New BJJ Blue Belt vs National Champ Judo Black Belt?

chino3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Well I am a brand new blue belt, and decided to go ahead and compete at the US Open... what they hay right? Well my first match is against (obviously a blue belt in BJJ) a national champ judo black belt... am I totally fucked?

Just looking for any advice to calm my nerves lol. Any tips to break down a judoka? Any places they hate being?

Thanks!

Pull guard with the quickness unless you want a Chino3 shaped dent in the mat.

I'd honestly be kinda interested if I can defend takedowns from a Natl Champ Judo guy. Maybe if I was up on a ton of points. :D

Pull Guard IMMEDIATELY. Don't let him get his grips on your gi or else you're gonna get judo ragdolled by a crazy hip throw. On the ground, he should have some skills and experience but it should be a great fight depending on his athleticism/skills and yours.

Technique wise on the ground, an advanced BJJ Blue Belt might be similar to a Judo black Belt. Depends on the person I guess.

What weight class are you in?
I wonder if you are going against my academies Judo instructor.

Obviously don't try to play stand-up with him. Pull guard.

Make sure you are good with regaining guard from side control bottom. With that said sharpen your guard game. Don't let him pin your back (I mean this rule is always the case but moreso with judokas!). Judokas can hold you there for an eternity.

BREAK GRIPS BREAK GRIPS BREAK GRIPS!

Talk to your coach about strategy. If he is a national champ there might be videos of him doing newaza. Break it down!

There is no need to lose your nerves. If you are losing them now, then they will totally be lost in the match. Just plan it out. When you stay out of his element, the playing field is leveled.

Just curious - What would you do if you a pretty accomplished takedown Wrestler? I understand there's a Gi, how good are Judo guys at defending high level singles/doubles?

Im actually more nervous about the open division on friday lol.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been working a lot with my judo team lately for stand up, so I can read throws pretty well, but it never feels good when one sneaks in! As our coach says "theres a new speed bump in china"

Technique wise on the ground, an advanced BJJ Blue Belt might be similar to a Judo black Belt. Depends on the person I guess.

I have to agree. I rolled with a judo black belt the other night in a no gi class and I think he was atleast an advanced blue if not a purple belt in skill.

Like the others said... Get your grips and pull guard immediately. We've got a few pretty high level judo guys at my school and their both like rolling with brick walls. Good luck though man... Bring back the hardware!

Just curious - What would you do if you a pretty accomplished takedown Wrestler? I understand there's a Gi, how good are Judo guys at defending high level singles/doubles?

accomplished wrestler VS accomplished judoka in a gi match?

If the wrestler were to get close enough to tie-up/setup his shot then he is close enough for the judoka to get grips. Once the grips are in place, it becomes something totally different. Either one can still take each other down but I would give the edge to the judoka. Conversely in a no-gi match, I would give the edge to the wrestler.

I would think a good strategy would be is to obviously pull guard and then use an unconventional guard that judokas may not practice defending much, like Spider or X guard.

Im actually more nervous about the open division on friday lol.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have been working a lot with my judo team lately for stand up, so I can read throws pretty well, but it never feels good when one sneaks in! As our coach says "theres a new speed bump in china"

A few weeks or even months of working standup probably isnt going to do much in the standup department against a national champ in judo. I would work on your subs from guard.

accomplished wrestler VS accomplished judoka in a gi match?

If the wrestler were to get close enough to tie-up/setup his shot then he is close enough for the judoka to get grips. Once the grips are in place, it becomes something totally different. Either one can still take each other down but I would give the edge to the judoka. Conversely in a no-gi match, I would give the edge to the wrestler.

I would too, but would be interesting to watch someone like a Stephen Abas going against a National Champ Judo guy in a Gi.

Which age and weight division are you in Chino?

A few weeks or even months of working standup probably isnt going to do much in the standup department against a national champ in judo. I would work on your subs from guard.

oh absolutely! I dont feel like I could take even the little kids in our judo class in throws (these kids area beasts!!!), but I feel a lot more comfortable watching their feet/grips/hips etc. granted, if they grab ya, hold on!

Win or lose, put this match up on youtube. I'm interested in seeing this.

Work on pulling guard in class. Work on getting back to guard from cross body. Work on spider and X guard also. Id try to stay away from having closed guard for too long.

Back