New BJJ Blue Belt vs National Champ Judo Black Belt?

man, that's crazy. I couldn't imagine knowing my opponent so far ahead of time like that.

I am a nutjob and would totally ruin myself picking apart dudes without ever even seeing them play.. :)

and for the record, the first 30 seconds of your match should look just like this (if you follow my advice)

this was from the Budweiser Cup in Charlotte about a year ago. He is a Division 1 All American and I'm not a wrestler.

If you watch until the end (a mildly boring fight) you'll see me get my back taken and my ribs broken. Hopefully it works out better for you than me :D

Last edited:
Forget the grips, flop guard and butt scoot

Man, I would love to see how he reacts to this :)

Again, if he's never done BJJ and has an "honorary" blue belt because of his Judo background then I can imagine this giving him fits.

and for the record, the first 30 seconds of your match should look just like this (if you follow my advice)

this was from the Budweiser Cup in Charlotte about a year ago. He is a Division 1 All American and I'm not a wrestler.

If you watch until the end (a mildly boring fight) you'll see me get my back taken and my ribs broken. Hopefully it works out better for you than me :D

That was some funny shit. You chase his ass!

The person refereeing the match is my instructor.

did that guy get docked anything for running dis-engaging from the fight?

just play your game, you are a blue belt and he a national champ black belt in judo. You have nothing to loose.
I reckon nefti is right here, I was going to say the same.

Everyone is saying "pull guard" but pulling guard is not a "get out of jail free" card if it is not done properly and you have no plan or strategy after this. I would just look at how you can adjust your existing style, rather than try something new. If you are comfortable with pulling guard safely and playing x-guard then sure - go for it!

If you DO shoot, do it early. Make it aggressive, driving and low - but don't sit there after a failed shoot just hanging onto the leg unless you are hugging everything tight with knees squeezed.

Keep calm, don't be intimidated. Good luck!

Rod1, normally I agree with most of your posts, but here goes...

On wrestling vs judo in a gi match it depends, at low levels wrestlers do very good because at low levels there is little grip fighting and footwork, they play like if it was early 1900s judo. When they actually fight someone who fights grips and moves, its ugly seeing how wrestlers lose.

I think it depends on the wrestler. If you're fighting a tap and shoot wrestler, yeah, he's toast. If you are talking about a wrestler with a crazy clinch/greco game, then nope. Once we learn to use and defend grips we're a problem for even high level judoka. At least this has been my personal experience.

Basically get on grip and start moving, they fall alone.
lol, yeah that happened a few times... :redface: till I learned to deal with grips a little bit. Now it's a diff game.

judoka will most likely have the superior TDD in any sport. This may change with new rules though.

I'm gonna have to say no. We deal with many of the same throws and a higher level and more diversified series of leg takedowns with more counters and techniques to use from a sprawl.

Its a lot like gi and no-gi, sure a no-gi man will be better than gi in a no gi match, but the gi man will probably be able to escape and defend easily.

At the end of the day, wrestling = judo, both are great sister arts and I believe it will really just boil down to gi/nogi.

damn.... tough go there my man. you had him off his base floating early on in the match for a second, I seriously though you were going to sweep him.

but, my question is about 2:30, if that was not a pass, what exactly was going on there from a bjj points perspective? was it a backtake instead? what did you say in protest to correct the individual who called for a pass? sorry for all the questions, bjj rules mess me up sometimes.

damn.... tough go there my man. you had him off his base floating early on in the match for a second, I seriously though you were going to sweep him.

but, my question is about 2:30, if that was not a pass, what exactly was going on there from a bjj points perspective? was it a backtake instead? what did you say in protest to correct the individual who called for a pass? sorry for all the questions, bjj rules mess me up sometimes.

Thanks for watching the video guys.

The game plan was just to get him to the ground, I didnt care what position I got him in as long as it was on the ground. I knew I couldnt hang wrestling wise.

That was not a pass because he did not stabilize in side control or another dominate position. When he started to pass I bellied down, and went to turtle. Thus no points.

