

Last edited:
It appears you insist on refuting superficially similar yet unequivalent propositions to the ones I make.

Your entire post is based on the premise of refuting the proposition: training to maximize strength and to maximize endurance at the same time. But then again, I didn't really say that, did I? I am aware of the dynamic relationship of the two, the tradeoff that needs to be taken into account when setting goals, the need to put a different percentage of focus on each of these systems depending on the specific event, and the need to work in a periodized manner to achieve the best final results in both. You aren't telling me anything new here.

I said that the coach "will try to improve his anaerobic systems...and at the same time he will try to maximize the relative aerobic contribution", I didn't say he will maximize both, neither did I say he will train both maximally at the same time. By saying "try to improve x and at the same time y" I didn't comment on the training methods to be followed and didn't say he will actually train them both maximally at the same time (saying "he will try to improve x and at the same time y" isn't equivalent to saying "he will train x at the same time as y", and both maximally at that!). The amount of focus on each goal depends on the specific needs of the event as well as the current condition (and needs) of the specific athlete, and the periodization followed depends on the competitive schedule as well as the athlete's level.

If the event is short enough then this can be the correct approach because it results in greater power output, but in longer events the tradeoff is that it leads to fatigue much faster as well. In such cases, the answer is to develop very high levels of aerobic power so that the anaerobic systems can contribute longer without fatigue.

You seem to make a clear distinction between events where the correct approach is to improve anaerobic capacity and to events where the correct approach is to develop aerobic power. I strongly disagree (and actually, this is more the way of the past, where coaches would choose one or the other strategy). In most cases, both strategies are to be used at the same time, the amount of focus on anaerobic power output, anaerobic muscular endurance and aerobic power will being different according to the event. You can't say that in longer events "the answer is to develop very high levels of aerobic power" without adding in something about the anaerobic system depending on the event. Would you say that the answer for a 400m runner is aerobic power and no local muscular endurance training (which is of anaerobic nature) and explosive strength work?

I'm also not sure why you don't get that the % of aerobic contribution to overall energy production has a HUGE impact on how you should be training, just as understanding how lactate production/oxidation works. It does make a practical difference to the coach and dicates the correct training strategy entirely.

The percentage of aerobic contribution in a specific event isn't enough info to deduct if, in an event like 400m (where it is 40-45%), it can be the deciding factor and thus merits the greatest focus (or the only focus, if the previous paragraph I quoted was accurate). The aerobic contribution in 100m is 20-25%, but it obviously isn't the deciding factor. In order to pinpoint the degree of involvement where it can indeed become the deciding factor, you need to correlate it with performance.

I said it in my very first post of this argument and I will repeat it yet again, if you can provide evidence for the above I will concede this point. I'm not sure why you don't understand that, unless you can correlate it with performance, 20%, 30% or 40% contribution are just random numbers.

Also, since you left a couple of points of my last post unaddressed, I assume you are willing to concede those.

Last edited:
EZA, you are well respected here and you obviously have great knowledge and great experience on this subject. I myself respect you and I am not pretending to have nearly as good knowledge on it as yourself.

Having said that, I find it very hard to believe that your consistent misinterpreting my propositions is accidental. We agree on most things, but you insist on disproving things I didn't actually say. I am starting to think you are interested in winning an online argument for publicity reasons, rather than genuinely interested in conducting an actual discussion. I also think that the few errors (besides all the straw-men) in your posts are not because of you being ignorant on this subject, but they are because you are hard-pressed to find things to disagree on in order to prove yourself the "winner".

Last edited:
He can do whatever he wants. He's Joel Jamieson.

Advertise, link to and promote his forums, no big deal.

The rules are actually only the rules for the meager, normal posters.

winner1.jpg

Back