New BJJ Blue Belt vs National Champ Judo Black Belt?

Actually I'd be tempted to say get really low and shoot for a double right away. Unless he has a a really good sprawl from a failed shot it is pretty simple to pull guard and who the hell knows you might actually get a takedown.

Actually I'd be tempted to say get really low and shoot for a double right away. Unless he has a a really good sprawl from a failed shot it is pretty simple to pull guard and who the hell knows you might actually get a takedown.

Depends on the TS' Wrestling experience.

The only takedown I know which is semi-safe on Judokas is a low single. When I saw low i mean freaking low. Assuming that guy is good he'll figure out your guard pulling plan pretty quickly and it's very difficult to pull guard on a very good judoka when he knows whats up. What I'm saying is that if you find difficulty pulling guard straight up then shoot for low single and pull half guard or something.

Depends on the TS' Wrestling experience.

Very true of course, but it takes and extremely strong sprawl to not be able to sit into guard off of a failed double leg and I think I'd take that course over even touching BB in Judo's lapels from standing. It might be worth drilling a simple double leg and working staying low from the start and just exploding into it. Then have someone sprawl on you and just work on sitting into guard.

Very true of course, but it takes and extremely strong sprawl to not be able to sit into guard off of a failed double leg and I think I'd take that course over even touching BB in Judo's lapels from standing. It might be worth drilling a simple double leg and working staying low from the start and just exploding into it. Then have someone sprawl on you and just work on sitting into guard.

Yes, then add training how to roll to the guard on a failed takedown instead of having your back taken. :D

As a former Wrestler I personally think that a high lvl judo plater will have better wrestling tD def in the gi than a person with no wrestling skills suddenly drilling wrestling. The very least I wouldn't use it in competition unless he was well versed in takedowns. Play to your strengths and use less moves IMO. Work on the little details of what you are good at. This all depends on the ts' wrestling background though. I think if he wrestled, he would have stated it in the first post though.

Last edited:
This champion competed in the purple belt division atthis tourney I was at and he freakin destroyed the other guy (who actualy was a purple belt)

But then again, it might be case by case. I exchanged takedowns when sparring with a judo champion. Then again, I'm a wrestler and judoka myself.

He literally had no clue how to deal with my x guard so that's my suggestion. X guard, stand and base and take your free takedown. If he's pure judo he will likely turtle.

You said that this Judoka is an actual blue belt in BJJ or just entered into the blue belt division?

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

If he's an actuall BJJ blue belt then I would say you're in for a hell of a battle as his ground game is probably similar, if not more aggro, than yours, but, his standup should murder you.

Fear not! His takedown is only just that, a takedown worth 2 points and if done correctly, good position. If you're comfortable from your back or escaping side control then you'll be OK.

Just don't freak out if you get airborne, stay calm and enjoy the ride, the plane will be landing shortly

I also noticed you said you're a brand new blue belt.

Lots of Judo guys don't pace them selves very well. We have the bull in a china mentality as we are used to having very small windows of time to get a submission. This sometimes leads to leaving ourselves vulnerable to a lot of things.
Don't let him overwhelm you, slow down your breathing and wait for him to expose himself.

Just remember to play your game and stick to what you know

Yes, then add training how to roll to the guard on a failed takedown instead of having your back taken. :D

Listen I'm not saying this is going to not be an extremely uphill battle because it is. What I am trying to say is I'd rather take the aggressive position in a tourney and against someone who is a legitimate judo threat the last thing I want to let that guy do is start playing with my balance and gi from standing because I'm sure he knows more than enough throws that probably would land him in a mounted position.

I'm actually not really too sure how often one sprawls out in judo so there is a decent chance his sprawl might not be the greatest and then it really is easy to sit into it especially if you've really drilled just doing that, but the longer that the match stays standing the chance goes up that your going to get rocked. You might as well get it to where your comfortable ASAP.

Pull guard. How did you find out he was a judo champ? Did you youtube scout him or what?

