New Article: Explosive Conditioning for MMA

Thanks a lot, EZA. I'll try this approach ASAP. I only have 3 weeks of training left so I'll give it my best. I wish I knew this 8 weeks ago :D

I'm going to try and implement these kind of protocals and see how I fair.

But first I need a heart monitor

The more i read on this the more i need to invest in a heart rate monitor

EZA,

I have what might be the dumbest question asked yet :D Where the hell do you put the watch (Polar F6 model) when sparring or any other time you're wearing boxing gloves? It doesn't fit around my forearm and my gloves and wraps go too far up my wrist to wear it like a normal person. It loses its signal when it gets more than 3 ft away from me so I can't just set it next to my training spot. I'd like to be able to monitor it closely during breaks so are you pinning that thing on a shirt or shorts or something? Ya, it's a dumbass question but I really don't know what too do with this thing so I can monitor it closely. I don't have pockets in my MT trunks :D When I did this before I had my wife just stand right behind me the whole time I hit the bag holding it. Obviously that method isn

monger ever tried looping it into the draw string of your shorts, not sure how active you are with the heavy bag but i've done that with my keys etc on long runs, wwon't really work for sparring though

monger ever tried looping it into the draw string of your shorts, not sure how active you are with the heavy bag but i've done that with my keys etc on long runs, wwon't really work for sparring though

It's a possibility. I don't know how it would affect me when kicking to have it flop around though. I was actually just thinking about taping it to my forearm or something. At least that way I can still monitor it with ease without having to take my gloves off.

It's a possibility. I don't know how it would affect me when kicking to have it flop around though. I was actually just thinking about taping it to my forearm or something. At least that way I can still monitor it with ease without having to take my gloves off.

Oh yeah i was thinking MMA gloves in my head, how long does it take to get the signal again once you walk away from it?

Oh yeah i was thinking MMA gloves in my head, how long does it take to get the signal again once you walk away from it?

I think it's like 15 seconds or something but I also think that it shuts off it goes long enough without a signal. I'm not sure how long that time period is. And yeah, I don't do MMA so I have no fingers :D

The more i read on this the more i need to invest in a heart rate monitor

Yeah, same here :icon_cry2

But I want one that will track the data, hence I'm thinking about the forerunner (so I can get some data on the actual runs as well as other stuff).

EZA,

I have what might be the dumbest question asked yet :D Where the hell do you put the watch (Polar F6 model) when sparring or any other time you're wearing boxing gloves? It doesn't fit around my forearm and my gloves and wraps go too far up my wrist to wear it like a normal person. It loses its signal when it gets more than 3 ft away from me so I can't just set it next to my training spot. I'd like to be able to monitor it closely during breaks so are you pinning that thing on a shirt or shorts or something? Ya, it's a dumbass question but I really don't know what too do with this thing so I can monitor it closely. I don't have pockets in my MT trunks :D When I did this before I had my wife just stand right behind me the whole time I hit the bag holding it. Obviously that method isn

I usually lace the watch into an athlete's gloves if they have on boxing gloves on with laces so they can read it on their wrist or I'll use a velcro strap and and athletic tape and strap it upper arm if that won't work. It takes some playing around with to get it right and I'm sure there's a better way to do it than I've come up with so far, but as long as it doesn't interfere with anything and you can quickly read the watch then it's fine. If anyone else comes up with some great invention for doing it let me know.

Excellent ideas, EZA. Thanks. Taping it to a velcro arm band seems like a great idea to me.

I ve read other trainers state that routines such as this with split phases are counter productive, as by the time you have spent on the 2nd phase you have lost much of the abilities gained in the 1st phase.

E.G If you do a maximal strength phase first, then and explosive strength phase next, does neglecting your maximal strength in the 2nd phase not mean that it suffers and you there fore don t get the most from your future workouts and phases?

Would it not be better to train them concurrently?

That question was already asked in post #7 and answered in post #8. This isn't the same as having a hypertrophy phase and then a power phase, etc... EZA's article is based on alactic power and one phase builds on the earlier phases so you don't lose adaptations gained previously for alactic power. Check out EZA

Yes this is correct with respect to the alactic power progression and also in the context of maximal strength phases, it is when you cut your volume after a period of concentrated loading that your maximal strength will actually improve the most. This is know as the long term delayed effect of training and it's part of what the conjugate training system is all about. Keep in mind this is for higher level athletes and trainees not beginners.

it is when you cut your volume after a period of concentrated loading that your maximal strength will actually improve the most.

EZA, would you mind expanding on this a little bit. You sort of lost me here... or are you just referring to deloading/peaking?

EZA-what are some things you like to use for active rest???thanks for opening my eyes to a much better approach to cardio!

Can some one please simplifie the post? I dont seem to understand the terms.

Monger,

Concentrated loading and the Long Term Delayed Effect of trainining is a fundamental principle of periodization for higher level athletes and it is different from just de-loading or tapering. At some point in order to continue development you have to use concentrated periods of loading rather than distributed. These are essentially blocks of such high loading that you see a temporary decrease in motor abilities, i.e. explosive power actually goes down, until you decrease the volume and replace the means with different but more intense ones.

This is essentially what conjugate sequencing is about and it's nothing really like what has popularly been called conjugate training by Westside Barbell. After a series of intense concentrated loadings that each target one motor ability you reduce volume and over a period equal to the amount of time of concentrated loading you see a functional rise in motor abilities.

This probably sounds more complicated than it really is. Essentially the idea behind conjugate sequencing and concentraded loading is simple. You use a particular means until it's no longer effective, then you gradudally replace it with a more intense one and use it until it's no longer effective, and then it again gets gradually replaced with a more intense one, etc.

To give you a real world example of this in a vertical jump development program it would look like this:

Block A: Max Effort Strength Training
Block B: Explosive weights & Jumps
Block C: Jumps & Shock Method

Following these concentrated blocks you would begin intensive periods of skill work and greatly decreased volumes of strength work. Over this period you would see a dramatic rise in the level of strength to one higher than at the start of the loading.

Again. this model is only for higher level athletes and trainees not for beginners or people with little training. At some point this type of loading scheme is necessary to keep seeing improvements in strength, explosive power, speed etc.

That question was already asked in post #7 and answered in post #8. This isn't the same as having a hypertrophy phase and then a power phase, etc... EZA's article is based on alactic power and one phase builds on the earlier phases so you don't lose adaptations gained previously for alactic power. Check out EZA

Back