In order for him to get the back points he needs to get both hooks in (meaning having both heals on the inside of my hips. He later does this and gets his four points although it was a good bit after I argued with the guy on the sidelines.

In retrospect I took this math a little to lightly. I moved up two weight classes to fight in this division because Monson was supposed to be there. At the last second Monson didnt show and I was stuck in the division. I should have been more concerned with what my opponent was doing to me and less concerned with what the guy on the sidelines was saying. Especially considering the guy that was reffing my fight (Gumby) is a quality referee and I dont have to worry about him giving bullshit points.

did that guy get docked anything for running dis-engaging from the fight?

No he didnt, but if he had kept it up I'm sure that he would have.

A lot of people that flop guard just sit and wait for the standing opponent to engage. That can be boring and lead to a lot of stalling from both parties. There can be no stalling in the way that I flop guard.

Just make sure that you have contact after the hand shake before you sit on your ass or a good referee will stand you up. As you can see as soon as my fingertips touch him I flop to my butt. If my opponent had been paying attention he would have made contact first with an initiated shot and even if I flopped guard they would have given him the points (you cant pull guard mid takedown to defend the takedown)

Theres a judo national champ at my school and he pretty much destroys all the non black belts that visit. But good luck!

9th in olympics too

Broken ribs? How'd that happen? I saw you twist and yelp but it didn't look like anything "serious" happened to cause it.

i bet the judo black belt is anticipating the pull guard & drilling stuff to counter it. dive for the leg ala imanari. that might disorient him for a couple of seconds.

My x-guard game has worked really well against higher level
judo guys... My game plan would to try to pull guard immediatly, but
he knows you're gonna do that, so i would suggest pulling half...
getting the elevator and either work for a sweep or quickly
transition to x-guard...

I think it depends on the wrestler. If you're fighting a tap and shoot wrestler, yeah, he's toast. If you are talking about a wrestler with a crazy clinch/greco game, then nope. Once we learn to use and defend grips we're a problem for even high level judoka. At least this has been my personal experience.

Judoka and wrestlers can both be a handful for each other once they get used to the gi/no-gi, at least until you get to international level. At that level the guys are so good that it'll take years for a judoka to be competitive in wrestling, or a wrestler to be competitive in judo. Its why no one has ever won Olympic medals in both judo and wrestling.

To the original poster - who's the national champ? I didn't realize any of the national team members were competing in BJJ ... kind of strange thing for them to do, seeing as they're supposed to working on getting enough international points to qualify for the Olympics (ie being 1st in your country isn't enough to qualify for the Olympics, you have to get enough points in international tournaments to earn a spot). In any case, if you give me the name I can tell you if he's got decent groundwork or not.

Broken ribs? How'd that happen? I saw you twist and yelp but it didn't look like anything "serious" happened to cause it.

That's the crazy thing, nothing serious happened. I went to belly down just like I normally do and when I turned my upper body my ribs just...well basically exploded.

I have some rib problems, that is actually the 4th time I've broke my ribs. The first three times I broke them on my right side and the last time (and in that video) I broke them on the left. My ribs havent ever healed correctly and like many people that have broken their ribs in the past I have knobs and protrusions that shouldnt be there. It's more than a little annoying (continuously breaking them, not the knobs and protrusions LoL)

That's the crazy thing, nothing serious happened. I went to belly down just like I normally do and when I turned my upper body my ribs just...well basically exploded.

I have some rib problems, that is actually the 4th time I've broke my ribs. The first three times I broke them on my right side and the last time (and in that video) I broke them on the left. My ribs havent ever healed correctly and like many people that have broken their ribs in the past I have knobs and protrusions that shouldnt be there. It's more than a little annoying (continuously breaking them, not the knobs and protrusions LoL)
Sucks to be you.... :D I sympathise - I've done my rib cartilage which hurt like anything and kept re-occurring plus cracked a rib thanks to some fat black belt with more ego than technique.

Back