Definitely go for unconventional guards! I remember the first time I faced a good technical blue who was throwing stuff at me I had never touched before like deep half, X Guard, DLR, etc. It just stopped me cold because I was in brand new territory and my game suddenly got very disjointed as I tried to feel my way around a brand new situation.

There's little to no sprawling in Judo. Why waste all that energy pushing back against them when there are several comfortable ways to roll with it or redirect it a BB worth his salt will know instinctually?

What kind of "national" champion are you referring? There is a big difference between winning an invitational "national" where only locals compete and winning the olympic qualifiers.

As people have mentioned, pull guard and work into sweeps, if he has judo mentality and training he will prefer the top game, and if you manage to pin him, there is a big chance he will roll over face down.

In anyway i doubt you will win, mainly because if he is a legit national champ he then have the superior mental game and its used to gruesome matches, not to mention his physical shape its probably miles ahead of yours.

Seems odd he is competing at blue, i think he is either sandbagging or he is not a legit national champ

just play your game, you are a blue belt and he a national champ black belt in judo. You have nothing to loose.

Well I am a brand new blue belt, and decided to go ahead and compete at the US Open... what they hay right? Well my first match is against (obviously a blue belt in BJJ) a national champ judo black belt... am I totally fucked?

Just looking for any advice to calm my nerves lol. Any tips to break down a judoka? Any places they hate being?

Thanks!

Yes, if he actually trains BJJ and is a blue belt in addition to being a national champion in judo. If not, do what everyone else is saying and pull an unconventional guard. In my experience (judo and bjj for 2 years), good judo players are well versed in smashing the closed guard, but butterfly, X-guard, or any guard not typically seen in judo can catch them off guard.

However, you're still at a disadvantage because he will absolutely fuck you if he gets his grips and gets a throw that puts you in a disadvantageous position (i.e. side control, half guard, and the hold-down positions like kesa). They're great at passing into mount from there. If you've got a fast shot, then you should go for an outside single or double because they're banned in judo, and he probably hasn't trained for them as extensively.

EDIT: I'm wrong about the takedown comment. I had never seen them done before, so I just assumed they were banned the whole time I've been training. Not the case.

Last edited:
On wrestling vs judo in a gi match it depends, at low levels wrestlers do very good because at low levels there is little grip fighting and footwork, they play like if it was early 1900s judo. When they actually fight someone who fights grips and moves, its ugly seeing how wrestlers lose.

I once saw a mundialist wrestler lose in 5 seconds in a judo match against a former wrestler who trained judo with a high caliber coach for 3 months basically match started, he got grips pulled forward did uchimata, wrestler defended so it combined uchimata with kouchi and he fell.

Basically get on grip and start moving, they fall alone.

When it comes to wrestling, obviously the wrestler its going to be the superior man, however the judoka will most likely have the superior TDD in any sport. This may change with new rules though.

Its a lot like gi and no-gi, sure a no-gi man will be better than gi in a no gi match, but the gi man will probably be able to escape and defend easily.

i saw forget what his credentials are and stick to your game plan of doing what you know best. stay simple and stick with things that work and stay patient.

Personally I would just pull guard and go for a triangle.

If you've got a fast shot, then you should go for an outside single or double because they're banned in judo, and he probably hasn't trained for them as extensively.

HA!

The rule has only been in place for a couple months, bro.

Not like it automatically negated YEARS of training....

lol

^^^Damn, u beat me to it.

I keep hearing the funniest things about Judo lately since the rule change. Shoot on a Judoka in the gi, he hasnt competed with leg attacks since what? January? Even though anyone who's been training Judo for longer then a few months has definitely trained them considering they've been legal for over a century. He'll be clueless. :)

thanks for the advice guys. I just need to get out of my own head lol. Its all for fun anyways, win lose or draw... My absolute match is a different story as I am paired up with an ultra heavy, I just hope to make it to Sunday without anything broken lol :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back