New Video on Explosive Power

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by EZA, Oct 21, 2010.

1. EZA

EZA Joel Jamieson

In anticipation of my upcoming DVD release on Explosive Power for Combat Sports, I've just posted a new 15 minute free video on the subject. It's the first of a 2 part series I'm putting out to clear up a lot of the myths and confusion surrounding power.

In this first video, I discuss what strength and power really are and how they are related to one another. I'll tell you how important max strength is, or isn't, and how explosive power relates to combat sports. In the 2nd video I'm going to discuss what most people are doing wrong in their training and exactly how to improve explosive power most effectively

You can check out the video at combatsportspower.com and it's free, you'll just need to enter your name and email to watch the video.

The second video will be posted next week, make sure to check it out

combatsportspower.com

Joel

2. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

EZA, I'm being totally serious and trying to be helpful, so please don't take this the wrong way:

When people see websites set up in this format...
    THEY TEND TO RUN THE OTHER WAY
    Why? Because we are so familiar with scams, ridiculous bodyweight-only training methods, and top secret special forces fighting techniques marketed this way.
    I would suggest...
      • Using a different layout
      • ...to differentiate yourself
      • ...from all of the crap out there
      • I know you're legit, but people will make judgments.

Again, I am sincerely trying to be helpful, so please do not take offense.

3. Endo

Endo o hai!

^^^ Yeah, I definitely got the same vibe. Professionalism works wonders in comparison to flashiness...

4. EZA

EZA Joel Jamieson

XTrainer,

Without turning this thread into a big debate on marketing tactics, let me say that I understand completely where you are coming from and appreciate the feedback. I get hit up with the same BS over and over again too and generally avoid it.

The reality, however, is that you might think such style websites don't work and people will run the other way when they see them, but all the most successful marketers out there use the same style for a reason: because they've been tested over and over again and they work the best.

Why do you think people selling totally BS products all use that same style? Because it is the most effective and they are even able to sell terrible products very successfully while using it.

Do I understand the exact psychology of the whole thing? No, I just know that when people test that style of website compared to more straightforward "professional" approach, the flashier more bold sales pitch type sites do far better every single time. It's not even close.

You'd also think the super long sales letter type sites would do terrible when trying to sell products because who wants to read all that crap? Well, apparently plenty of people do read all that crap, or maybe they don't who knows, but long copy sales letters far outperform shorter simpler ones every single time.

Don't ask me why, but a lot of what you think would be common sense when it comes to marketing just doesn't turn out to be true. If I were to get rid of the bold headline and everything else and just have a "hey this is who I am, check out my new video" type of site, response would go way down I can guarantee it.

In the end, personally I think the content I deliver and information I provide is the best marketing tool regardless. I sell a ton of books and it's all basically on word of mouth because I really don't do much of anything to market it. The rest of the flashy bold headlines and everything else is just what it takes to get people to look at your content.

5. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

Why do you need my name and e-mail?

Edit: About the marketing, you're right, it probably is the most effective method. But the real question is, what demographic are you aiming to appeal to? This one won't appeal to people with a strict scamometer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  6. DeathAndHealing

DeathAndHealing White Belt

"Why do you need my name and e-mail? "

Its a marketing scheme. People give out free information UNTIL they build a email/subscriber base and start sending out emails with material you either have to pay for or buy a product, each time a person buys something from a paid email they net a small profit. The bigger the base, the larger the chance they will buy something.

ex. You have a subscriber base of 1000, 10 people might buy a product.
    ex. You have a base of 10,000, 100 people might buy your product.

Welcome to the wasteland the internet has turned into.

7. EZA

EZA Joel Jamieson

Justice 4 All,

Name and email is required for obvious reasons, to follow up. I'll be posting a 2nd and 3rd video and then releasing my DVD. Obviously I want to let people know when these are available. It takes 2 seconds to unsubscribe from someone's list if you think they are sending you BS and trying to scam and/or spam. I rarely send more than a couple of emails a month to people on my list and am certainly not a scammer or spammer.

People with a strict "scammoter" probably aren't likely to opt-in to anything regardless, regardless of what your site copy does or doesn't say. Regardless, I think it's quality of content and the feedback and word of mouth that really makes or breaks the whole thing anyway.

If my videos suck and don't provide any useful info and/or was some kind of BS scam, people would post that on here and obviously people would be less likely to check them out. If they are good and provide solid information, people will post that on here as well. This is why I think everything else is secondary to the content and quality of information you provide and I don't think anyone will question how much good quality information I provide all the time.

The internet is basically just a reflection of the real world when it comes to sales, it's nothing revolutionary or new. Yes, DeathAndHealing has it right. You offer free information, you build a list of people, and then you offer those people products. It's the exact same thing you do if you have a store. You advertise and put out ads and whatever else and try to get people to come into your store, and then you try to sell them something.

Well online there is no real store, so you provide free information to let them know who you are and what you have to offer and then you offer your products. They either buy or they don't. Regardless, you get a ton of garbage junk mail in your mailbox every day just like you get hit up for products/services online constantly. It's all the same thing, just a different medium.

Personally, I try to provide as much free information that's high quality as possible and I don't do it just for sales, but because I think the information needs to be out there. I spend hours posting on my own site and answer questions all day long. Some people's information is better than others, just like some stores offer good products and some are garbage. I think anyone who has read my book and is a member of my site will attest to what kind of information I provide.

In the end, it is what it is. The internet is one gigantic sales pitch and a place to see what your friends are doing all the time and that's about it.

8. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

You don't hang out in this sub-forum much do you?

9. DeathAndHealing

DeathAndHealing White Belt

10. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

For those who don't pay much attention to the stickies, EZA started the conditioning one.

11. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

It has to do with the fact that EZA is a very well respected poster here. He is legit, and if you had spent any time in this forum at all (or read the stickies), you would know that.

12. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

I'vej ust fnishied it. Its alright. One disagreement is you differentiate between RFD and Power, when physics says they are the same. You also say RFD has no correlation to max strenght, which I think is also incorrect.

Also, a punch would not have a lower force compared to the bench press because of impulse, a force is generated from a change in momentum in a small amount of time. Like using a pencil to gently push a sheet of paper as opposed to rapidly poking it, which tears the paper.

For a conversation topic, I feel like the endurance part would be taken up by the slow twitch fibers, which wouldn't create lactic acid since you're not using your fast twitch fibers (assuming lactic acid is created when only fast twitch fibers are fatigued and not slow twitch). IN order to train your slow twitch fibers to exert that amount of force (to be able to fight effectively and hit hard enough) and not lose your fast-twitch knockout capability, you'd have to train your limit strength to a high level.

Its still informative.

13. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

The internet is a giant market place, and I understand that. In economics we have a saying, "there is no such thing as a free lunch", one way or another you or someone else is paying for whatever commodity you have. The only thing that hasn't been made into a trade-able commodity is air, although I have heard stories about oxygen booths in Mexico City :p.

I was just making a comment on the format and what impression it gives out to some random person who stumbled upon the page, or was forwarded there.

I do not believe you are a scammer EZA.

14. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

I believe they are, in fact, different things. There was a large thread on RFD a while back that discussed this, I will edit in the link momentarily.

Edit: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/rate-force-development-1271981/

15. EZA

EZA Joel Jamieson

A) Power and RFD are not the same, as I said in the video their relationship depends on the time period you're looking at. The relationship between RFD and power over an entire fight is a totally different thing than looking at a few seconds or a single effort. If you really want to get into the actual relationship on a physics level I'll be happy to, but I doubt most people really care to look at the equations. It's also well known that max strength and RFD are not that closely related, this is a very well understood principle and demonstrated in countless studies. That's why the speed of unweighted movements has little correlation to max strength.

If you think a punch wouldn't have a lower force than a 225lb bench press you're completely missing the M in the F=MA. What I showed in the video was a direct measurement of force using an accelerometer between the two. We're not talking about the force imparted on the object, we're looking at the force being exerted ON the object. The force transmitted to what was hit is an entire different discussion and you have to look at the integral of the force time curve to get the impulse.

There is also no such thing as lactic acid in the human body and limit strength has very little if anything to do with knockout ability. How much limit strength do you think Chuck Liddel or Anderson Silva has exactly?

16. milano

milano I am the Walrus

I don't think you people realize who Joel Jamieson is (one of the best strength and conditioning coaches around), just watch the video.

17. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

This depends of the speed / length of time of the movement being considered. If we were to compare RFD in someone throwing a javelin, compared to a shotput, we wouldn't see a strong correlation between the RFD of the person throwing the javelin and max strength, but we would see a strong correlation for the person throwing the shot put.

18. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

I'm not so advanced as to want to talk about the physics too much. I still don't understand the difference you're trying to show with the punch v bench press, since the punch is being accelerated, unless you're talking about the minimal amount of force needed to throw a punch, meaning its not a very fast punch.

On the subject of limit strength, Liddel or Silva probably don't have a tremendous limit strength, and I should have explained further that it is probably their RFD that is responsible for their knock-outs. My argument is there is a limit to your Force Rate that you can reach with a given limit strength. And, if you do endurance training, your Force Rate will be diminished. Then the athletes dilemma (which you will probably address in the next vid) is how to balance the two.

Thats an interesting point on lactic acid, I didn't know that.

19. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

20. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

EZA, I didn't mean to hijack your thread by spurring a discussion on marketing. If you want me to delete this thread so you can start a new one, or delete posts here, let me know.

Anyways, if we are talking about marketing, I have no doubt that the aforementioned form must work to some extent--because it is so widespread--but I gotta believe there is a better way, one that doesn't involve associating yourself (if only by appearance) with so much garbage.

But, maybe I don't know jack about marketing.